Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is an interest post in the forum of a guy who had an accident and described his subsequent nightmare experience dealing with a lying at fault party, insurance companies, attorneys, trial, etc. If you have ever been in an accident, there is a good chance you probably either had the "at fault" party create a story to point you at fault or you did that to someone else. I was in a situation where a driver hit my car (not bike) because they ran a light that wasn't working due to a bad rain storm. However, they simply reversed what happened and said that I was the one who failed to stop at the intersection and therefore ran the light. Pretty convenient. The physical evidence however supports my story and not theirs and this situation "should" work out fine in my favor. However, with motorcycles and so much at stake in the case of an accident, I am starting to weigh the benefit of using my GoPro during every ride to document what happens in the event of an accident.

Anyone actually do this for the sole purpose of documenting their rides in the event of an accident?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Street8 I had the exact same thought. Better insurance than your insurance. Not sure if it is worth the hassle though.

I guess be aware that if law enforcement comes into the scene you need to tell them that you are recording - something about outdated "wire tapping" laws? Saw something about that with the cyclist that got a gun pulled on him by a plain clothes cop?

·
Registered
5,871 Posts
I rock the gopro in case of accidents..... Then I get to laugh at myself. :D

·
Registered
149 Posts
Street8 I had the exact same thought. Better insurance than your insurance. Not sure if it is worth the hassle though.

I guess be aware that if law enforcement comes into the scene you need to tell them that you are recording - something about outdated "wire tapping" laws? Saw something about that with the cyclist that got a gun pulled on him by a plain clothes cop?
Well, I do believe that you're allowed to record a officer in uniform, on or off public land anytime you want. you do not have to tell them anything, some states tho, do not allow anything "obstructing" your helmet or sticking off of it. so keep the cameras off the helmets. Chest works, and gives a better view of things. and actually I know for a fact, wire tapping laws are only for Audio. Because "filming" is just a bunch of pictures to make a moving image, it has nothing to do with wire tapping laws, you can record something with video in private, as long as it doesn't have audio. otherwise you have the let the person know their being recorded.

Correct me if I'm wrong on my first sentence. I heard it on some youtube mombo jumbo and never really looked into it, to cite if it was true or not.

·
Registered
5,871 Posts
Very state dependent.

Most states require one party to know of the video (you) for it to not be wire tapping, as long as you are in a place you have the right to be in. Chances are slim the LEO would hassle you over the GoPro as long as you aren't being a dick. I know, sometimes that is not the case, but if it isn't... atleast you have it on video. :thumbsup:

To get a real answer, call a lawer and ask. District attorny perferably.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Very state dependent.

Most states require one party to know of the video (you) for it to not be wire tapping, as long as you are in a place you have the right to be in. Chances are slim the LEO would hassle you over the GoPro as long as you aren't being a dick. I know, sometimes that is not the case, but if it isn't... atleast you have it on video. :thumbsup:

To get a real answer, call a lawer and ask. District attorny perferably.
Yeah don't take advice from me.. I live in Florida, where you get tazed for a speeding ticket, and get away with murder.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
I could see it opening a can of worms. If you use a recording of an accident, can't they also look at other parts of the recording to determine speed, riding habits/style, etc. and use it against you somehow as well?

(does it show I hate lawyers and how they twist things)

·
Registered
5,871 Posts
...... not if you edit it first. :evil6:

·
Registered
7,584 Posts
I could see it opening a can of worms. If you use a recording of an accident, can't they also look at other parts of the recording to determine speed, riding habits/style, etc. and use it against you somehow as well?

I think that's why a lot of people use "top of helmet" mounting--you can't see the gauges. I prefer the view from the chesty (I'm trying to work out a chin mount that I like) but it puts the gauges dead center in the screen.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts

If someone violates your right of way then speed doesnt come into play as far as who is determined to be the guilty party at least in Maryland. Then again, if you are riding like a complete idiot and get into an accident, I only have so much sympathy for you.

·
Registered
58 Posts
If i have mine in my bag, I'll throw it on the helmet during my commute for potential accident evidence. But i don't specifically bring it with me to record if im just commuting. Its kind of a "if its there, why not".

·
Registered
5,871 Posts
Could work as a deterrent to lie too. Even if it wasn't tell them it was. Much more likely to admit fault and never have to hastle with courts.

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
I thought of doing that, but I hate the camera on my head, and my windscreen is too dark, so I can't mount it on the tank. I have the stock windscreen but I use it for track days so I can see better when tucked in, but the one I have for street riding is taller.

Maybe I should switch to a clear one and start using the camera a bit more often...

·
Registered
835 Posts
I have a camera mount on the front and rear of my bike. As long as I remember to charge them and they are working, I have them on the bike. And for those who don't have the extra cash laying around to buy 2 GoPro's, you can do like I did and buy a cheap keychain cam on Ebay for $10 each. No, not the best video or audio quality, but good enough to see details. The one thing a stationary front or rear facing camera wont catch though is the car next to you moving into your lane and into you. It will catch the car rear ending you and the car swerving in front of you and then braking hard.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I have thought about it, but do I have to give it to an officer at the time of the accident or can I give it to my lawyer/insurance company later?

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
dmnyc does it daily and I am going to start doing it. If a crash happens, and the other party claims its my fault, I will have it on video and I wont even show the cop. Ill send it to my insurance company and file a claim with them, then have them file a claim with the other persons insurance company so it would be out of my hands. The only bad part is, you have to pay the deductible.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts