Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

assistance please

1381 Views 12 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  locoblanco
So after mounting my RS-3 2 into 1 exhaust Friday I went for a spin. LOVE the sound FWIW. I unloaded my bike out of our portable garage (trailer) yesterday to clean it up and found some antifreeze on the floor of the trailer :angry4: . My guess is that it came from the left side of the bike (while sitting on it) since there was some on the outer engine casing. I have previously noted a slight scent of antifreeze before, but never seen any liquid until yesterday. I don't even know where to start chasing this gremlin, or if it would be worth it to just take it to the *********** and letting them fix. Any thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Check all your hoses and fittings.
that was the only thing i could think of. didnt know if anyone had a weird experience with something that might be insightful. Seems to happen more often than not on SVR. BTW I just noticed that steal-er-ship was *'d out LOL. Didn't know that was a curse!
Clean it all up, take it for a spin and see if it spouts any more. It should be easier to trace the source with it all cleaned up and shiny.
I guess I should have added more to this as well (at work, trying to keep SVR to a minimum, yeah, right!) I ran it yesterday in the driveway while I was cleaning it and it didn't push any out while it was running onto the driveway or down onto the casing. I put cardboard under it when I put it back in the trailer to see if more comes out.
i had a leak when i first bought mine,dam bike shop never had the hose tight.
Possibly to much coolant in the reservoir?
actually when i looked at it last night it didnt appear to have any coolant in the reservoir. I know sometimes it is hard to see through that yellow plastic and i didnt feel like tearing the bike down in the cold, so we'll see soon enough. It never got too hot or threw a temp light on me so i am ??? It ran fine and I didn't see "milk chocolate" through the sight glass. I am just gonna have to check all my hoses and connections, double check the sight glass, check/fill reservoir & radiator, clean the casing and go from there. not really sure what to do short of taking it to a stealer if i cant figure it out from there.
Mine leaks periodically also. There are two hose clamps which are accessed from the left side that are the problem. They are the really cheappy kind of clamps. I just tighten them a little. Maybe once-a-year. It seems to only be a problem when my engine temp gets up there in the summertime. Thanks for reminding me. I should put the good clamps on there before I saw through the rubber...
My radiator hose clamp on the left side had to be tightened. Fixed it! ;)
Mine leaks periodically also. There are two hose clamps which are accessed from the left side that are the problem. They are the really cheappy kind of clamps. I just tighten them a little. Maybe once-a-year. It seems to only be a problem when my engine temp gets up there in the summertime. Thanks for reminding me. I should put the good clamps on there before I saw through the rubber...

What good clamps are you putting on. It appears that the leak came from the afforementioned left side by (what i think is) the thermostat housing. It has the worm screw type hose clamps and i tightened it to the point that it ran out of worm screw last night. It doesn't appear to have compressed the hose to a bad point so i wonder if a PO had replaced it.
I think I will replace mine with these.
http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=700+4294733687+4294839033+115+4294860610
We stock a different style at my workplace also, which I will try first. I'm just not a huge fan of our stock SV style, they seem to cut into the hoses too much. JMHO...
i haven't had any problems with my stock hose clamps, but i'm in a warm climate. sometimes cold weather will make a clamp leak, as everything contracts a bit from the cold. a turn of the screw should take care of it.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.