Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanna buy a new jacket with armor but don't know exactly what to look for as far as armor spec's go. I've heard metal is bad cuz it heats up and 'melts' your skin in a slide. Definitely getting leather though. Current mesh jacket has armor pads that slide too much to be of any use.

Thanks...

GH

·
Registered
836 Posts
Guinness36 said:
Wanna buy a new jacket with armor but don't know exactly what to look for as far as armor spec's go. I've heard metal is bad cuz it heats up and 'melts' your skin in a slide. Definitely getting leather though. Current mesh jacket has armor pads that slide too much to be of any use.

Thanks...

GH
Look for CE approved plastic armor with foam underneath to disperse the impact. Removable armor is preferred as it gives you a range of adjustability, personal preference, and the option to swap out for higher quality bits.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
This is a question that has no really good answer. I have friends (and now a daughter) who are doctors. One of my buddies has worked trauma for decades.

The problem with selecting the "right" armor is that you never know what kind of wreck you're going to have. For example, Joe Rocket Airbag armor is a nice combination of softness, thickness, and resistance to compression. It won't prevent penetration injuries as well as hard armor. Hard armor will not protect as well as Airbag for impact. Airbag won't be as good as hard armor resisting abrasion, but abrasion injuries where the clothing and the armor both wore through are extremely rare.

Same with textiles vs. leather. Leather has excellent abrasion resistance, but you're more likely to get burned (friction heat).

Definitely get brand-name armor and clothing so quality of materials and construction is mostly assured. After that, what kind of wrecks do you plan to have and what do you plan to hit after you're down?

There is a definite priority to reduce long-term functional loss, based on long-term emergency room observation of wrecks and thier consequences. I can't quote the source, I don't remember it.
1. Head
2. Hands
3. Upper torso and arms
4. Feet, especially ankles
5. Legs

Note that #2 is hands. Note that "back" isn't there. That doesn't mean it's less important, it means either that the back is involved in fewer severe injuries or that protective gear would not have helped.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
Ben Jammin' said:
  Look for CE approved plastic armor with foam underneath to disperse the impact.  Removable armor is preferred as it gives you a range of adjustability, personal preference, and the option to swap out for higher quality bits.

+1.... with an articulated back protector, not just the foam pad.
With this type of armor in my leathers I've crashed twice on the track, got up and walked away both times. When I went shopping for street gear I was sure to get the same style armor (Joe Rocket Riot Jacket).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts