Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need inspiration. My current school of thought was that bikes were done after 30k. Maybe that arose from the fact that you need to do maitenance at that point or that I prefer new stuff or maybe plain ignorance. Recently, I met a dude with 80k on a GSXR and I rode with a guy last year who had 60k on a Hawk GT. Now I know that would be average on a BMW and lots of Harleys have mileage like that on them (albeit they've endured 3 engine rebuilds to get there)... My question is how much mileage can you get out of a stock SV (without an engine rebuild)?

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
RandyO, the old man on the mountain, has about 110,000 on his SV and it still runs like a champ.

·
Eagle one
1,660 Posts
One of our members ...........RandyO has............ 123,000 miles...........and still going.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry, I wasn't suggesting that maintenance wasn't required before 30k.  Nice link, thanks!

**Edit - Oh, and page 3 has my bike exactly - cool!

·
Registered
722 Posts
Mine has 43,650 as of yesterday. It's still going strong and I seriously doubt that I need be concerned about the engine for at least the next 60K.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
Newdriver said:
31,000 on mine... Have never even had the valves checked... No problems.

-josh
I wouldn't be proud of not having looked at the clearances. You're past two inspections already.

You won't know there's a problem until it's way too late. That's why they're called inspections.

·
Registered
228 Posts
An internal combustion engine is an internal combustion engine for the most part just because its in a bikes dosen't mean anything. Look at Jap. cars and the miles a lot of those have on them. The main reason you don't see as many bikes with those kind of miles as cars is the tech on bikes advances so fast a lot of people trade or sale them for the newest and best. Not to mention that even a small accident on a bike can mean a totaled bike or one that no one wants to fix when in the case of a car its oh well its just a dent type of deal.

If you can manage to keep the bike in one piece and keep yourself in check when it comes to buying new bikes you can manage to keep a bike for as long if not longer than any car you may buy.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
svrider'shusband said:
An internal combustion engine is an internal combustion engine for the most part just because its in a bikes dosen't mean anything. 
yes, it does mean something, bike engines put out much more horsepower per cc/weight meaning there is more stress on engine components. they are also subjected to more extremes in their heating/cooling cycles cause there isn't as much mass to distribute temperature extremes, bikes engines are also subjected to more variation in engine speeds

·
Registered
301 Posts
Newdriver said:
31,000 on mine... Have never even had the valves checked... No problems.

-josh
+1, same deal on my 02 naked 650

·
Registered
131 Posts
Thanks for this bit of info I've been meaning to ask...

Some people at the office mentioned the very same thing...that b/c of the higher RPM of a motorcycle, the engines get worn out faster, and therefore the lifetime of a bike's only worth around 30K miles. That's terribly cost-inefficient. My old auto mechanics teacher once said, "cars are the worst investment b/c of depreciation...if you're going to buy one new, you should buy something you like and can drive until the wheels fall off." The same should apply to motorcycles too for those of us who are not independently wealthy.

So just by a couple assumptions, the yearly cost comparitively is something like

$24,000/20 years = $1200/yr vs

$7000/3 years = $2333/yr

If a bike can be maintained for a lifetime comparable to a car, that would be great. :) This seems to be a possibility too just as long as the bike's not ridden to redline all the time.

svrider'shusband said:
An internal combustion engine is an internal combustion engine for the most part just because its in a bikes dosen't mean anything. Look at Jap. cars and the miles a lot of those have on them. The main reason you don't see as many bikes with those kind of miles as cars is the tech on bikes advances so fast a lot of people trade or sale them for the newest and best. Not to mention that even a small accident on a bike can mean a totaled bike or one that no one wants to fix when in the case of a car its oh well its just a dent type of deal.

If you can manage to keep the bike in one piece and keep yourself in check when it comes to buying new bikes you can manage to keep a bike for as long if not longer than any car you may buy.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
kentuckyfried said:
Some people at the office mentioned the very same thing...that b/c of the higher RPM of a motorcycle, the engines get worn out faster, and therefore the lifetime of a bike's only worth around 30K miles. That's terribly cost-inefficient.
These statements sound like being straight from old two-stroke times... How old happen these "people at the office" to be? ;)

My bike is now at 40.000 miles and I´ve seen at least five with (in one case very considerably) more miles personally. Oh, and it´s older than 3 years as well. :)

Ciao
Jan

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Interesting debate. Based on the fact that there are people here with over 100k miles on their bikes, I'm inclined to think that my ride (at 28,000 kms) has plenty of life left in it. I will say that I'd be surpirsed to see an SV engine last as long as let's say a Honda Civic's car engine w/o a rebuild. I hope someone pops up here and proves me wrong though!

·
Registered
514 Posts
svrider'shusband said:

Cars don't rev to 15.5k either.......

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
lh said:
Interesting debate.  Based on the fact that there are people here with over 100k miles on their bikes, I'm inclined to think that my ride (at 28,000 kms) has plenty of life left in it.  I will say that I'd be surpirsed to see an SV engine last as long as let's say a Honda Civic's car engine w/o a rebuild.  I hope someone pops up here and proves me wrong though!
my bike might have 123k, but my cage has 318k (82 bmw 320i), I don't expect my SV to go that many miles, and I expect to get quite a few more miles on the cage

1 - 20 of 40 Posts