Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So....This goes out to all my fellow engineers; whether you are sitting in a comfortable position or if you are a recent grad in the engineering field. I wanted to create this thread to bring us all together.

If your a recent grad:
1. Whats your major?
2. Where are you looking for work?
3. Any suggestions for others?

If you have a job:
1. What company do you work for and what do they do?
2. Could you help a recent grad with an application?
2. Any suggestions for others?

Note: I live in NH and for the most part, would like to keep this thread for local New England residents so things dont get too confusing.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ill go first...

1. I went to WIT for Electrical Engineering
2. I work full time at Allegro Micro systems as a tech. Its not the greatest job, but its money in the bank I guess. If anyone is looking for work I would be more then happy to put a resume in for you.
3. Tips: Network yourself. Meet people at the bar, meet people on the SV forum, meet people anywhere you go and see if you can get business cards. Having someone on the inside of a company is the best way to find an open position.

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
lucky to have a job:
1. What company do you work for and what do they do? Northrop Grumman Ship Building, we build the nuclear propelled Navy.
2. Could you help a recent grad with an application? Absolutely, right now we're in a hiring freeze but it can't last forever.
3. Any suggestions for others? Don't depend on passive methods (internet job sites, online application, etc.). Pick up the phone. Make an appointment with human resources. Find out what is available and make a case for how you can fill the position. Confidence and tenacity are rewarded in my experience.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I am currently at Pennstate working on my Masters in Materials Science and Engineering. Got my bachelors in EE at PSU. Probably looking to stay within academia but am considering looking for jobs in the semiconductor device field.

Let me know if anyone else wants to talk devices!

·
Registered
304 Posts
1. I work for a military contracting company. We produce military shelters and containers.
2. I can lend a hand if asked.
3. Look into business related training and experience. If you plan to consistantly grow and advance, you will someday need to branch away from a technical related position. There are only so many manager, director, and VP positions available in engineering.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm not in New England but still in the north east.

If you have a job:
Large multi-national conglomerate as a hardware (EE) and RF engineer​
Could help with a review but we're hiring experienced RF engineers at the moment​
2. Any suggestions for others?
Get exposed to as much as possible. Master at least one thing.​

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
I spent almost 8 years in the Boston rim working for a manufacturer and since moved to the southeast.

If you have a job:

I work for an electrical distribution company that is expanding into the industrial arena.

I could point them in a direction but don't have any hiring influence. I can give advice.

That first engineering job will determine whether you are a good fit for the profession. Not all people can handle the demands and the trick is the ability to determine where do you want to go from there. A large company allows movement within its ranks and the acquisition of a specialized skillset. A small company, if it is sound allows for acquiring a broad skill set which can be applied to many other career paths.

If you are unhappy, get out and do something else before you are on a career track you hate. It is quite hard to go from one specialty to another once you have over five years experience specializing in an area. Most companies want you to hit the ground running when they hire experienced engineers.

If you like what you are doing and are a new hire, look to master an area that everyone hates doing. It ensures stability in RIF's and enhances your competency and reputation.

Attitude goes a long way. The company does not owe you chit. I have seen so many employees with a sense of entitlement turn into bitter unproductive "victims". There are always choices to be made, money is not everything. I took a paycut to do the job I am doing now because I detested the corporate culture and office politics at my last job. I loved the work, but everything else just dragged me down to the point where I had this large lump in my gut everytime I drove to work.

I am very successful at my new job because I like it and quite passionate about it. Life is too short to do a job you hate. Keep your eyes open, network and remember one thing ... whatever field you are in is a small world. Word gets around and blowing up bridges will follow you to your grave. Bite your tongue and gracefully exit any situation you are not happy in. The respect you earn (it is never given) follows you and always comes around in the strangest times and places.

I had doors open for me by complete strangers because of good things I've done in the past. Hard to do but I am convinced that there is such a thing as karma.

Neemeth's comment about growth is spot on. Engineers that grow typically segue from technical fields into managerial positions. I am quite happy with the technical positions and have no interest in managerial positions.

Final point, whatever you choose to do ... NEVER STOP LEARNING.

Whether technical or managerial, the learning skills mastered by accomplishing an engineering degree can be applied to whatever you decide to do.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I am actually graduating in June 2011, but I was told to start looking for a job right now!
So if anyone has pointers/advice, I would greatly appreciate if you pm me.

1. Whats your major? Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering
2. Where are you looking for work? Currently in NYC, but willing to relocate
3. Any suggestions for others? Definitely check out your school's career office

·
Registered
103 Posts
I am a current student at Tennessee State University. I am hoping to graduate within the next two years.

1. Whats your major? Double major Bachelors degrees in Aeronautical and Industrial Technology and Electrical Engineering.

2. Where are you looking for work? Anywhere and everywhere!!

3.Any suggestions for others? Specialize in one or two main things in your field and NETWORK!

EDIT: sorry just read the part about New england residents but maybe i can move up there one day

·
Registered
65 Posts
Not the right area but figured I'd still post

If your a recent grad:
1. Whats your major? Electrical Engineering (April 2011) from the University of Alberta

2. Where are you looking for work? Outside the oilfield is my biggest criteria, I already have a job waiting for me there that would pay better than anything else I would find, but its not what I want to do, and I would choose happiness over money and I wanna enjoy my work.
I'm hopefully looking for work either on the west coast (Vancouver) or possibly looking towards the States eventually as I have lots of family down there. I wanna get into telecommunications

3. Any suggestions for others? Start looking early, we haven't even started out last year yet and there's already a dozen information sessions for companies hiring for April 2011

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
I'm not an engineer personally, but as a land use consultant, I occasionally subcontract with civil engineers, mostly for drainage reports

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am a current engineer with no college background:

1. I work for a Telecommunications company that focuses on Tactical Network/Satellite communications
2. Having no college experience, Im not sure if I could help with that part
3. In my experience (at least in this field).. knowledge and experience far outweights degrees and diplomas..

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Not the right area but figured I'd still post

If your a recent grad:
1. Whats your major? Electrical Engineering (April 2011) from the University of Alberta

2. Where are you looking for work? Outside the oilfield is my biggest criteria, I already have a job waiting for me there that would pay better than anything else I would find, but its not what I want to do, and I would choose happiness over money and I wanna enjoy my work.
I'm hopefully looking for work either on the west coast (Vancouver) or possibly looking towards the States eventually as I have lots of family down there. I wanna get into telecommunications

3. Any suggestions for others? Start looking early, we haven't even started out last year yet and there's already a dozen information sessions for companies hiring for April 2011
Right on, I'm a Materials undergrad at UofA as well, last semester. :D

·
Registered
337 Posts
Worked in the field for ten years with only a technology degree. I'm going to finally finish the actual degree from UTK this year.
The biggest thing is that your education will only get you so far. Most employers only care about results and your degree is only a foot in the door.
you will need to be good at what you do and your first job should be focused in a place where you will learn the most not who pays you the most.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Worked in the field for ten years with only a technology degree. I'm going to finally finish the actual degree from UTK this year.
The biggest thing is that your education will only get you so far. Most employers only care about results and your degree is only a foot in the door.
you will need to be good at what you do and your first job should be focused in a place where you will learn the most not who pays you the most.
Good advice, but in today's economy, its hard to get a start anywhere. Right now I am a technician being under utilized and I feel like I'm melting away in a corner. I'm looking other places, but I am not growing my experiences knowledge very fast which stinks. Its a tough market out there right now!

·
Registered
337 Posts
True, been to a couple of job fairs recently and you can get hired now if you have experience. Most of the companies at the job fairs actually are NOT hiring. Their HR and staffing folks have nothing better to do during a recession but to stand around their booth and collect resume's they will never look at. The ones that are hiring are looking for experience. If you have not finished school yet Co-op or intern! most folks we have hired out of school were offered right out of graduation because they have already worked with us.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you have a job:
- Emerson Climate Technologies, a business division of Emerson. I work for the group that builds compressors for refrigeration applications.

- Not personally. Just put in a resume and check for open job positions. Surprisingly we have been posting them quite frequently.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm a structural engineer, currently working for a full service engineering company (mostly commercial).

Can't help you here, we laid off quite a few people. Construction industry is not doing too well...I'm on the prowl myself.

Stay up to date on the current software and industry trends, take some continuing education courses if you have too.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.