Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy of mine who has way more years riding than I finally got a modern bike. He has been riding about 25 yrs. and was always into 70' and 80' era Jap bikes. Well he finally bought a Kawi Zrex 2002 model. God damn that thing is fast. Anyone ever try one?? Next week he said he will let me have a shot at it, can't wait. I brought him to my local back road stretch where I usually flog my SV. It has some nice sweepers. I usually hit them just shy of triple digits. Well there I was leaned over and going and out of no where be just blasted by effortlessly:oops: 120 he said. 4th gear and no where near redline, 5 grand I think, Damn. Looks like I am going to have to look for some really tight twisties to get even :lol: Pretty impressive bike. If anything I told him that by him having such a fast bike he will force me to become a better rider. The funniest part was is that he is usually a very calm rider who doesn't ride fast, but being his new toy and first real modern sportbike he couldn't help it. I believe his exact words were : " he was happier than a dog with 2 d*cks " :lol:

Under200

Under200

P

·
0 Posts
ugly???

I dont know if I would call them ugly. Definitely retro and very original.

I have a 2000 ZRX that I put 200 miles on today. The more I ride the bike the better I like it. WAYYYYYYYYYYY more POWER than the SV. You cant even compare the bikes but both are fun.

I love my ZRX and I love my SV.

The problem with the bike is that it takes the right person to realize what it is. A pizza faced 20 yo isnt gonna understand the signifigance of the bike. Only that it looks old. And to me that is the beauty of it. Some call it ugly I call it character.

Perry

·
Registered
32 Posts
I thought they were hideous when i first saw them. Then i started hearing people rave about them. Then i started hearing some other stuff about an eddie lawson replica. Then i started really looking at them.

The more i look at the bike the more i absolutely love it. It's such an awesome bike. It's got power, style, suspension, and man it's a super boss bike. Two of my riding buddies have had them so far, and all i can say is I want one. They're unbelievably cheap for what you get. Not too mention you get to ride a modern version of a bike that made motorcycling history.

I've actually gotten to ride one as well. You really have to be careful because around 3000-3500 rpm's if you got on the throttle a little too hard the front end comes right up in first.

If more people would get real with themselves about what they need we'd have a lot more people on SV's and ZRX's. Someone awarded these two bikes the best overall bikes on the market.

all i can say is ride one, it'll change the way you feel about motorcycles and motorcycling

oh yeah and it's supposed to be straight out of the 80's. and for some of us that's not a bad thing...

P

·
0 Posts
yup

I paid $3000 for mine 4 months ago. From the original owner, 6500 miles, not a scratch. They are the bargain of the industry.

Plus most are owned by middle aged professionals who always wanted the Z1R. But never could afford it 25 years ago.

I will say that like every stock bike, the suspension needs some help. In my opinion most do. But this bike is the perfect building platform. Great engine, good brakes, lots of parts, and super cool.

The bikes weighs a ton but feels light when moving. I also have a FZ1, and the ZRX feels like it has a lower center of gravity.

The ugly ZRX is the perfect compliment to an SV. The riding position makes it great for all day rides and the seat is actually comfy for two people.

The way I see it, you can get a clean used SV and a clean used ZRX for less than a beat on 1000 cc bike. And besides who can actually ride a 1000cc supersport to its potential on the street anyways. A couple years back Eddie Lawson said he couldnt. So I doubt many other could.

Perry.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Yea, when I first got into bikes, it was either a supersport...or it was completely stupid and I didn't want any part of it.

One of the ironies of that: one time an SV with a two bros. system rode by and I rolled my eyes like: "I hate those naked bikes! They're so stupid and ugly!"

So why do I own a naked SV with a two bros. system? 8)

Bottom line, people who truly love motorcycling love all kinds of motorcycles(except maybe...cruisers...). I think the z-rex is sexy now...and I'm too young to know what historical '80's era race you're talking about.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I love the ZRX, its a great bike, and it will probably be my next bike. I have been considering an SV as well, but the ZRX seems like a better choice as an all around do everything bike. I have ridden them, and they are a blast, but so are all the bike bore naked standard bikes. I also think they are freakin great looking, but thats just my opinion.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
siisgood00 said:
Those ugly things look like they came straight from the 80's.
That's the point they are retro bikes. They look way better in person. After 20 min I actually liked they way they looked. It's no rolling artwork like a Ducati superbike but kinda cool in it's own way. As far as bang for the buck I think it is hard to beat. It has a 1200 engine, hydro clutch, 6 piston front brakes :shock:, and fully adj. suspension. The rear setup annoys me though, I don't like the whole 2 shock thing but that adds to it's retro style I guess. I also don't like the weight, 530 lbs. Although it doesn't feel heavy.
Perryk hit the nail right on the head, my buddy is 46 yrs old and grew up wanting a z1000r. I can't wait to ride it. I am sure a new gixxer 750 would tear it up but it is a cool ass bike especially for under 8 grand msrp new, and more like under 6 used.

Under200

·
Registered
7 Posts
I absolutely love the zrx bikes. I think the retro styling is awesome. I especially like the green but I don't think it's available for 2004. I have a riding buddy at www.easttnriders.com who has one. He is very fast through the gap. Also, have you seen the storage compartment on those things? My buddy keeps a big gulp drink in his. He lowsided back in April, same time as me, and his drink never spilled.

I would seriously consider one for a next bike.

P

·
0 Posts
green

Eventhough the 1200s are faster, the 99 & 2000 have a way better green.

Perry

·
Registered
7 Posts
My buddy has the zrx1200r. I'm not sure what year his is but it's blue.

·
Registered
836 Posts
87Hurricane said:
I love the ZRX, its a great bike, and it will probably be my next bike. I have been considering an SV as well, but the ZRX seems like a better choice as an all around do everything bike. I have ridden them, and they are a blast, but so are all the bike bore naked standard bikes. I also think they are freakin great looking, but thats just my opinion.
You just like old sportbikes, man! :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
siisgood00 said:
Those ugly things look like they came straight from the 80's.
:roll: Durr, that's the whole point. I think they're beautiful, I almost bought the purplish one. It was a trade in and I could have bought it for pretty cheap. I did take it for a good test ride, HUGE power, I mean just twist anywhere and it would take off like gangbusters. I think it pretty much has like 100 lbs torque anywhere you go. I remember reading a dude's account online about his ZRX, it was basically his return to road biking, he ended up draggin it. Basically when he finished the article he was well in the 9's (extended swingarm, nos, engine work etc). I wouldn't mind having one, cuz silly squids who wouldn't know any better would be like, "Ugly old bike". And then I'd fly by em cuz I'd have the muzzy big bore kit http://www.muzzys.com/ZRX-1200/mods/index.html#1224 all the while enjoying the comfort of the nice wide seat with my gf in the back and our picnic lunch in the bigass underseat trunk, never worrying about cops because its not a flashy SS.

Awesome road bike.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
I tried out a ZRX1100 when I bought my SV back in 99, what can I say, it's an inline 4, no soul, no character, sure it has plenty of power and is comfortable, but so does a Buick convertable. IMHO "REAL" motorcycles have no more than 1 or 2 cylinders

P

·
0 Posts
happens all the time.

silly squids who wouldn't know any better would be like, "Ugly old bike".

That happens all the time to me.

Kids these days just dont undertand the bike.

Perry

T

·
0 Posts
I had an '02 ZRX 1200, and with a pipe and jet kit it made 131 hp. Huge torque, comfortable all-around bike. I miss it and may buy another one. I want to ride an SV1000 first though.

·
Registered
235 Posts
RE

The ZREX is a beautiful scoot! I have spent many hours reading up on maint/mods etc on their forum and really want one (but not in green). It's a great all arounder and if I could only have one bike that would probably be it. I really like the FZ1 too but there are way to many reports on the FZ1 forum of it being very buzzy (as is the '04 R1) and numbing hands - no thanks.

P

·
0 Posts
both...

Cos,

I have both...an FZ and a ZRX and will say that the ZRX is a tad smoother.

But once you jet and put a slip on the the FZ its a damn fine cycle.

I paid almost $6000 for my FZ last spring and $3000 for the ZRX this spring.

The ZRXs are a steal and with a full Muzzy and jet kit, you can have an amazing all rounder for under $4000.

Perry

·
Registered
235 Posts
RE

Thanks for the tip but I still wouldn't gamble with one. Do a vibration search on the FZ1 board - yikes!!! :shock:

Do you also have an SV?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts