Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for informed opinions, please.

After using my SHOEI RF-1000 for a while, I'm realizing that it's just a touch too long on my head in size L (and the size M doesn't fit). So, after trying on a lot of helmets, the one that seems to fit best is the Arai Vector in size M. Yikes!

Before I spend that kind of money, I'm looking for input from people who have the Arai Vector. Fit issues aside, I like my SHOEI for the build quality, airflow, light weight, aerodynamic stability, and shield system. How does the Vector compare?

I know that the Arai shield system is wonky, but I tried it in a store, and I seem to be able to change shileds without breaking anything. What is living with it like?

The Arai seems very light, but is it also stable at speed? Does it flow as much air as the SHOEI? The Arai has those little air vents in the visor -- Do they really work? How quiet is it?

The Arai seems like a quality piece, but, how will it hold up? Arai bills this as their "no-frills" helmet(!), but did they cut corners as well as features?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The only helmet that I've owned is the Arai Vector, but I've had no issues with it.

As for aerodynamics the helmet is fine, I don't get any buffeting (from the helmet alone) and it is pretty quiet. I can't compare it to the shoei but I've had no issues with aerodynamics.

The major annoyance is changing the shield. I have a dark and a clear. Changing back and forth is a pain. Over time it gets a bit easier because you develop some technique (there are times when I still think I'm going to break something, but I never have! ;D)

Overall it's a nice helmet with a solid build quality (compared with some of my friends hjc's) with no "extras" just the essentials. (plus the phil read replica looks freaking sweet)

·
Registered
208 Posts
i agree with Asoz. i have the (philread)vector. does look sweeet. only helmet i've owned second to a early 90's Arai which weighed about 15 pounds. haven't worn a shoei so i couldnt compare. but the arai is worth the money.

yeah changing the visor's is a little hairy because you think at any moment the plastic will rip from its housing but never does. fingers crossed because on a couple of occasions i've had to seriously use some force. small con for mostly pro's.

pretty quiet i think. very light indeed. at speed is fine. solid. good ventilation. A+

an Arai profile2 saved the life of a friend. i just trust the brand.

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
I have a Phil Read replica as well.
They are good helmets. The only thing I can compare it to is my mid level Shark I bought a few years back. My Shark actually feels lighter and has a much better visor (on/off) system than the Arai. I presonally only wear the Arai during the day (always has a dark tinted visor on it), just becasue I cannot be bothered to switch visors.
Wind noise, well, you will get it regardless... but yesterday I wore earplugs for the first time (usually listen to music but forgot the ipod at home) and it was great... they really drwon out the noise, especially at speed.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I just bought one and I love it, it is a great helmet, very comfortable, great vision, awesome ventilation, those little vents work great.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input. So, I pulled the trigger today on a Vector.

I really like the Phil Reed replica; one of my favorites. Unfortunately, it's a fairly new model, so the best price I found was $509. I couldn't justify the added expense over the deal I got on this one:

A lil' flashy, but I actually like it. Plus, it goes with my bike and my other gear. Besides, since I'm coming out of an RF Diabolic (cherubs, holographic skull, fleur-de-lis, wtf?), it's pretty classy. by comparison. Besides, killer deal!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I looked at it..fit me well, but the liner is not fully removable. Only the cheak pads..the top liner (which gets the most sweat and grease) does not come out.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I looked at it..fit me well, but the liner is not fully removable. Only the cheak pads..the top liner (which gets the most sweat and grease) does not come out.
I considered this, and, frankly, I decided that getting an exact fit was much more important. The Vector fits me like it was made from a mold of my head. (As soon as I put it on, I said to myself, "Ahhh... I'm screwed.")

A removable liner has it's good and bad points. In general, a fixed liner is more comfortable. It can be washed, too, although not as easily as a removable liner. After living with a fixed liner in my RF, I don't think it's a big deal. I also wear a skullcap liner or do-rag, which cuts down on the need to clean the helmet.

In an Arai, the removable liner is good if you need to fine-tune the fit, since Arai sells thinner and thicker liners for each size helmet. This shouldn't be a problem for me, as the Vector in medium fits me very tightly.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
good choice, that one looks so so sick with the arai blue mirror visor

Thanks! I'm not much for mirrored shields, though. I got a dark smoke to go with the clear.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts