Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well? I'm about 3 seconds away from being fast, but i'm already starting to peel apart tires. Tore a bridgestone 250 slick up pretty bad, still half the rubber left on the tire but with how scalloped it is i dont think i'll be riding on it again. Experienced the same issues with the front end that people on the big bikes were complaining about.

Going to try the new gpa 160, then probably the pirelli. The michelin power one wore pretty good but lacked outright grip. Thats my excuse for falling on my face.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have limited room for adjustment, penske double and its set up pretty close to whats happy for my weight. There's other guys at the track having the same problems on their SV's, i'm not convinced there is a good setup for these damn things lol.

Also hoping i do less damage to the GPa's then i did the stones.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
It's not unheard of for fast guys to get 10 races on a set of tires. As long as you run the proper pressures, tires should last you awhile on.

What do you mean limited room of adjustment on your Penske?

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
penske double and its set up pretty close to whats happy for my weight.
Rider weight is fine for a base-line starting point but if you're tearing up tires then you need to start experimenting.

A couple of years ago I went through a period where my rear started to show some tearing after just 8 laps. Now my rear tires look great after 24-32 laps and I'm 2 seconds faster than I was back when I had the tearing issues.

What solved it? A little playing with the clicker settings & a few shock spring swaps. Now I'm running much heavier springs that are stiff enough for a rider 100+ lbs heavier than I am, but it works. Gratned, it's a little stiff for tracks outside of NHMS, but it works.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Playing with springs might be what I need to do. Sag is pretty much in its happy place for this spring, compression has 5 settings and is set at 3 (more or less doesn't work) rebound is nice and smooth, so apart from one or two clicks on the rebound I don't have much room to play short of swapping springs.

There is a penske guy at my race weekends so ill need to have a word with him, I put one qualifying race, two 12 lap races and a practice session on a set of brand new slicks. Still half the tire left but its so badly scalloped I don't think ill be turning another lap on it. Not cool

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
I've been getting 12+ races out of my Bridgestone slicks, and am not slow.

Just did 1 hour of a 3 hour endurance race (~31 laps at class winning pace), and 2x 8 lap races the next day on a brand new slick. I'm going to flip it for next weekend and run 3x 8 lap races on it and I'll probably keep it for track days and/or practice.

By next month I'll have raced 4 weekends this year and only used 2 rear tires, and this is at BIR which is notoriously a track that can kill tires. Also of note they look normal when they wear (no tearing or anything, just smooth!) and I usually replace them before they start slipping on me.

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
Keep in mind that it could be geometry also (particularly rear ride height).
Everybody likes to twirl the clickers, but that's just pissin' in the wind if springs and geometry aren't right.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rear ride height is at iirc 340, you're the same people who told me 340 to start 342 max.

To be fair I have a guilty little secret, when the chain was installed two seasons ago me and my buddy set the length near the back of the adjustment because we were worried there wasn't enough room to take another link out. Well with a smaller rear sprocket on it there is definitely room, I'm going to take a full link out before next race weekend and hoping its going to be a different bike.

Front is dropped about 11mm, stock modded forks.

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
Rear ride height is at iirc 340, you're the same people who told me 340 to start 342 max.

To be fair I have a guilty little secret, when the chain was installed two seasons ago me and my buddy set the length near the back of the adjustment because we were worried there wasn't enough room to take another link out. Well with a smaller rear sprocket on it there is definitely room, I'm going to take a full link out before next race weekend and hoping its going to be a different bike.

Front is dropped about 11mm, stock modded forks.
That sounds fine, what are your sag numbers, free and total?

·
Registered
129 Posts
As mentioned by others little differences in pressure and suspension settings will make huge differences. track surfaces make a difference as well but with the exception of 250 four strokes I don't think you could find a bike easier on tires than a SV.

Keep trying things and keep notes.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The tech who setup my bike says 30mm total so from uncompressed to with me on it, I remember that I had used a sag number off here to set it myself and that he didn't have to touch it when we measured at the track (totally screwed up the front measurement somehow but got that fixed).

I actually haven't measured it this season, but before I sent the shock out for new oil I marked where the ring was and put it back to the same spot. Should be real close but I should probably double check

As an aside part of the problem is me not being smooth enough. That being said when I tried to be smoother on power ones they cleaned right up, on the stones they just tear worse

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
Tire pressure to the track temp is another major key. I started chewing up a set last race weekend and a simple 2psi change in pressure made the thing start to wear a TON better. Different tires and manf. are going to have different ideal pressures and suspension settings.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I thought I remembered loving bridgestone tires, reeeally didn't like the 250 slick. Running it at 30 front 28 rear exactly where told to. Really didn't like the feel of the bstone front, looking forward to seeing how badly I demolish a set of the new gpa's

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
I thought I remembered loving bridgestone tires, reeeally didn't like the 250 slick. Running it at 30 front 28 rear exactly where told to. Really didn't like the feel of the bstone front, looking forward to seeing how badly I demolish a set of the new gpa's
Try a pound or two less in the rear.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Pressures "on warmers" as per the dunlop web page suggest 33 for the front gpa and 30 for the 160 rear. Should be interesting

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.