Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a new TV soon. I'd like to go 3D, and I do play PS3 from time to time. My concern is burning in an image on a plasma. From my research you have to leave a steady image on the screen for quiet some time. IE a movie main menu, a games main menu, a paused movie/game.

I was pretty sold on LED, but with Plasma technology hitting 600hz refresh rates and .0001 second response times along with lower prices. I really am considering the Plasma's over LED.

Anyone have a console attached to a plasma TV and have an experience with it?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't worry about it unless you plan to walk away for hours/days with the set on. My kids have left mine on netflix for hours and hours at a time and nothing major happens. You might see an after image when you first turn the screen off, but nothing more.

Thanks, that is very helpful!

If I may, how old is your plasma and which brand model did you choose?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Like slimesbro said, an LCD will give you better performance in a bright area. Plasmas typically display motion better, but you won't notice it with any console games. The main advantage of plasma is the contrast. Colors look a lot more rich. Unless you are gaming on a PC with good graphics horsepower, just worry about price, brightness, and contrast.

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
I have a Smasung Plasma and an xbox360. So far no issues. This tv is 3yrs old though, and it's known for blowing its little ceramic fuses. Easy fix though, 4 bucks for a pack of 5 from amazon and tv is working again, saved me the quoted 200 from the tv repair guy.. yeah right.. up yours...

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I have a 50" and 42", both Samsung plasmas. Aside from Netflix, they're primarily used for gaming or as obnoxious web browsers. I've gotten drunk and passed out many-a-times without any burn in issues. There may be some image retention for the first 10-20minutes of the next use.. but it always goes away. AFAIK, this is the case for any 'current' gen plasma panel.

·
Registered
5,710 Posts
I bought an LG 60" plasma for xmas and really like it. My son has left it on with his Wii or paused movies and there is no ill effects. I'm very happy with it.

It is in a room with some windows, but the display is plenty bright. The only issue I see is reflection off the face of it, but because they are all flat, you will notice that with any new set. My old one was a Mits 65" rear projection and with the protective cover off the front, the screen was a fine textured, non-reflective surface.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Thought it was all just LCD and LED.

Who knew..
Those are the same thing. "LED" TVs just have LED backlights instead of tubes, which allow them to be thinner and lower power. (Okay, there's technically OLED TVs, but those are still expensive at the moment and probably not worth discussing even disregarding other issues with OLED that would make me question whether they're quite ready for TV use.)

But anyway, yeah, image retention isn't really an issue anymore.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a 55" LG Plasma that i would have sworn by up until about a month or to ago. The color and brightness seemed unmatched, but we have since moved it from our living room to our basement (movie room) its perfect for a very dark room, comparable to a high lumen projector.

We replace our living room TV with a 65" LED Sharp Aquos, which utilizes RGBY (red, green, blue, yellow) LEDS to provide a limitless number of color depths, and truly the best blacks i have seen on a TV.

Both are used heavily for gaming. The plasma does get some ghosting on splash screens and menu over time, but either a quick change in display, or the screen cleaning feature takes care of it right away. My plasma is about 3 years old now, and it hasn't given me any trouble yet.

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
new units are designed so you dont get the burn it on the screen. the image will rotate/move a few pixels so it wont burn

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is all good info, sadly my current viewing location is right by my big arse living room window. I don't have much choice for the layout of my setup as the apartment has a ridiculous configuration with a fireplace. I do use black out curtains in the living room though. For the price, the plasma is still seeming like a good alternative. For a while there the LED 3D's(about 55" sizes) were around $999 on sale. Now it seems like they have cleared out all the older models and gone with new models as the prices are between $1500 and $2K. Not worth it IMO. I got my 42" LCD 5 years ago for $1200. I want a hell of a deal on my next TV.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts