Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
Lol, ok. All this can go to from here is a useless pissing match.
If you want to live in fear, do so, and enjoy. I choose not to. I'll stay healthy, take basic precautions, and go on with my life. ;)
So ignore the questions and make statements based on unfounded assumptions. Nice... :(

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I think it's funny that a bunch of motorcyclists are discussing risk factors of contracting a life threatening illness. Part of my justification for riding years ago was because I had already survived a serious illness and life is short. We can be out of here pretty quick from heart failure, cancer, a motorcycle accident or coronavirus.
I like to think I am a little more educated about risks and the value of life than I was years ago but I never want to get to the point of knowing too much for my own good. If I can't see the truth in what you are all saying then I may as well fizzle out so fast.

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
I've only had a few family members and close friends get it, but they seem to have pulled thru. I do have friends that have lost parents, though. I am glad my parents were not around to have to see this.

Being old and carrying some extra weight, we have been very careful about our exposure. We have not had a dinner out since Feb, which is really unusual for us. (used to be at least 2 meals/week) I have had a couple panic attacks when I was sure I had somehow been infected, or having to deal with other medical issues that required office visits and physical therapy. Every trip out is planned and calculated to minimize crowds, bathrooms, etc. (I was NEVER one to plan or worry much)

My wife was sort of forced into an early retirement. The stress of having her office literally right next to the morgue was more than we wanted to deal with. She took a leave of absence for 4 months that became official retirement July 1. With only 2 months of income, life is a bit different. I have liked having her home, as well as our son who is midway thru his 5th year at Michigan, a dual major in applied mathematics and computer science. I am only going in to check my mailbox at the radio station maybe once a month. OUr DJ's are recording shows at home and uploading to a computer that feeds our transmitter and keeps us on air.

We are very lucky to be isolated on a one-lane road off the beaten path. Surrounded by vineyards and cherry orchards, there are plenty of places to walk the dog, without having to drive anywhere. A short drive offers multiple parks with lots of trails and open spaces. Things were very busy here over the summer. It's always busy in summer, but I think it was even worse because so many were working from home. (or hotel room, B&B, etc. in northern Michigan) With schools also virtual, the season extended beyond Labor Day until the last of the fall colors were completely gone. I think the lodging industry may have had the best season ever.

It's changed our lives significantly, but we are OK at the moment. Our only losses are financial and social. I'm mourning a more care-free life and connections with friends. Oh yea, one month ago my Facebook was hacked. I have no clue what they posted or did, but my existence on there was totally deleted-- All my friends and contacts, photos, groups that I was a part of, etc. I have no idea if it's temporary, or a permanent ban. There's no email or phone number to contact anyone there.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Wow bh, I hope you and yours do alright up there. I lived in northwest Indiana for a long time and would ride up to Michigan on weekends. It's a great place to whether out a pandemic, that's for sure!
Meanwhile folks in north County San Diego have no idea there's a pandemic. Palomar was bumper to bumper minivans stopping to take photos of the snow, make snowmen, snowballs, engage 4x4 on the mall crawler and drive on the shoulder (I saw that). How are motorcyclists supposed to deal with the covid stress if our mountain roads are clogged?! C'mon people

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
My sister caught pneumonia last Oct. X-rays got her a lung cancer diagnosis.
Divorced, both adult sons hours away with jobs.
Her bank manager job is now completely impossible and she had to either quit or be fired.
I got to be her chemo taxi to the hospital every three weeks.
Been SIP ever since then to account for flu and other communicable maladies.
Now the covid makes everything even more a life or death decision.

The freedumbs and suck-it-up-buttercup strutters ...

Try doing something altruistic for once in your life rather than hocking loogies at those who do.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My father had it back in March after visiting Israel - a very early case when there was a lot of misinformation, misunderstanding, and fear. He was stuck in the hospital for over a week before he was "officially" diagnosed. We heard almost nothing from him for days due to the early lockdown because he had trouble keeping his phone charged. It was really a scary time. He pulled through (was never in the ICU or on a ventilator). When he got home, he slept hard for weeks before he started to get his energy back. In those early days it was really hard to get good information or quick test results. He's 75 and in really good health, but you never know who this thing will kill and back in March, it sounded like a death sentence.

I am looking forward to the vaccine and hope this year sees this thing somewhat under control.

Riding my bikes (2008 SV650 and 2017 HD-XG750) was all that kept me sane... I couldn't go the office or any of the usual places to get out of the house, so I just rode and rode every evening. My dad got a 2001 Suzuki Interceptor in September and now he joins me for a lot of evening rides. We added heated grips to the bikes for Christmas so we could keep getting out the house.

COVID sucks.

·
Chief Greeter
28,556 Posts
Still staying safe at home, I live in OC County and staying away from LA County cuz of the infection rate (1 in 5) and deaths every 15 minutes Think it may be less than that - Wow scary!

Dodger Stadium is the biggest Covid testing site in LA and now is going to be turned into a Covid vaccine site!

·
Registered
5,640 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
If you ride your bike to get vaccinated I wonder if you can filter through the traffic? :unsure:
Getting close to two months now that my wife has been living with the lingering effects of this virus... now that she is off all the steroids and most of the harsh meds she is dealing with kidney stones and continued inflammation in her abdomen. I suspect a lot of us will be dealing with these after-effects for many years, whether personally or with loved ones.

·
Chief Greeter
28,556 Posts
Well I found the website to register for the vaccine in Anaheim, and the site says that you can sign up if you are 65 and older but when I applied it shows a red box around my date of birth so I am not able to continue?! :p

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Well I found the website to register for the vaccine in Anaheim, and the site says that you can sign up if you are 65 and older but when I applied it shows a red box around my date of birth so I am not able to continue?! :p
Are you trying to cheat the system?? :sneaky:
It would not surprise me at all to find fault in a LA Co. maintained website, local governments are stretched so thin here in Riverside it's a miracle I can even get a call back from anybody at the County. I have to deal with local agencies a lot in my work and everyone seems to be awol now.

·
Chief Greeter
28,556 Posts
Haha operator error, had to add / marks to my birthday. But it is saying email is already used so I borrowed another email address so I am registered now.

And I saw on the news that there is no stockpile of the vaccine...

21 - 36 of 36 Posts