Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
That's not an eBay seat. That's a reproduction of the OEM seat sold by a vendor on eBay. eBay sells nothing but advertising space.

Why are you replacing your seat? Damage? Cracked vinyl? If so, you can recover it fairly easily and for much less money. Even put thicker, stiffer foam in to make it more comfortable.

·
very big dumb
9,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's not an eBay seat. That's a reproduction of the OEM seat sold by a vendor on eBay. eBay sells nothing but advertising space.

Why are you replacing your seat? Damage? Cracked vinyl? If so, you can recover it fairly easily and for much less money. Even put thicker, stiffer foam in to make it more comfortable.
jbs, around here everyone talks about "ebay levers" and "ebay barends" meaning "no name reproduction from china." Using the same semantics, an "ebay passenger seat" would be a cheap repro from china. :eek:ccasion14:

i have some scuffs, etc. As far as foam that would be a waste, i rarely have passengers and even then only for a few minutes. Re-covering would just be a pain in the rear. I've tried to do it before and the result is always crappy (loose in some areas, tight in others) when I do it myself. I lack patience or feel or something with doing it.

·
very big dumb
9,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess I chafe at anything termed "eBay xxxx" because I often sell on eBay and understand that eBay is a venue, not a vendor. So many miss that subtle nuance.
with 12+ years of ebay and well north of 300 transactions (both sales and purchases, not everyone leaves feedback...) I'm quite aware of the concept ;)
the reason I think people call the cheap chinese knock-offs "ebay xxxxx" is similar to why people call all adhesive bandages "bandaids" and all duct tape "duck tape". It gets the point across without needing to get too specific.

·
very big dumb
9,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
speaking of duct tape:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duct_tape

According to NASA engineer Jerry Woodfill, duct tape had been stowed on board every mission since early in the Gemini days. NASA engineers and astronauts have used duct tape in the course of their work, including in some emergency situations. One such usage occurred in 1970, when the square carbon dioxide filters from Apollo 13's failed command module had to be modified to fit round receptacles in the lunar module, which was being used as a lifeboat after an explosion en route to the moon. A workaround used duct tape and other items on board Apollo 13, with the ground crew relaying instructions to the flight crew. The lunar module's CO2 scrubbers started working again, saving the lives of the three astronauts on board.

Ed Smylie, who designed the scrubber modification in just two days, said later that he knew the problem was solvable when it was confirmed that duct tape was on the spacecraft: "I felt like we were home free," he said in 2005. "One thing a Southern boy will never say is, 'I don't think duct tape will fix it.'"[28]

·
very big dumb
9,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Get off my lawn!

;)

My first purchase there was an eBay SV650.
which btw, my friend that owns a bike shop often uses as an adjective to describe "basketcase bike that was bought cheap and for a good reason".
I've often heard him say "yeah, that's an ebay bike, and the guy is surprised he needs to sink $$$$ into it"

·
Registered
146 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,062 Posts
I agree with someone who questioned the alignment of the catch plate on that Knockoff. It does look crooked.

I wonder if it is adjustable (the crooked plate that is)

·
Registered
732 Posts
I agree with someone who questioned the alignment of the catch plate on that Knockoff. It does look crooked.
I wonder if it is adjustable (the crooked plate that is)
Does make you wonder what quality level you're gonna get if the one used in the sales pic is dodgy.

I'd say either try to recover it yourself, or I'm sure that's a 5min job for an upholsterer, can't imagine it costing that much...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts