Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Never ridden one, but their owners are very loyal...

[bumpage]

·
Registered
184 Posts
Never rode one, though looked @ the 05 prior to buying my sv from a friend. They get excellent reviews constantly(kind of like the sv), and also has tremendous owner loyalty. The reviews I've read state that it is real fast, has upright riding position, can sport-tour or bang around in the twisties and is comfortable all day long.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I have...my father had one the first year they came out. Its a fairly large bike and has a very upright riding postion, great power, good brakes. I didnt really care for the heavy(compared to an SV) handling and the seating postion. If your looking for a bike for sporty type touring they are pretty cool, I would not want one for an only bike tho

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Ride one if you get the chance, dude. From what I gather, test ride = sale. Killer motor combined with all day ergos. Too upright for my tastes, but a lot of folks love 'em. FZ1 owners are cultish about their bikes, kind of like many SV owners...

[edit: Linky-- http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/index.shtml]

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'm pretty sure its a de-tuned R1 engine, though only slightly. The heavier weight is a consideration, though it doesn't seem to detract in any way from its performance. The 06 is a next gen., it does look sweet.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jiff84 said:
Just be careful thats an R1 motor w/ 127 rear wheel horsepower. Good choice for a second bike if you are into sport touring IMO.
An article I just read yesterday said its down form 72 ft lbs torque to only 68 ft lbs of torque and it has 148 rear wheel horsepower, and its the weight that makes it uncomparable to the R1

·
Registered
184 Posts
I was in the middle of posting a reply, and when I looked, I noticed that Jiff84 had the whole R1 thing covered!

·
Registered
330 Posts
I rode one for a while on hwy 25 in Californa, about 30 or 40 miles of twisty road. My impression was that the motor is strong but lacks personality, it's too much like an electric motor. I prefered my SV much more. It's not that it doesn't have horsepower but more that on the SV all the different areas of the power band are distinct and recognizable and each area of the power band has it's own appeal. As with most larger displacement bikes you just don't use enough of the bike's "total experience" gears, powere curve, handling etc. on the roads that are the most fun to drive on, which in my pinion are driven at 30 to 90 mph.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I'd like to get one as a 2nd bike for 2-up and long distance rides. I really want an FJR but I figure an FZ1 with good luggage would suit me just fine and cost a bunch less.

I've ridden with other FZ folks in the twisties and they have no problems keeping up.

·
Registered
196 Posts
My dad owns an 02 FZ1, so i have plenty of opportunity's to ride it and commonly do so when mine is down for mods. I am 6'4 and the ergos suit me better than my sv does. If it was mine personally i would put some different bars on it to get a lil more tucked you sit very much upright. I would also want a little more weight over that frontend if it was mine. If you have spent some time on your Sv switching over to the I4 power is pretty impressive. Prolly -1 tooth up front and +1 or 2 in the rear to get the most use outta the power curve. It is dangerously easy to throw up a wheelies if one was so inclined.
The topend is impressive ive personally had it to 155+ (indicated) and it was still pulling. For those who are going to flame me heres some fuel for you, i was wearing flipflops, no helmet, and i was on the way home from the bar!!!! I'm just kidding it was in a safe location with proper gear. I'm not bragging about haulin tail I'm just throwing that out there for those who are curious about ones topend.
Hes a member of the FZ1 forum and after cruising a lot of bike forum theirs is much like our in that the members are usually sensible and mature about riding. As compared to some forums Ive seen i haven't seen any posts about "I did a three mile stand up wheelie while jerkin off to pictures of Lindsey Lohan" There are a few ex racers there and some who have dumped alotta money into tuning theirs to the hilt, but for the most part just a lotta friendly guys who will help out much like on our forum. Although i haven't noticed nearly as much post-whoring that i have grown to appreciate on here.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Jon Mueller said:
Are they good bikes just want some feedback.
It's funny that you ask... I've got an '02 bought new in Aug of '02... She's got 35,000 + mile now and I've had zero trouble. Well except for wearing out countless rear tires  ::) Otherwize a great ride.

As for as riding position, I think it's great for all day or multi-day... I have made a few changes though. I went with the Yamaha lower bar mounts and also raised the rearsets (pegs).... Also have a corbin seat for longer rides.
Also went 2 up on the rear sprocket and 1 down ion the front... So it's plenty fast. I can hang with R-1s up to about 135 or so but then the aerodynamics take it's toll and the true sports bikes will walk away easily... even an R-6 will have a higher top end. But since I'm not really concerned about top end... it's a non issue. I did see 167 indicated on one occasion with the stock gearing. That was when the R-6 walked away... (closed course only!)  ;)

Anyway, for me (untill recently) having only one bike, it's probably the best of both worlds... Not the best at any one thing but Pretty damn good at just about anything. Oh Yeah, it's fun to spank many a true spotbike in the twisties ;D

Touring? I've done 600 mile days back to back to back.
Twisties? About 90% of those 35,000 miles were done in the mountains of Georgia, Carolinas, and Tenn (DealsGap anyone?)
Not to mention 3 TrackDays... Pretty much covers the bases, huh?

Course NOW the SV will the tool of choice for the track and 50% of  my twisies...

OOps, sorry for the long winded reply....  ::)

Carry on...

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Rock-n-sv-Roll said:
It's funny that you ask... I've got an '02 bought new in Aug of '02... She's got 35,000 + mile now and I've had zero trouble. Well except for wearing out countless rear tires  ::) Otherwize a great ride.

As for as riding position, I think it's great for all day or multi-day... I have made a few changes though. I went with the Yamaha lower bar mounts and also raised the rearsets (pegs).... Also have a corbin seat for longer rides.
Also went 2 up on the rear sprocket and 1 down ion the front... So it's plenty fast. I can hang with R-1s up to about 135 or so but then the aerodynamics take it's toll and the true sports bikes will walk away easily... even an R-6 will have a higher top end. But since I'm not really concerned about top end... it's a non issue. I did see 167 indicated on one occasion with the stock gearing. That was when the R-6 walked away... (closed course only!)  ;)

Anyway, for me (untill recently) having only one bike, it's probably the best of both worlds... Not the best at any one thing but Pretty damn good at just about anything. Oh Yeah, it's fun to spank many a true spotbike in the twisties  ;D

Touring? I've done 600 mile days back to back to back.
Twisties? About 90% of those 35,000 miles were done in the mountains of Georgia, Carolinas, and Tenn (DealsGap anyone?)
Not to mention 3 TrackDays... Pretty much covers the bases, huh?

Course NOW the SV will the tool of choice for the track and 50% of  my twisies...

OOps, sorry for the long winded reply....  ::)

Carry on...
Im only about 5' 9" 165lbs, and Im not the strongest guy by anymeans, is this bike maybe a bit to big for me.

·
Registered
254 Posts
How long have you been riding? I started riding a Suzuki VX800 which has a claimed dry weight of 470. Sucker felt top heavy as well, and I managed OK on it. Of course now I'd be completely comfortable again on it, but as a beginner it was somewhat intimidating. I'm 5'9" and was about 140lbs at the time.

If you've been riding your SV for a while, an FZ1 which seems to weigh about the same if not lighter than my old VX, shouldn't be intimidating.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Jon Mueller said:
Im only about 5' 9" 165lbs, and Im not the strongest guy by anymeans, is this bike maybe a bit to big for me.
It only feels heavy when stopped (like backing out of a parking space) once you get rolling, it doesn't feel heavy at all.

I'm 5' 9'' 175. It is a tall bike, so unless your legs are long, you won't be able to sit with both feet flat on the ground.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.