·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is on the second gen rims...

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
i think they are painted. when you look at color-rite they have a silver for the bodywork and a silver for the wheels.

mine are powdercoated though

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
stranger said:
i think they are painted. when you look at color-rite they have a silver for the bodywork and a silver for the wheels.

mine are powdercoated though
I believe they would be painted cause bare metal usually corrodes and crap. I'm looking to temporarily paint my front rim to match hte F3 rim until winter time. If it were bare metal I'd have to primer it first or from my experience the paint I like to use won't stick.

·
Registered
171 Posts
If you just want it a different color, you can just sand the original paint that's on it and spray the other color ontop. You don't have to strip it down the bare metal/aluminum.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
03-SV650RR said:
If you just want it a different color, you can just sand the original paint that's on it and spray the other color ontop. You don't have to strip it down the bare metal/aluminum.
Thats exactly my intentions, I was mainly curious as to what is on the rim now to know ahead of time of the paint I use (dupli-color ceramic engine block paint, works great) is going to stick or not. I don wanna strip it down cause then I gotta primer it and so on...blah...

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Yes, and clear coated......

·
Registered
177 Posts
Even if you're too lazy to strip it down to bare metal (dont blame you, but FYI aircraft paint stripper from a hardware store works easy as pie), go ahead and throw down some primer. Makes a big difference.

Though come to think of it, I pained my GSXR wheels (same paint) by just sanding a bit and then throwing down the paint IIRC, held up fine for a year +. *shrug* (Krylon rules - I used Ultra-flat black rattle cans)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Does anyone know what color the rims are underneath the rim paint? I remember my friend accidentally stripped the paint of his bandit n they were bronze/gold colored sort of.

·
Super Moderator
7,054 Posts
Don't strip the factory paint IMO. I wouldn't prime unless there were bare metal spots after sanding (try to avoid going through the finish when sanding - just dull it).

Clean really well first, then lightly sand any flat/open areas with 400 wet, scuff the hard to get areas with a Scotchbrite pad, and wash the entire wheel again.

Before painting wipe down with a wax and grease remover or denatured alcohol. Wheel paint is you best bet for spray can paint.

If you were to powder coat them you'd strip/media blast, but repainting you are better going over the OEM finish.

Jay

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey look its me from 6 years ago.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts