Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an 07sv with about 5000 miles on it. at the end of last year i bent my front wheel on a curb. i swapped wheels this last weekend and ran into a question. i had my bike up on a front fork stand and didnt have a rear stand so a friend just held the bike while it was lifted up in the front. when i took off the front wheel the bikes forks did not want to hold it level. the left fork wanted to compress so it took a person to hold the bike to keep it from falling over to the left. the right fork compress slightly but held the weight of the bike with the person balancing it. i wanted to know if this could be typical with not using a rearstand or when taking off the front wheel or if something could be wrong with my fork from hitting the curb. with the wheel back on the bike it feels normal but wasnt sure if the right side fork is doing all the work. there was no oil or anything leaking from the left side as it sat since the accident over the winter.

sorry i posted in the wrong place earlier so i reposted.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I purchased the bike used. Bike was basically in brand new condition when I bought it. I have put about 1000 miles on it since last year.

·
Registered
789 Posts
It sounds like you're using a fork-lift rather than a center-stand to lift the front end of your bike.

So, if I'm not mistaken, the fork lengths are a bit different, at least they were for mine... see my pic with reference to front-fork stand

The difference between clutch side and brake side is about 7/16". I went back to the stand mfg'r and asked for a spacer for 7/16", and now it works fine.

Good luck!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i didnt notice that but possibly. i had a friend help me that knows more about changing wheels than me. it just seemed weird that the bike wanted to fall and i believe the fork was actually compressing on the lef side. ill have to double check that fork legth though to see if it was the cause. it was first time i have taken wheels off.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
[/QUOTE]The difference between clutch side and brake side is about 7/16". I went back to the stand mfg'r and asked for a spacer for 7/16", and now it works fine.

Good luck![/QUOTE]

how does the spacer work. i doubt a spacer for the harbor freight front stand is availible? would your spacer work wih any front stand?

·
Registered
39 Posts
hmm I wish I could help but I am in sort of the same situation on my 2005 SVS. I don't have a picture right now but stupid question regarding the forks. On the right fork towards the bottom end of the fork it seems to be split/cracked, but someone told me its made that way to hold the axle on, sorta like a clamping feature. Does anyone know what I mean? I just got thicker weight fork oil put in and thought the dealer over tightened the bolt or something but I am just very paranoid. Should I be worried or is this how the fork setup is on my year SV?

·
Registered
789 Posts
The difference between clutch side and brake side is about 7/16". I went back to the stand mfg'r and asked for a spacer for 7/16", and now it works fine.

Good luck!

how does the spacer work. i doubt a spacer for the harbor freight front stand is availible? would your spacer work wih any front stand?
Is this the front stand "type" that you have?
HarborFreight motorcycle fork stand

The fork stand that I have picks the bike up fron the "holes" at the bottom of both forks. If you have the one that's referenced in the link above, then I'm not sure how you'd put a spacer in. Best idea I'd have is to place a thicker cylindrical-pad on the contact points to equal 7/16"

Or you can get some DougZ fork sliders and use that as a liftin point instead of the bottom of the fork.
See SVR Thread: "DougZ Custimes - Fork sliders". Although I can't really see any potential "dangers" of dropping the front vs. using the bottom of the fork legs, hopefully the fork sliders are "wide" enough to sit in the stand-wells in order to lift the bike. Otherwise, if you're a good welder, maybe you can fab up a custom set of stand-lifts? The fork sliders go through the entire axle, so I don't see it being a fail point, but check with DougZ of course.

Here's a direct link to DougZCustoms - sliders site.

·
Registered
358 Posts
hmm I wish I could help but I am in sort of the same situation on my 2005 SVS. I don't have a picture right now but stupid question regarding the forks. On the right fork towards the bottom end of the fork it seems to be split/cracked, but someone told me its made that way to hold the axle on, sorta like a clamping feature. Does anyone know what I mean? I just got thicker weight fork oil put in and thought the dealer over tightened the bolt or something but I am just very paranoid. Should I be worried or is this how the fork setup is on my year SV?
You are correct. The left fork is threaded on the bottom and shorter. The right fork has the extra bolt to insure that the axle does not vibrate out. Which would be bad. Obviously. If you have questions it does not hurt to ask then you will know for sure.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Is this the front stand "type" that you have?
HarborFreight motorcycle fork stand

The fork stand that I have picks the bike up fron the "holes" at the bottom of both forks. If you have the one that's referenced in the link above, then I'm not sure how you'd put a spacer in. Best idea I'd have is to place a thicker cylindrical-pad on the contact points to equal 7/16"

Or you can get some DougZ fork sliders and use that as a liftin point instead of the bottom of the fork.
See SVR Thread: "DougZ Customs - Fork sliders". Although I can't really see any potential "dangers" of dropping the front vs. using the bottom of the fork legs, hopefully the fork sliders are "wide" enough to sit in the stand-wells in order to lift the bike. Otherwise, if you're a good welder, maybe you can fab up a custom set of stand-lifts? The fork sliders go through the entire axle, so I don't see it being a fail point, but check with DougZ of course.

Here's a direct link to DougZCustoms - sliders site.

I sincerely appreciate the shout out for my fork sliders, but would not recommend using them as a lift point. If its the SV650 front axle, the pucks are held on with with 6mm bolts. They will work fine for their intended use..holding the puck on, in a slide, to prevent fork damage, but not to support the weight of the front of the entire bike. Now if its a GSXR front end/axle, they would certainly be stronger since they are made with inset that goes into the axle recess. ...would probably still try to use something metal on bike to lift from.

the rears work for lifting the bike because they have a nice heavy M8 bolt and an inch long aluminum spool to use.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
For the OP..I had the same issue with my 96 Katana..using the same type stand. I just turned it about 20 ° towards the lower fork tube side..seemed to work for me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I didn't read some of the posts in the thread as they are referring to how to use a stand, but regardless of which fork stands will and will not work here is my take on it:

If you hit a curb hard enough to bend the wheel, you'd better have those forks checked out. I would be surprised if they are not in fact bent. Also, if you find that the tubes are bent it is likely that your lower triple is also bent.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts