Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm taking the plunge into racing this year, going to race WERA, LWTSS and SB, I think. anyone on here raced or racing this year?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I def hope to run the full season. Right at the moment im absorbing the rule book and have all kinds of questions. But mostly i need to get my bike ready and get leathers, etc.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Well if you have any questions feel free to post here or PM me.

Basically you need to:

Replace coolant with distilled water and water wetter;
Safety wire oil drain, oil fill, oil filter, front and rear brake caliper bolts and brake pad retaining pins, oil galley plugs, front cylinder coolant drain, water pump coolant drain, exhaust mounting bolts (not exhaust header bolts);
Slap on some yellow number plates and WERA legal numbers (you can look up drippinwet decals online, that is who I buy my vinyl numbers from);
Either run full fairings or rig up a belly pan;

Everything besides that is optional. You mention you will be running SB but not SS, do you have a GSXR front end or something? You can legally run a 5" wide OEM wheel (GSXR, F2, etc.) but not an aftermarket wheel in SS. Slicks are also legal in SS now as well as a double bubble windscreen. If you can run SS I would, I find running three classes is a good number and you get your money's worth for all the gas and other travel $$ to get to the track and back.

Your first day there everyone is super helpful, especially the guys in tech. They will check out your bike in the morning when you take your race school (if you haven't taken it somewhere else that is) and they are very understanding that it's your first time on track and will do their best to help you out. The only reason I didn't start racing sooner was I was anxious about missing something on my bike and causing a problem but I shouldn't have worried.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nope. I was going to do some track days first, but i talked to a couple WERA sv guys here who both said they skipped the trackdays, and just did the WERA school and went into novice. They suggested that money spent on trackdays was money wasted if i wanted to race anyway.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Colin, did you talk to a guy named Jim Fowler about racing? He is a good buddy of mine and sent me an e-mail earlier today saying he met someone who wants to get into racing. If that's you we definitely need to meet up for a beer or something, we can probably hook you up with some gear and stuff to get you out on the track.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Money spent on track days is never wasted. You don't step into the ring with Ali because you think you can box, if you get my meaning. There are certainty people who go strait to racing and it works out fine, and some who are overwhelmed with the pressure of racing as well as learning to ride on the track. After 2 years of trackdays I'm planning on breaking into racing this year and nervous about it. Mostly what I'm getting at is there isn't much harm, if any, in getting onto the race track for a trackday or a few before going all in with racing. Good luck either way!

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can see the wisdom in that, as well. I'd be lying if I said I wasnt a bit nervous, but I think Id be nervous even with 10 trackdays under my belt. Potentially dangerous competition 'll do that to ya. ;)

·
Registered
604 Posts
I think if you did just one track day before going to race would be helpful, more than that would help also. Many guys do jump right in to racing, but doing at least one day will take some of the pressure off. Trackdays will teach you a lot. Some stuff you just don't learn on the street, like braking markers, lines, corner speeds, even the performance of your bike. Dave had a lot of good points. Are you taking the WERA riders school? Good luck.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I dont disagree at all. I just have limited resources and was trying to streamline a bit. I also have an issue with trying to go as far as possible with things in a short amount of time, and often forget that its ok to take steps over time. At the moment, i still need to get my bike back up here from riding it south or sell it down there and buy a new one, so im not jumping on the track tomorrow anyway.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I will be working on my bike next weekend, we keep our bikes and all our gear at a garage on Butler and 4th Ave in Brooklyn. If you want to swing by I'm more than happy to show you around and shoot the breeze.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I actually just looked at that space last night for my bike. Small world. See you around there

·
Registered
32 Posts
I don't see any downside to doing a track day first. If you get stuffed in the corner early in your first race (perfectly legitimate tactic- like you said,it's competition) and you've never been on the track before, you could be in trouble.

If your riding merits it, you'll be bumped from beginner to intermediate before lunch. If you're riding at the front of the expert group by the end if the day, then go ahead and start racing.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
604 Posts
If your riding merits it, you'll be bumped from beginner to intermediate before lunch. If you're riding at the front of the expert group by the end if the day, then go ahead and start racing.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
You don't have to be running at the front of expert class to start racing. How many people have started in "B" and ran front in "A" in one day at their first track day ever? Very few. I think an average "I" rider would be okay racing.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Don't be a fool. Please do AT LEAST one track day before racing. I'm going to start racing this year and I REALLY DON'T want you on the track with me if it's your first time. You will learn plenty on your first track day. I promise that it will be worthwhile.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts