Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

in the process of repainting my fathers 1979 Suzuki GS1000E.
Long story, he's sentimentally attached to her, as he is the first and only owner of this bike(bought it new in 1979).

I have decided to shoot the tank and trim with eastwoods rat rod flat black. You have an option of laying a clear coat over it, satin would be the best choice to retain the flat look as best as possible. However, per Eastwoods description, the rat rod flat black is stated to have durability, UV and Chemical protection.
I'm still skeptical as I know a clear will help provide the best protection. I'm very much into the flat black look for this old mule. I think it will do it much justice to retain as flat a color as possible. Has anyone laid down such a type of flat black that claims durability and UV/Chemical protection before?

Link for reference:

http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-rat-rod-flat-black-paint-kit.html

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
I've used a brand called HotRod Flatz (from tcpglobal.com) when I had my SV painted in flat blue-pearl.

I was skeptical about not putting a clearcoat over it but it's a single-stage UV and chemical resistant paint. Been holding up great over the last year (had it done in May 2011) and I've spilled plenty of gas onto the tank when the nozzle comes out and I'm not quick enough to stop the extra drops from falling off the nozzle. Not cracking, peeling, flaking, bubbling or anything of the sort.

for reference, the color I got was Daytona Blue Pearl
http://www.tcpglobal.com/kustomshop/ksflatz.aspx

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dan, that helps out tremendously!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I did my old zx6 in flat. I used a matte clear over and it looked almost the same as with no clear. It was rattle can FWIW.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Spitfire,

I debated rattle can. He had to get a gas tank custom made because we could not find an OE or aftermarket replacement due to the age and model of the bike. I have been working the hell out of it with body filler and self etch primer. I have some before pics, will take some afters once I have all the welds worked correctly and a nice epoxy primer on it. I've put too much sweat and time into this tank now to rattle can it. Not knocking rattle can paint jobs, but I'm better with my HVLP guns :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts