Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure where to begin with this.

I bought the bike approx. 2 years ago. 1977 Honda CB750K.

Had ambitious plans. It was in rough shape, but not worthless. Salvageable, IMO. It had carbs, an engine, and a frame. All were in relatively good condition. Worth the $400 I gave to the guy.

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I got the bike home where I began began tearing it apart, and junking everything that was corroded beyond repair, cracked, rotted, and utterly worthless.

Pulled the carbs out, took them inside, and began to "clean" them. This is where I stopped. I found out that things are a little more complicated inside this bike than what I had previously thought. :(

This was going to take reading, research, organization, time, money, patience, and ambition. I was lacking every one of those skills. So the bike sat for almost 2 years, in the parking lot, under a deteriorating cover. I replaced the cover about 3 months ago, when a friend gave me a "new" one.

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Somewhere in this 2 years, I also lost the key. I began to find ways of fixing this. I'm not worried about starting the bike just yet, but I am worried about getting the seat off. Through a little research, I found out you can take the pins out of the other side, lift up the seat just enough to take the bolts out of the locking mechanism, and get it off that way.

I also began to realize that rebuilding the bike in the parking lot just wasn't going to work. I don't have a garage I can borrow either. Add in the fact that I live on the 2nd floor, and things become frustrating. :BangHead:

Once again, I dive in with a wrench, and begin to solve my problem by slowly taking apart the bike, piece by piece, and hauling it upstairs. If I can get it down to the frame and engine, I should be able to carry it up with the help of a friend.

Unfortunately, in the process of tearing down, I notice this nice bit of corrossion around the exhaust ports.

Results of sitting for almost 2 years in a SE Virginian climate, as well as someone who doesn't know what that will do to a motorbike. :BangHead: once again.

The teardown continues, regardless...

I'm left with this pile of parts...

... as well as a bunch more inside. Forks seem good. And I was surprised at how easy alot of the bolts/nuts came apart, and how good of condition they were in. I have yet to have to use any kind of liquid breaker or lubricant to remove parts. IMO, this is a good sign.

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A problem I can see coming. Wiring.

The front harness seems like it's been "messed with". Not sure what/who did this, but it doesn't look like it was a Japanese person. I see a lot of splicing and half-assed connectors. The rest of the system seems in tact though. Not sure how hard it would be for me to get my hands on a new harness. My guess is... hard. I am hoping to find at least a diagram to help me out in the future.

With the front end off, it seems light... in the front. The rear is another question. I cannot support the rear with the stand I have now. I'm hoping I can leave the swingarm on the bike to carry it up... but may have to remove that as well.

So I need to rig something up to support the bike by the subframe. With the rear tire/ass'y off, I think the bike will be quite light. Well, light enough for two people to carry it up 15 steps and into the apartment.

Also, I've decided that cutting the chain off is necessary. It's completely rusted and worthless anyway. It's a 630 chain, so I might need something beefier than my Dremel.

Oh, and playing around, I was able to shift the bike... so I guess the insides can't be all THAT bad.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
good lord, the damage is already done, but you should have at least researched how to store a bike if you were gonna let it sit under a cover for 2 years. You could have probably avoided so much of that corrosion just by putting some motor oil into the cylinders before storing.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
It's path from "needs a little work" to "parts bike" to "basket case" seems to be moving along faster than usual. In just 2 years you have accomplished what usually takes a decade and 2 or 3 owners :)

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
It's path from "needs a little work" to "parts bike" to "basket case" seems to be moving along faster than usual. In just 2 years you have accomplished what usually takes a decade and 2 or 3 owners :)
BWAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAH

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm not sure if what you said is good or bad.

So here's a looped .gif to pass the time.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
The point I was making is that when a bike is taken apart, it's unlikely that it gets put back together. It's easy to take things apart, it takes time, money and discipline to put them back together.

I think the average life cycle of a motorcycle is...

1:Man who has too much money and feels bored with life buys motorcycle.
2:He rides it for 1 or 2 seasons.
3:Motorcycle sits in garage for a couple years,
4A:maybe he sells it,
4B:if not it will eventually end up in the back yard.
5:Someone buys it.
5A:They fix it up, or
5B: They take it apart.
6:They sell it to someone who wants to "fix it" but instead takes it the rest of the way apart.
7:They sell it to someone who uses it for parts.

That ladies and gentlemen is the life cycle of a motorcycle :)

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, I know what you mean now. It is very, very, easy to take it apart. I'm going to try and get it back together eventually. I'm trying little things (like starting a public thread), that might motivate me, and keep people supporting me (giving me a kick in the ass now and then), to get it done. I have no schedule, but feel I need to do something to erase the frustration of the SV at the moment.

This is the result.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Do it. Do it. Do it.

I have personally known only 1 guy who have taken a complete basket case apart & rebuilt it. You met him - Rob - he was riding the HD Springer on our BRP ride.

He rebuilt a non-running 74 CB500. And it worked. Nifty bike, too. Wish I'd have bought it off him now. :(

·
Registered
394 Posts
AWESOME!! Let me know if you need any help!

1 - 20 of 65 Posts