Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I picked up the SMX 5's due to the design(less perforated than my Bilt boots). My toes still got cold on the ride in today(approx 45-50 degrees this morning).
Anything under 45 degrees I most likely will not ride my bike. I would like to be able to ride comfortably at 45-50 degrees that is the average cold in Austin, TX. Lower than that is about 30's and and that is usually for just a week, two at the most. I'm uncertain if I should give these boots a few more days with thicker socks or get some solid leather boots instead.
I've been using SMX-5s for a few years. Unfortunately due to Canadianess, I regular in 0-30 degrees F during winter riding. Usually I wear more torso and lower body layers to keep my toes alive for highway runs. I've tried a number of different socks, including some fancy ones I used to use for skiing.... currently I'm happy with cheap Dickies socks (the ones with the wide ribbed bottoms). Also, hydration is key to combat the cold.. especially when the temps are low enough for frostbite.

And, like the others have already mentioned, the SMX5s definitely soften up. Mine feel like slippers.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts