Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard some negative things aboiut these but I've never actually come across anyone who's used them... Obviously that's going to need higher octane fuel, and I believe the pistons are heavier than stock as well which has its downsides, but does anyone have any practical experence of what the other implications are going to be (apart from a butt-load more power and a lighter wallet)

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
yer momma 8)

free bump :)

T

·
0 Posts
like you said,they are boat ankers and you need fuel.
make sure you check clearances.
what bore?

·
Registered
606 Posts
I just blew up a racing motor with them installed but it wasn't a piston issue.

They are well made, strong as hell. They are heavier than stock, but at +3 mm bore I guess that isn't that big of an issue.

You must run high octane fuel. :!: :!: :!: That motor detonated hard enough with 100 octane to hammer the rod bearings out. We now run Sunoco 112, CAM2 Purple or VP C14/ C16 in the high compression motors. It is required. Yes it makes for a lot of power. Compression generally does produce more power.

If one is going to run an SV motor that hard, Carillo H beam rods, an upgraded grank, and precise bearing sizing/selection is required. I'd recommend ceramic coating the cylinder head chambers and moly coating of the pistons below the ring lans. Ceramic bearings and a nitride coated crank would also be a good idea. Of course the normal race motor stuff - FCR's, Big exhaust, flow ported heads, big valves, valve springs, race valve hardware, hot cams, quality cam chains and billet tensioners, billet adjustable cam sprockets, ignition, clutch, transmission upgrade, etc.

Stock parts "might" live one hour? Maybe less.

Those pistons are really race only parts.

A good set of 'Busa pistons with 2/3 of stock head gaskets is a great way to gain a little power and not over stress a stock lowerend. One can usually buy all the parts needed for than upgrade from a dealer for less than $300US

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
These aren't the overbore ones, they also do 13:1 and 13.5:1 options for the standard bore on the SV... I've only seen them for sale from JHS Racing and IIRC he says they should be usable with a stock setup- 13.5:1 without advacner, 13:1 with. I don't know enough about them to make any informed decision but I thought it might be an interesting alternative...

http://www.jhsracing.co.uk/start.htm

I'm looking at the Busa option as well but it strikes me that if these do perform as well as they're said to, for not massively more expense and little more work, it could work out a better option.

T

·
0 Posts
Northwind said:
These aren't the overbore ones, they also do 13:1 and 13.5:1 options for the standard bore on the SV...
so you buying stock size pistons just to get more compression.
you can get as much compression you want with stock or busa pistons and have much better motor.
only time I use those pistons is for overbore,even than I modify pistons.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, thanks. Good to know. The only figures I've seen bruited about for the Busa pistons without more work than I can personally take on were around the 12:1 one mark. I'm pretty much set on Busa pistons if I do ever do a swap, but I like to cover all the options before I commit, and the power figures and reliability claims from JHS were pretty impressive.

Out of curiosity, why is it that Suzuki can make a lightweight forged piston for the Busa but JE and Wiseco can't make a light piston for the SV? Since I'm learning today I thought I might as well ask :) Obviously there's different engineering constraints for a larger diameter piston, but does that account for the whole difference?

T

·
0 Posts
Northwind said:
Out of curiosity, why is it that Suzuki can make a lightweight forged piston for the Busa but JE and Wiseco can't make a light piston for the SV?
they are still in stone age and think you have V8 under hood :)

J

·
0 Posts
Norhtwind my busa pistons will be done at the end of next week. If you would like i can tell you how they feel. Also i will add dyno numbers as soon as i can get it in to the shop.

·
Registered
80 Posts
So what is the deal with the busa pistons? Is it just raised compression? or lighter weight? or both? How much more power are we talking? Is it good for every year SV or just the '99 to '02 or the '03+? What other work is required to make this work? I'm asking all this as I want to get all my ducks in a row to turn my '05 SV650 into a mean SV650S that will open some eyes at the track next year. I am enjoying the bike for now but want to really liven it up next year when I turn it into my track bike.

T

·
0 Posts
by just putting busa pistons in you will not feel difference in power.
they are little more compression and lighter.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I realize the pistons alone would not make much difference but lets say you add in a K&N filter or something along that line, a good exhaust system, maybe some port an polish to the heads, and a PCIII with a custom map for all the other work put together. Then are we talking a bit more git-up-n-go?

T

·
0 Posts
exhaust,map will give you more than port,polish and pistons together.
if you want to do all of those you should also do good valve job,bump compression and play with ignition.ad U4 fuel and you will be over 80hp.

·
Registered
687 Posts
twf how do you advance the time on the new bikes??

1 - 20 of 30 Posts