Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to swap my fork oil out on my '01 naked, as the 5wt that came in it does little for rebound damping (but then, I don't have to tell you that). The rest of my suspension is stock, and will probably stay that way for a while.

I'm 165 pounds without gear, and all of my riding is on the street, although a track day is hopefully in the offing for late this season or early next season. I'm not a squidly rider, nor am I too fast through the twisties, but as I get more comfortable with the bike, I am getting a little faster. With that in mind, what weight fork oil do you guys think would be most appropriate? I worry that if I go up too far, my suspension will be "overdampened" (if that's a word) for someone of my weight/riding style.

M

·
0 Posts
10wt or 15 wt will make a nice change. I'd recommend the 15wt if you live some place that is pretty warm year-round, it will probably give more consistant dampening when it gets hot. I've been running Motul 15-20 fork oil and am a bit heavier than you and have noticed the ride is a bit harsh in winter (around 40f.) but fine during the summer. I'll likely go with spectro 15wt when I change the fork oil pretty soon.

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
e lo said:
I'd like to swap my fork oil out on my '01 naked, as the 5wt that came in it does little for rebound damping (but then, I don't have to tell you that). The rest of my suspension is stock, and will probably stay that way for a while.

I'm 165 pounds without gear, and all of my riding is on the street, although a track day is hopefully in the offing for late this season or early next season. I'm not a squidly rider, nor am I too fast through the twisties, but as I get more comfortable with the bike, I am getting a little faster. With that in mind, what weight fork oil do you guys think would be most appropriate? I worry that if I go up too far, my suspension will be "overdampened" (if that's a word) for someone of my weight/riding style.
You're right, too thick an oil will be a bad thing, as the flaccid stock springs won't be able to extend the fork at the right rate. Use 15w oil, set at 105mm. If you're going to do a track day better fork springs will really help.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, all. I appreciate the info. 15 wt it will be. I may wait until I've had my first track day to do any more work, so that I will be able to tell the difference before/after. Plus, I'm a fan of changing one thing at a time, whenever possible.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts