Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
At 407 pounds dry, it's still too heavy. With the Japanese variants making 150+ hp at the wheel, the RSV still has it's work cut out for it. Hopefully a wider power band can make up for lower max horsepower and a heavier chassis.

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
I still dont understand why people compare bikes out of class.... any bike will have a superior counterpoint if not compared to SIMILAR BIKES.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Nudist said:
I still dont understand why people compare bikes out of class.... any bike will have a superior counterpoint if not compared to SIMILAR BIKES.
I don't understand your comment. RSV/RSV-R is in the same class as the Ducati 999S/999R. Both of these models compete with the Japanese superbikes.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Love the sculpted tank. Since 02 these things are torture racks. Sat on one at last years bike show and I swear the Kaw 10r was more comfy. Gotta love the styling though, after all they had the rear integrated rear end directionals before the gixxer 1k did.
As far as it being out of the same class as the I4 Japanese bikes, I say no way. The SBK superbike championship has Gixxer 1k's, Kaw 10R, CBR1000rr's and Duc 999's, a liter SS bike is a SS liter bike. Ducati wouldn't race if they were outclassed.

Under200

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
you see the pic of the "factory" version... with the gold frame and wheels? ... thats just overdoing it with the bling, damn.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
AvidSV650Rider said:
I don't understand your comment. RSV/RSV-R is in the same class as the Ducati 999S/999R. Both of these models compete with the Japanese superbikes.
and they are both a lot heavier

the only way they can compete with japanese superbikes is if they are a factory sponsored race team that can do serious work to make the bike lighter and faster

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
AvidSV650Rider said:
I don't understand your comment.  RSV/RSV-R is in the same class as the Ducati 999S/999R.  Both of these models compete with the Japanese superbikes.
but the aprillia has the same power that the duc 999 has, a little more i think, the aprilia doesn't race officially anymore

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
People miss the point with these bikes.

Ducati and Aprilia aren't playing in the same sandbox as the Japanese. The RSV and the 999 are Italian. Just by saying that - they're different. It's a completely 'other' mentality. Then add the cost, the exclusivity, the concept of 'rolling artwork' and you end up with something quite a bit different than your run-of-the-mill R1, CBR, Gixxer, ZX.

Most folks don't choose a 999 or RSV over a GSXR or whatever due to power. Just on price alone they aren't in the same league.

Roll up on a GSXR or whatever.....and it's 'I'm a squid too!!'. Roll up on one of Italy's finest and it's 'I'm an enthusiast'. Both are stereotypes for sure - but not inaccurate ones.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Ruefus said:
Roll up on a GSXR or whatever.....and it's 'I'm a squid too!!'.  Roll up on one of Italy's finest and it's 'I'm an enthusiast'.  Both are stereotypes for sure - but not inaccurate ones.
+1... couldn't agree more!

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
whats up with the extremely long subframes on all these newer bikes?

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I didn't say they can't compete. With the power delivery of a twin and a naturally mass centralized design, they are very potent machines. I just don't understand why they have to be so heavy.

Pertaining to the RSV, I just can't bring myself to like the asthetics. I've grown to like the 749 and 999 now, it took a while, but I am fond of their asthetics finally. But this RSV just has way too many angles and the frame is hideous in my opinion:

They are so close to a beautiful design, but there are few too many lines in the flow of the body work.

·
King of D'bags
3,579 Posts
It's...ok. A mild improvment over the previous model. I personally still prefer the original Mille. Much the same way many people still think the 916 (and it's variants) were better than the 999. I just wish Ducati would come up with a way to make the maintenance as easy as Aprilia does. ::)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts