Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of fixing a broken IP database. The form application was designed win Access 97 and refuses to upgrade to 2010. I started to ponder to start a new database via excel and hope to find an application that can ping a static range and return a log with all IP's in use, and all addresses not in use.

Has anyone heard of such an application? Surely something like this has to exist.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
What's your LAN design like? Easiest way to get 'r done quick would be an nmap list scan piped to a CSV.

But you'll probably want to move away from Access / Excel...

I use GestioIP for IP management. If your DNS records are fairly orderly, you can run an automated process to pull pingable host addresses + DNS A-records and quickly assemble a host list.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Looks like you're using windows, so here's the link for zenmap http://nmap.org/zenmap/

And in case hosts are dropping ICMP, it's probably a good idea to reference the DHCP bindings, arp table and mac address table(s).

PM me if you need a hand with zenmap/nmap.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks!

We have a designated network team based out of another region. My region has become so large that I am going to start managing things from my department(just the tracking and assigning of static addresses). Our past process has been beyond antiquated, and of course run by one person whom felt the need to make them self and asset by being the only person assigned to use it. That got that guy far(he's gone). Rather than fixing his mess, I would like to start new with something simple and clean.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Ah, the old 'fixing this old ****ty mess left over by an old employee who thought it would give them job security'.

I feel for ya. But sounds like you're heading in the best direction (destroy and rebuild). Hit me up if you ever need a hand with anything.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ah, the old 'fixing this old ****ty mess left over by an old employee who thought it would give them job security'.

I feel for ya. But sounds like you're heading in the best direction (destroy and rebuild). Hit me up if you ever need a hand with anything.
Thank you, I appreciate that. I will definitely shoot you a PM in the future the next time I'm stuck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts