Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a pair last night, they are pretty stiff. Insanely stiff. Was awkward moving foot position around the shift lever. Is this part of the normal break in? My other boots are Bilt Trackstars and they were no where near this stiff when I got them new.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Yes, they'll need to break in. Wear them around the house and stuff to help speed the process. I've had the smx plus for three years now. They took a little bit to break in and are now quite comfy.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
As they break in they will get a bit easier to use, but they will still be stiffer than your other boots. That's not necessarily a bad thing.

BTW - If you find it difficult to get your toe under the shifter, you can adjust the lever upwards.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As they break in they will get a bit easier to use, but they will still be stiffer than your other boots. That's not necessarily a bad thing.

BTW - If you find it difficult to get your toe under the shifter, you can adjust the lever upwards.
Thanks, I have rearsets and have been meaning to adjust the rear brake pedal.

The issue I see now is, the rear brake feels better with the Alpinestars vs the Bilt boots. The shifter feels better with the Bilt than with the Alpinestars. Hopefully I can find a happy medium.

I picked up the SMX 5's due to the design(less perforated than my Bilt boots). My toes still got cold on the ride in today(approx 45-50 degrees this morning).
Anything under 45 degrees I most likely will not ride my bike. I would like to be able to ride comfortably at 45-50 degrees that is the average cold in Austin, TX. Lower than that is about 30's and and that is usually for just a week, two at the most. I'm uncertain if I should give these boots a few more days with thicker socks or get some solid leather boots instead.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I picked up the SMX 5's due to the design(less perforated than my Bilt boots). My toes still got cold on the ride in today(approx 45-50 degrees this morning).
Anything under 45 degrees I most likely will not ride my bike. I would like to be able to ride comfortably at 45-50 degrees that is the average cold in Austin, TX. Lower than that is about 30's and and that is usually for just a week, two at the most. I'm uncertain if I should give these boots a few more days with thicker socks or get some solid leather boots instead.
I've been using SMX-5s for a few years. Unfortunately due to Canadianess, I regular in 0-30 degrees F during winter riding. Usually I wear more torso and lower body layers to keep my toes alive for highway runs. I've tried a number of different socks, including some fancy ones I used to use for skiing.... currently I'm happy with cheap Dickies socks (the ones with the wide ribbed bottoms). Also, hydration is key to combat the cold.. especially when the temps are low enough for frostbite.

And, like the others have already mentioned, the SMX5s definitely soften up. Mine feel like slippers.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks amigo, these feel so stiff over my Bilts it's unreal. I didn't use them yesterday on the spirited run. But I'll give them some more time for break in.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I picked up a pair last night, they are pretty stiff. Insanely stiff. Was awkward moving foot position around the shift lever. Is this part of the normal break in? My other boots are Bilt Trackstars and they were no where near this stiff when I got them new.
I replaced my SMX-5s with Sidi Adventure Goretex boots... Talk about stiff! The SMX-5s are like bath slippers compared to the Sidis. When I first got the SMX-5s they were a bit stiff, but you get used to them very quickly. Though, I would never describe them as being unreal. The Bilts must have been extremely soft in comparison, I guess.

Though not necessarily recommended, they're a boot that I could (and have) wear all day fairly comfortably, after you break them in of course.

·
Registered
100 Posts
It took me a while to break in my SMX-5s. But once broken in, they are awesome boots for about any use. I use mine almost everyday, and so far I have over 19,000 miles and just about 1 years of use in this one pair. The heel is just about to wear all the way through, but for that kind of use and abuse, I love them.

·
Registered
391 Posts
My SMX + boots were really stiff but now i could run in them if i wanted to. Just wear them a lot and they will get a little softer. I also had the bilt boots and those things feel like regular shoes they are so easy to move in, but they dont have the ankle protection that is needed IMO.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts