Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticing my chain tension go from tight/no play to too slack when adjusting it last, I investigated further to find that my front sprocket appears to be off center and acting like a cam lobe as it rotates.

Has anyone else experienced this? Obviously time to replace but I am concerned about the cause! I am not dropping the clutch aggressively ever or stunting.

·
Super Moderator
8,605 Posts
What you have is a worn out chain. All chains develop loose and tight spots as they wear. The more worn the chain, the greater the difference between tight/loose.

You are supposed to change the chain and sprockets as a set, but I usually just replace only the chain the first time it wears out, and then go for the whole chain and sprocket set the second time.

A new chain on older sprockets won't last as long, but overall I think you come out ahead this way.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
^+1. i've never heard of a sprocket being out of center, but chains wear out all the time. i remember the first time i had some frozen links, it took me awhile to figure out the chain was the problem, just didn't know to look there first.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply folks. I'm going to replace it all; stock sized new counter sprocket, pick up two teeth in the rear, and convert to 520.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts