Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
I don't own it, but I did try it on at Motorcycles of Manchester (in NH). It's definitely a light helmet, looked to be pretty good build quality, and the carbon fiber looked pretty good. webBikeWorld had a pretty favorable review of it too. I'm not sure how close you are to NH, but if you have a chance to run down to Manchester, you could take a look in person. I think they're selling it for $449...

I fit the small HJC, but the med shoei rf-1000 (which is what I ended up with instead)

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
My birthday is in December. I'm hoping for a Shark.

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
I wanna say that Weasel has this helmet. I think he had it at the Ohio Rally, but I'm not 100% sure.
he's got the AC-12 elbowz

those carbon helmets are nice and light!

does your hubby have a HJC now? do you know what fits him perfect?

helmets are a risky gift venture if you don't know exactly what they need

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah he has an older HJC... but since just got a black/blue 1125r I think the blue carbon will match the bike well. Anyone have a pic of Weasel with it on????

·
Registered
220 Posts
I tried one on about a week ago... SUPER light, but didnt quite hit me juuuust right.

At this point, my TZ-R still fits my head the best, and the darn thing is like a vacuum. Just wish it breathed a little better. Maybe I'll try an RF-1000 soon.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
I've handled a similar Joe Rocket (made by HJC) in a store. Fit and finish were excellent, and the colored cf (blue was one of the colors) was gorgeous.

It is the lightest regular full-face helmet made, so if hubby appreciates a light helmet, he'll love it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I just picked up one of these helmets in large.. fs-15 carbon. I absolutely love it. For comparison, I own a shark rsr2 and a scorpion exo-400 as well.. The rsr2 i got of the net without trying it on, its an XL and is just a tad too big for me - and never felt quite right. . The scorpion fits me perfectly, and is an XL, but is so heavy it makes my neck hurt on longer rides. This hjc is really really light - a little lighter, or about the same as the shark . However, since it fits me perfectly,(or for whatever reason) it feels much lighter on my head.

The liner is nice and soft, and feels good next to my skin. Not quite as plush as the shark, however.

The visor does not have infinite adjustability - in fact it only has 3 settings. Open, closed, and half open. This is a bit of a shock, since I am used to having either infinite adjustability with the shark, or a bunch of adjustability with the scorpion.

The visor has very good optical properties. So good, i sometimes dont realize its down. And of course, visors are only 25 bucks, compared to 65 w/ shark.

I must say - its a great purchase. However, if i were to do it again - i would have gotten the RIGHT sized shark rsr2 in the first place. All in all - the shark is, IMO, a better helmet due to the visor's adjustability, thickness, padding comfort..

Even so - For the msrp - I can probably say that theres no better helmet than the fs-15 carbon. But - you can find sharks on ebay for less than 3 bills. I would try both on for size (if you can find someone who sells shark helmets) and figure out which one you like best!

·
Registered
411 Posts
I have the previous model. Visor is flimsy and distorted to look through, the gasket sucks (bad seal) and it's also pretty loud. Everything about it feels cheaper than my Shoei or Shark. Other than that...........wicked helmet.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have the previous model. Visor is flimsy and distorted to look through, the gasket sucks (bad seal) and it's also pretty loud. Everything about it feels cheaper than my Shoei or Shark. Other than that...........wicked helmet.
I think they addressed those issues - it seals well and is as quiet as the rsr2. The visor is clear as day but, does feel very thin compared to the shark's 3mm visor -and its not anti-fog at all. The shark is positively a better helmet - but I dont regret my purchase. I could *not* find a shark to try on locally, and didn't want to end up with another helmet that fit improperly... I did get my money's worth out of the shark - I put 10k miles on it.. It seemed like the more i wore it the more loose it began to feel. In the beginning i could tell it was a little big, but I couldnt return it. I made sure i couldnt pull it off using all the normal tests, so i wore it. Just didnt feel right. The fs-15 feels great... and can definitely recommend it as an option.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
I tried one on about a week ago... SUPER light, but didnt quite hit me juuuust right.

At this point, my TZ-R still fits my head the best, and the darn thing is like a vacuum. Just wish it breathed a little better. Maybe I'll try an RF-1000 soon.
I have a TZR and a RF1000. The fit is very very similar. The venting is very different. The RF1000 flows alot more air than the TZR.

Do it. DO IT! You won't be disappointed. :) Unless you pay too much for it. :p

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have a TZR and a RF1000. The fit is very very similar. The venting is very different. The RF1000 flows alot more air than the TZR.

Do it. DO IT! You won't be disappointed. :) Unless you pay too much for it. :p
Yea, maybe when summer rolls around... but, I really want to get a slip-on & if I have to choose between a helmet & a slip-on, I'm thinkin I'll go w/ the slip-on!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts