• 8-12 What did you say?

Votes: 15 5.4%
  • 13-15 Not deaf yet.

Votes: 49 17.6%
  • 16-18 I hear pretty well.

Votes: 114 41.0%
  • 19-20 Still hear everything.

Votes: 57 20.5%
  • 21-22 Super-hero: I can hear you typing right now.

Votes: 32 11.5%
  • I heard nothing- this is dumb, or my computer is broken.

Votes: 11 4.0%
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this on digg the other day. Pretty neat. Don't know exactly how scientific it is, but certainly fun.
I wear earplugs most every time I get on the bike. Been riding 7 years and still hear pretty well according to this test. I am 28yrs old, and hear all the way up to 19khz.
Here is the link:
http://www.noiseaddicts.com/2009/03/can-you-hear-this-hearing-test/

How high a tone could you hear?

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JB- I was still typing the poll up when you posted. Try it again. :)

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
this is why I play bass I can't hear the high notes. I blame society!

I also think it's my crappy headphones.

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
nope not the headphones.....I'm deaf. but my wife calls it selective hearing.

·
Registered
179 Posts
This is actually super interesting and a cool thing to show people as everyone has different results.

Check into the "Mosquito Ringtone."
This was originally developed (I believe) for Malls in the UK, to deter younger people from loitering. The older you get, the less high of a pitch you can hear. (Hearing damage can obviously play a part, but the real thing happening here is degredation of your hearing via age)

It was reverse engineered and the kids started using them as a ringtone at school. They could text each other in class, but the teachers could not hear anyone's phone.

If you get 2-3 people around and start playing them from high to low, it's pretty funny when the 1 person left is saying "I still don't hear anything."

·
Registered
414 Posts
14 sort of 15 nothing

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I taught highschool for a while. Some students had the mosquito ringtone and were shocked when I caught them. I couldn't tell where it was coming from, but I could hear it loud and clear. Kids.

·
Premium Member
2,695 Posts
Could kinda hear 18, but 17 was piercing! The dog didn't like 19 - but didn't seem to notice or care about anything higher than that.

dp

·
Registered
446 Posts
Well, do be aware on this one that depending on how good your computer speakers are, they might not be able to produce 17,000 on up. My desk top speakers maxed at 18,000 but with in ears I got up to 20,000. Just a heads up, have fun.

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
I could not hear anything passed 15...man I'm old and deaf apparently.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you could even just hear the 8 kHz tone you would still be considered to have normal hearing. A regular hearing test only measures 250 Hz-8 kHz. PLus, like someone else mentioned, computer speakers may not be able to produce frequencies that high and there is probably noise in the room with you. Plus, it depends on how you set your volume. I also encourage everyone to wear earplugs when around loud bikes! Hearing loss caused by noise is 100% preventable. I know what I am talking about. I am actually working on a PhD in Audiology right now. OK, enough with my lecture :)

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
^ thus your name there.

I can't believe I'm the only deaf person I couldn't get past 12.

WHAT WHAT? Get off my lawn!

·
Registered
9,562 Posts

1 - 20 of 103 Posts