Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That day I wrecked my bike... I was moving that day into my new apartment which happened to be right down the street from my last place. So I decided to move the bike closer to my place and took a little spin around the apartment complex. Well as I was taking a left turn into the parking lot I felt the bike break loose from under me.... I'm sure you can imagine what happened next. I slide along the road until I hit the curb. Amazingly enough I didn't get any injuries!

So the next day the dealership picked up the bike and I waited to here from them on how much damage was done and the cost to fix everything. A few days later and the answer is!!! $3093.58!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I didn't know dropping the bike at 17mph could cost sooooooo much!!!!

Here are some pictures of the carnage....

And that is what $3100.00 of damage looks like

I also somehow managed to bend the swing arm and front forks!!!!????

·
Registered
589 Posts
Typically these estimates are the cost to replace everything with new. Makes it easy for the insurance companies to total the bikes and move on. Anyway if you can live with a few scratches and have a hook up with a pint shop you can get it fixed for much less. I would be interested in hearing how they determined the swing arm and forks where bent.

You can always get a second estimate somewhere else.

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
yeah, don't look that bad really. you could do the work yourself and get away alot cheaper. if i were u, first on my list of new parts would be frame sliders... just sayin

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
WHOA !!! sorry for ya man

·
Registered
252 Posts
>>>>>Do that your self or hook-up with someone to give you a hand....I'll bet someone nearby will do it for at least half that and make money. If you were near me I'd say pull it in the barn and go for it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
gsxr front end = @$500-700 from what i've seen. find one of those and put it on. order some race plastics and take your time laying out and cutting the headlights, bolt holes, etc. get maaco to paint it after you cut that crap out. find the rest of the parts you need from one of those salvaged bike dealers. i bet you could do it for less then $2k and you'd have a gsxr front end on it.

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
man, you can so make that bike naked now and sell the fairings to recoup some money.... it's all good man. get some new rearsets, some nice woodcrafts or SVRP rearsets, new motosliders, some pazzo's and a new headlight and you're pretty much have yourself a nice naked.

good luck!

·
Registered
257 Posts
I've been in the same situation man, and what i recommend is leaving the plastics the way they are right now, maybe take off the lowers because it looks nasty. replace the forks (if there is a kink, if not just get them bent back), swingarm, rearset from ebay and ride it like that for the season. Then winter you can do all the cosmetics etc.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
... Well I already made the claim... unfortunately my insurance is going to go up. But I figured I get the dealership to fix the mechanical side of the bike and I will do some cosmetic stuff myself. Maybe leave the lower fairings off and put a belly on it? Also put some Vortex rear sets on too.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Dude...I hope you didn't file an insurance claim for a friggin 17mph drop. Get what needs to be painted painted and ebay the rest. likely 500 total

1 - 12 of 12 Posts