Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’ve moved my hand controls around to match a new body position and now the hose connecting the reservoir and master cylinder is a little bit short.

So I wonder, what kind of hose is appropriate for connecting the reservoir and master cylinder? I don’t think it needs to be high pressure hose, but it shouldn’t break down when exposed to DOT4 fluid either. I'm also not positive what size hose should be used...and I guess new hose clamps would be needed?

:::ANSWER:::

Stock tubing is 8mm = 5/16" + 0.003" (inside diameter) and it needs to be chemically resistant to brake fluid.

So, the best options are:

Targon 2075 (5/16 ID) $2.20/foot, part number: 5103K18, http://www.mcmaster.com/#5103k18/=1cbky9
Targon 2275 (5/16 ID) $2.32/foot, part number: 5466K15, http://www.mcmaster.com/#5466k15/=1cbnaf

Hose clamps are still under investigation.

·
Registered
856 Posts
i got some black rubber vacuum line from one of those autoparts chains (straus?) they're all similar,was temped to use clear stuff but i heard it does break down on constant exposure to brake fluid.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
http://www.mcmaster.com/#5466k13/=16b3pw

Similar to above but a FRACTION of the cost.

I'll be using this on my Tuono & SV. I was pointed to this stuff by Degsy (aka Derek, one of the old TTD instructors, now owner of BostonMoto)

I can't remember whether you need 5466K13 or 5466k14 but if you order a foot of each, you'll spend less than $8 or so delivered by tomorrow morning.

I'll see if the stuff I have downstairs has a part number on it & get back to you.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
http://www.mcmaster.com/#5466k13/=16b3pw

Similar to above but a FRACTION of the cost.

I'll be using this on my Tuono & SV. I was pointed to this stuff by Degsy (aka Derek, one of the old TTD instructors, now owner of BostonMoto)

I can't remember whether you need 5466K13 or 5466k14 but if you order a foot of each, you'll spend less than $8 or so delivered by tomorrow morning.

I'll see if the stuff I have downstairs has a part number on it & get back to you.
yeah, that one you linked is 2275....the one you want is 2075. I used to make and sell rear res delete kits. Tygon 2075 is the hose that will not sweat, etc.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Coo, thanks Doug :)
No prob.....took me three tries to get the right hose myself. Figure since I do not sell them anymore, no sense in not sharing the information. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice info! The hose that I've got now "sweats" and I could never figure out how or why that happens. Any idea?

Final question, what do you prefer to use for hose clamps?

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Super aswesome fellas. Thank you very much. :)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
BOOOO!

I got my new hose and clamps...cut the old stuff off and found that the reservoir and master cylinder are 3/8 OD!

This 3/16 ID hose anint gonna work folks.

Will 5/16 ID strech over the 3/8 master cylinder and reservoir or do I need to get 3/8 ID tubing?

Thanks again...(as long as we get it right this time) :)

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
1/4" works for the front...the rear Tygon needed hose is 1/2" OD, 3/8" ID...which is exactly what I used to sell with my kits. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
i've always dealt with it in mm. the stock suzuki stuff takes 8mm. brembo stuff takes 6mm. order it that way, and you'll never have a problem.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i've always dealt with it in mm. the stock suzuki stuff takes 8mm. brembo stuff takes 6mm. order it that way, and you'll never have a problem.
Thanks....8mm ID or OD?

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
yeah, that one you linked is 2275....the one you want is 2075. I used to make and sell rear res delete kits. Tygon 2075 is the hose that will not sweat, etc.
Are you sure the 2275 stuff will sweat? I searched but couldn't find anything.

I'm currently conducting an experiment with 2075, 2275, and some pvc tubing. It's been about a month sitting in front of a window and the pvc is sweating like crazy but neither Tygon yet.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts