Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On May 27 I was in an accident with my 2003 sv650s. As I was leaving work a young girl ran me and my baby (bike) over while talking on her cell phone (which is illegal at least in New York) and attempting to drive a car that was to big for her.
I woke up in an ICU ward three days later and still can?t remember anything past leaving the job site. I know have a minimum of four more months before I (with luck) will walk again. I have a permanent rod holding my right femur together and three pins in my right foot. We are hoping to be able to complete the rebuild on my left shoulder in the next month. Thus far at least my ribs are healing. In addition I have already been informed that my life now has to take a drastic change, as I will never be able to continue in my career choice due to the permanent skeletal damage to my body.
My bike is totaled, but I do hope to ride again next year. I?ve posted a rough idea as to where I might start if I decide to try to rebuild. I plan to add pics of the bike soon. I hope these pics are educational to those who view them and would state on the onset that the bike got the better end of the deal as my mother barely recognixed me when she first saw me in the hospitalA lot of my local friends have been very supportive and helpful, so I have plenty of this. I joined this forum hoping to research the rebuild on my bike and to have another out let to attempt to reach out to those motorist who have no respect and no idea as to how much they can endanger another just through a sheer act of stupidity. Not that I in any way feel that every law and act passed is far. But I hope people who read this will realize that those little things (cell phone laws) are there to protect other people from you as much as to protect you from them. Ride safe and please if you have the time remind your friends and family that when they drive it's more than their own life at risk. It's your and mine too. :|

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
Sorry to hear about this. It makes me wonder how long it will take for someone to start looking at how many crashes are related to ass-bags talking on their cell phone. I hope they punish that wench to the fullest extent of the law. Heal fast, it sounds like you have a pretty good outlook on things too. Keep it up. BTW, I edited your post. That yellow was driving me nuts.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Daaaaamn!!!! :shock:

Heal fast. Most people will never have to go through such a life changing event.

Just curious as to what gear you were wearing and what worked and what didn't???

Glad to have you here :D

·
site supporter
6,095 Posts
I'm sorry that inattentive woman turned you into a sad statistic.
Take the time you need to heal. Some of it will be hard work, but working to get back to the best condition you can be is worthwhile effort.
Good luck to you on your recovery.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I hope you can ride again. You sound like you know whats up in life and we need more riders like that around especialy now that your a Veteran.

Heal Fast, and I hope because of your incident at least one person knows not to talk on their cell phone while driving.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Is her insurance taking care of you at least?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Sorry to hear about your wreck :( Get well soon.

Where in NY are you? I'm moving back to the Syracuse area early next year, if you're anywhere close just let me know and i'd be more than happy to help out with the SV resurection.

·
Banned
363 Posts
Wow... I am sorry for your misfortune.

I hope you heal quickly.

-Mike

·
Registered
179 Posts
That's great that your ok. What happened to the girl? Did she stick around and accept her punishment? Did she get a punishment?

I hope someday something will be done about people and their driving habbits. They need to stiffen up the punishments for traffic violations. It should be more difficult to get a licence in this country and we should have to have periodic testing to keep it. People just don't take driving seriously enough and it drives me crazy.

·
Registered
449 Posts
so she rear ended you?

turned left on you?

veered into you?

t-boned?

what i'm trying to get at is this: Was this accident avoidable?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A little more detail

As yet we aren't done in court so with hope things will be set straight there. I guess i wasn't clear but the accident transpired at an intersection where my route had no stop sign and she had a stop signand no blocked view. She just wasn't paying attention and was on the phone and "didn't see where he came from". Not that i was speeding(for once) i was in a thirty zone and based on accident reconstruction wasn't going over 30-35. I apologize to those who had a problem with the colors o0n my original post. as you might notice i haven't been keeping regular hours and find myself awake and very bored at extreme hours of the morning. I was going to post piacs today but for some reason they won't take. I'll try again tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
i hate ppl that talk on their cell fone while driving, that SHOULD BE ILLEGAL IN EVERY STATE... heal quick bud, keep on trucking :)

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I've had two close calls this summer at intersections with traffic lights. In both cases, I had the green and there were other cars already stopped in the intersected road. Drivers on cell phones blew through the intersection. In both cases, I don't think they even were aware of running a light, as they never slowed down or didn't even stop talking.

Cell phones are worse than driving drunk IMO.

Good luck with your injuries and your lawsuit.

·
Registered
110 Posts
the cell phone thing is a major problem.

I am almost always in the left most lane of traffic, and every car I approach I look to see if their on a phone (they NEVER signal if they are).

Even with being that careful, I still got nailed by a non-signaler into my lane this summer (tinted windows, couldn't see if they were on a phone).

I really don't think the hand-free device thing cures the problem either.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Scotch said:
I really don't think the hand-free device thing cures the problem either.
Most definately. The problem is not that both hands are not on the wheel. The problem is that not enough of their brain is involved with driving the f..ing car!

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
Best wishes for your recovery, keep posting and let us know how you are doing. So sorry that this happened to you!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts