Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to pick up a set of knee guards, but ones with 3 straps are far and few between (not many)...However i have noticed many elbow guards with 3 straps.

I took the elbow guard out of my jacket to see if it would fit the knee area and it was a really good fit. The manufacturer website for my jackets rubber elbow armor also list it as a knee guard.

So...since the manufacturer classifies the rubber guards in my jacket as being for both knees and elbows...I'd like to ask if anyone has ever used an elbow guard as a knee guard....and how did it fit you?

The knee guards that i have been looking into are about the same thickness as some elbow guards ive been considering.

thanx

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
What sort of guards are these and are you planning on wearing them below normal pants?

I'd recommend getting gear with integrated armor. If fitted correctly, the chances of the armor shifting are during a slide are much lower.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, they will be worn underneath pants. The actual rubber guards are made by powertector and are included in my Shift jacket.

The elbow guards im considering to use as knee guards are also Shift, but the actual rubber armor is not made by powertector.

I was considering Dainese knee guards (too long for me), but after looking at their website, the snow knee guards appear to be elbow guards, just remarketed.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Why do you not like the two strap kind? The free floating knee design is usually better for comfort, leg circulation, and even crash protection. I wrecked in Alpinestars Reflex with a pair of Icon ARC overpants on top. Had the Reflex's not been there I probably would have had knee problems with the ARC armor wasn't very substantive.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r4/alpinestars-reflex-knee-guards/

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why do you not like the two strap kind? The free floating knee design is usually better for comfort, leg circulation, and even crash protection. I wrecked in Alpinestars Reflex with a pair of Icon ARC overpants on top. Had the Reflex's not been there I probably would have had knee problems with the ARC armor wasn't very substantive.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r4/alpinestars-reflex-knee-guards/
How can a 2 strap design be better for crash protection?

·
Registered
801 Posts
hummm never thought about it. My forearms are not nearly the same size as my calf's. It would not work for me. That would probably be the main point. Huge calf's, thinner forearms one would not work for both.

PS I used a set of those Alpinestars Reflex Knee Guards for a riding season and can't recommend them. The Velcro wears out very quickly and they start to sag and move around very easy after a while. The titan ones are much better. Adjust Velcro once and they hook up.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
How can a 2 strap design be better for crash protection?
It depends on the crash and the design of the kneepad, but its similar to a car's crumple zone in certain situations.

hummm never thought about it. My forearms are not nearly the same size as my calf's. It would not work for me. That would probably be the main point. Huge calf's, thinner forearms one would not work for both.

PS I used a set of those Alpinestars Reflex Knee Guards for a riding season and can't recommend them. The Velcro wears out very quickly and they start to sag and move around very easy after a while. The titan ones are much better. Adjust Velcro once and they hook up.
Odd, I haven't had a problem with my Velcro, and I've put probably 6000 miles on them (and one crash).

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Was it the actual guard or the straps that were too small?

The elbow pads i tried as knee pads fit perfect, but these were just the ones out of my jacket and no way to fasten them when i tried it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts