Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm seriously considering one. The fit seems right and the price is great $180. I want more vent action than my old RF900. Anyone have opinions on watertightness, safety horror stories, and so on. thanks for the help.

·
Registered
75 Posts
My second helmet was a Symax. Not a bad helmet, but it seems to be alot wider than the CL-14 I have now. Oddly enough, I am more comfortable in the CL-14 than the Symax. Glasses aren't bad in the CL-14 either.

I haven't crashed it it, so I couldn't tell you how it would do.
It is probably about average as far as water-tightness.
The large shell on a medium helmet seems to make it buffett more in the wind.

I just did a quick weigh in...

CL-14 = approx 3lbs, Dot/Snell, $110-$130 depending on graphics
Symax = approx 4lbs, Dot, approx $180

The Snell rating is not so important, but it is there.
Unless they have changed, I think that the Symax only has a single shell size which accounts for the "larger" size.

If I had to buy another helmet, I would probably just get another CL-14, or possibly an AC-11. I would consider the AC-11 because of a slight weight savings and graphics.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I had the Symax for 5 years. It was a very good helmet but I replaced it this summer with the new KBC FFR helmet. I have tried on every flip helmet available in the US and these are the only 2 that didn't hit my chin, though I could touch the HJC if I stretched. The interior of the Symax is very plush but it took me a couple of years for it to get really comfortable. It squeezed my cheeks and pressed pretty good on my forehead, leaving a large red area on my forehead when I took it off that my wife never let me forget. A lot of air comes up the bottom of the helmet onto your chin but that's really only a problem in the winter. A good balaclava is a must. The faceshield was good. Some people complain about the peripheral vision being limited but it was never a problem for me because my vision was just as limited by my glasses. I never even would have noticed except that my KBC has a significantly wider field of vision in every direction except down. I have heard reports of the faceshield flying open at speed when turning your head but that has never happened to me. If you are looking for more air flow in the helmet you should consider the KBC over the Symax. The liner in the Symax is solid and plush, making it more comfortable. But the KBC has mesh areas in the liner that flow a lot more air, sacrificing a little comfort and making it louder than the Symax. Not that the Symax is very quiet, at high speeds you will definitely want ear plugs with either helmet. The Symax also has plenty of room for ear phones. One last thing, on long rides the Symax would really start to hurt my right earlobe. That was something I never liked. Make sure if you get one your ears fit properly in the space inside the helmet.

Well, that's probably more than you ever wanted to know. Be sure you try one on before you buy and pay attention to the forehead, cheeks, and ears. Personally for my head shape the KBC FFR fits much better all around and I like the extra ventilation and view better.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts