Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They rode up Palomar Mountain...my stomping grounds. I was in Los Angeles for the day so I recorded it on my DVR and I'm watching it tonight.

4000+' of climbing over about 11.5 miles from the base of Palomar to the summit. A beyond category climb.

That route is typically a motorcycle haven on the weekends.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Wish I could've watched. Bare bones cable here because I really don't watch TV. I wouldn't mind having biking coverage though

·
Registered
667 Posts
Didn't see that day, but watched as they went by my work when they came through Clovis. We stood outside for 45min BSing just to see them flash by in less than 10 seconds. They were all (except for 1 straggler who tried to hide with the trailing vehicles) in a big pack, gearing up for the stage finish.

·
Registered
683 Posts
wait. this is a thread about bicycling?

oh.

my gaydar. it's breaking.

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
I didn't see any of the races, just followed on velonews or cyclingnews. They did recover Lance's bike so kinda cool. But like Joe says 4000 ft, pbfffftt, lame. They need to come up here and do the "ride around Mt Rainier" route.

Totally kidding. Although I used to race against Tom Peterson who won stage 3 I think. Also Tyler Farrar, that kid kicked the bejeezus out of me at a TT when he was 15 and I was like 25 or 26. Those guys are fast.

·
Banned Member
4,562 Posts
I didn't see any of the races, just followed on velonews or cyclingnews. They did recover Lance's bike so kinda cool. But like Joe says 4000 ft, pbfffftt, lame. They need to come up here and do the "ride around Mt Rainier" route.
I used to do 6300 every other Saturday. The Saturdays I didn't do that ride, I did a 4000 ft ride. Now my legs are burning on my 35-mile, 1500 ft ride.

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
I used to do 6300 every other Saturday. The Saturdays I didn't do that ride, I did a 4000 ft ride. Now my legs are burning on my 35-mile, 1500 ft ride.
amen, I did get a nice 2.5 hour ride in on Sunday. Starting to feel better on the bike again. Gotta keep working, Nationals are in Bend, Oregon this year and next. Gotta go!

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
4000 ft, pbfffftt.

I missed it.
Well, that was just one climb out of 90 miles ridden on the last day of the tour.

If you get a chance to check it out or have seen it, that's where I ride my SV sometimes on the weekends. Guys spend entire days just blasting up and down that mountain on their sport bikes.

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
I shall google maps it and make a tour of it.........

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
Up the tight side, down the wide side, rinse, repeat. Last time I was up there was on my 1985 500 Interloper.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here's a good link.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.socalvelo.com/images/palomar/Google_Palomar_Mountain_Road.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.socalvelo.com/sub/palomar.html&usg=__4McCl4lvCDIkCfdzLd8xza6fm7E=&h=714&w=1077&sz=143&hl=en&start=37&tbnid=uOujQbbF4EBMLM:&tbnh=99&tbnw=150&prev=/images?q=palomar+mountain&start=20&gbv=2&ndsp=20&hl=en&safe=off&sa=N

The climb to the top of Palomar Mountain Road is 12.5 miles if you start in Pauma Valley on State Route 76. The ascent starts on SR 76 just west of Valley Center Road. The climb is made up of two distinct sections. The first section on SR 76 is 5.8 miles and the second section on Palomar Mountain Road is 6.8 miles. Palomar Mountain Road is also known as South Grade Road. There is a flat section of approximately 1/2 mile between the sections.

The climb on Palomar Mountain Road is often compared to Alpe d'Huez. Both have 21or so switchbacks and the mountains are similar in elevation. Palomar has more pine trees at the top, but there are no Alpine glaciers nearby. Alpe d'Huez is a bit longer and much steeper. However for Southern California standards, this is one of the best climbs around. Many locals think this is the hardest climb in Socal, I give that distinction to the Mt. Baldy ski area .

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
sweet I gotta ride that sometime.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
sweet I gotta ride that sometime.
It's great fun on a motorcycle...and it's only an hour from my house...and getting there is fun too. ;D

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yes I did. Had freinds there as well. I worked as a course marshal at the Solvang time trail on Friday. That area (Santa Ynez valley) has great motorcycle and bike riding. I have ridden there many times, one day I will ride Palomar mtn. If riding in the Ojai area check out the Deer lodge for food.

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
It's great fun on a motorcycle...and it's only an hour from my house...and getting there is fun too. ;D
Great so I've got a place to stay...see you this summer.

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
Who's in? We'll all camp at SDRiders house and he'll show us all the great roads.

I'm in.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Who's in? We'll all camp at SDRiders house and he'll show us all the great roads.

I'm in.
My wife may have something to say about that. ;D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts