Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Installation: Simple and straightforward, even without instructions. Used a sawzall to cut 2" behind weld. A little bit of dish soap to lube up the midpipe and exhaust can components, press together, align properly and start tightening clamps.

Sound: LOUD!! :eek: I've spent the better part of six years listening to the wet fart stock exhaust, so this can is a rude awakening. I will definitely have to modify my start/idle/ride off behavior for my early morning starts to avoid pissing off the neighbors too badly. Nowhere near as loud as a straight piped Harley, monster truck, or ricer, though. At speed, the sound is dreamy, especially corner roll-ons... 8)

Power: My butt dyno measures 2-4 hp increase, with the mid-range (4-7K rpm) getting the most benefit. Lost around 300-350 rpm in the RPM/speedo sync, meaning 6th gear is doing an indicated 70mph at ~4600-4700 rpm vs 70 at ~5000 with the stock can. I should mention that I have stock jetting, no snorkel, stock airbox, and 15-44 sprockets.

Throttle response: Wow. Smmmoooooth, especially through the midrange. Gone is the slight hiccup at 4500-5000 under brisk acceleration.

Wish I had done an aftermarket slip on (Manufacturer not relevant) sooner...

·
Registered
231 Posts
So we can safely say your a happy camper then? Do you get the snap crackle pop on decel? Yes, I have heard the Art cans were pretty loud. But, I think you were so use the stock muffled sound. That any after market slip on would really seem loud at first. :eek:
I know that was the way it was with me at first with Vance & Hines slip on mufflers on my VS1400 Intruder.
After a couple of weeks it just seems natural. Still gotta idle outta the hood in the AM though. ;D
Cheers! 8)

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just got back from a spirited 6.5 hour ride. What sweet music!! Definitely improved throttle response, smoother all over.

A1A-- I'm still grinning, the sound is awesome! 8) Definitely loud compared to the whisper quiet stock exhaust, but not excessive IMO. I rode with a friend from work who has an '01 SVS with dual high mount Nikkos, and his is just a little bit louder. I think my ART is a tad louder than comparable TBR, Scorpion, and maybe the Yosh cans, probably on par with the Holeshot. Snap, crackle, pop on deceleration is right, I will have to refine and smooth out my throttle closing and/or look into the PAIR valve mod.

One other thing I noticed is a significant decrease in engine braking...

[edit: Early fuel efficiency measurements indicate I lost at most 2-4 mpg. This may have been due entirely to the pace of today's ride, though. :-X ]

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep yep. Got the early word on ART folding from you gents on the civilized continent and the sv650.org exhaust section. Started fishing for closeout/clearance cans, and whammo! Took a little while, but I'm happy... :D

·
Registered
485 Posts
I got the same slip on! 8)
Installed it a month ago, and yes it sounds beautiful.
I also got a Drop in K&N (cheap around 25$) and i'll tell you they are made for each other.
Waiting on better financial times to get the power commander also and then i'm done with performance mods.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Almost forgot , on top end speed i got about 15mph more after the 2 mods.
And of course the increased acceleration is there also.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was able to purchase the ART anodized blue oval slip-on at a great discount, but it came with no clamp (no extra hardware whatsoever). I bought an '01 SV650S with some minor damage. It however was missing the after-market exhaust can. Is there an online source I can use to purchase a clamp that would allow me to hang the ART slip-on onto the exhaust bracket? Is there also some sort of heat-resistant rubber that I could use with the clamp to prevent scratching the slip-on?

Thanks,
Gary.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
A lot of cans are pretty much standard sizes- in fact, you'll probably find that ART used the same suppliers for the sleeves as some of the other UK manufacturers, I'm pretty sure they didn't make them onsite. No guarantees, unfortunately, but I bet you ten british pence that if you can find a Blueflame strap, it'll fit an oval ART.

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
dennis kirk sells/sold the complete kit to mount an ART can, i didn't see it listed just now, i had a scorpion high mount and bought an ART can a few months back, it fits on the scorpion highmount midpipe ;)

·
Registered
737 Posts
Six Chin Skinny said:
Power: Lost around 300-350 rpm in the RPM/speedo sync, meaning 6th gear is doing an indicated 70mph at ~4600-4700 rpm vs 70 at ~5000 with the stock can.  I should mention that I have stock jetting, no snorkel, stock airbox, and 15-44 sprockets.
Sorry, that can't be. If you didn't change gearing then having an exhaust on there will not make ANY change to what speed you are running for a given RPM.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Maritan said:
Sorry, that can't be. If you didn't change gearing then having an exhaust on there will not make ANY change to what speed you are running for a given RPM.

Just an observation, and I'm sticking to it.... ;)

·
Registered
72 Posts
We put an ART can on my buddys GXR 600. It didn't have clamp so he went to local bike shop and got a YOSH clamp. Worked fine. 15 bucks i think.

ian

1 - 13 of 13 Posts