Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Board,

I was riding with a friend on a busy 3 lane one way street.  A dog jumped off the side walk right into my path.  I was going 40-45.  The dog probably weighted about 25-30lbs.  Here were my options.

1) Swerve: I could have just tried to dodge him.  I thought if I swerved the dog may have dared and I would have had a greater chance at falling if that happened.

2) Hit the Brakes.  I didn't know if this was a good idea because there was traffice behind me and I think it would be better to hit the dog with more velocity than less.

3) Maintain speed and honk horn: This is what I chose because I thought if I hit the dog with more velocity I'd have a better chance of staying balanced.  I also thought this would give the dog time to react (if I maitain speed rather than speed up).

I probably had a half second to react.  Has anyone here hit a dog.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I had a dog run into the wheel of my mtn bike. I thought he was going to turn and run w/ me, not into me.
I've hit a dog w/ my car. It ran out right in front of me nothing I could do. Hunted down it's owners to make sure it was ok. Didn't charge them for the light I had to replace.

·
Registered
104 Posts
You can hit a lot of things while riding that won't make you fall down. I've hit other people racing many times at 70-80 plus and not fallen down. Just relax your grip and let the bike do what it wants to do.

·
Hall Monitor
2,762 Posts
Lay on the horn and brake hard to scrub off speed. Release the brakes before you hit the dog. If the dog turns and runs, great. If it freezes, try to swerve around it (after releasing the brakes).

If traffic is close enough behnd you to worry that you'll get hit, rest assured you'll get run over anyway when you hit the dog at speed and go down.

I'm not convinced that you gain stability by hitting the dog at, say, 45 or 50 mph as opposed to 20 mph. But the impact on both you and the dog will be much worse. Don't foget that kinetic energy is the mass multiplied by the velocity squared, all divided by two. So twice the speed will result in four times as much energy being dissipated as damage.

Bill

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
I hit a big dog, when I was 18, at 40 mph that was chasing the biker ahead of me and didn't notice there were 2 bikes. He was running full speed and took me out like a guided missile. It was a perfect T-bone and he blasted straight out in front of me. That didn't upset my bike but then I hit/ran over him again and that upset the front wheel on down I went. Slight knee abrasions and a hole in my elbow.  That's when I found out that sweat shirts don't protect. The dog had a history of being a full blown car chaser and there was a leach law in that town. I was so pissed when I got up that I was going to finish him off but there was no need. I suppose I could have sued for my 2 stitches and side cover and other small pieces but it kind of devastated the poor family, with kids, that their Bo Bo was dead. Too bad they weren't smart enough to control their dog and respect the law is the way I look at it.  :'(

·
Registered
237 Posts
I've only been in that situation once and did a high speed swerve at about 60mph on the Harley Road King. Someone's rather large hunting dog was standing in the middle of the road as I topped a hill, I swerved right and the dang dog turned right. I barely clipped him with the highway peg on the engine guard. I shutter to think what would have happened if I had decided to try and ride over him.

The problem I see is you never know which way they are going to turn but scrubbing speed, if you have time, can't be a bad thing. Then swerve toward the butt end of the dog. That way if you do hit him it will be a glancing blow at the most and not a broadside hit.

I hope you ride two fingers on the front brake lever to reduce your braking time and distance in congested areas.

·
Registered
26 Posts
So twice the speed will result in four times as much energy being dissipated as damage.
Into the dog...energy transfers. It'd be your momentum against the dogs and you have a LOT more.

If two cages hit head on, the one that's going faster will come out better (assuming they both have the same mass).

·
Registered
551 Posts
in the motorcyclists handbook (provided by the DMV) they say that if a animal (i.e. a dog...) approaches you when riding, u should down and proceed with caution until the dog loses interest. if necc. stop.

·
Registered
76 Posts
thread jack.......me and my cuz were out riding 3 weeks ago....a horse, yes a horse was standing in the rode as we came around a corner....slowed down enough to ease by him, scared the hell out of me, i was leading and you can imagine that it took a few looks to realize what i was looking at.

·
Registered
551 Posts
The Noob said:
thread jack.......me and my cuz were out riding 3 weeks ago....a horse, yes a horse was standing in the rode as we came around a corner....slowed down enough to ease by him, scared the hell out of me, i was leading and you can imagine that it took a few looks to realize what i was looking at.
haha that would scare the crap outa me!

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
spuds said:
in the motorcyclists handbook (provided by the DMV) they say that if a animal (i.e. a dog...) approaches you when riding, u should down and proceed with caution until the dog loses interest. if necc. stop.
I dont know about you WI boys, our DMV book here says if there is a dog, slow down till you get beside him then gas it to pull away. DO NOT STOP. You dont know if the dog bites.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I'm not altruistic when it comes to animals. To me a 25-30lb dog is right at the borderline of "squishable" or "non-squishable". I'll take my chances with scrubbing speed and hitting it, rather than swerving (traffic dependent). I figure I'm going down, the questions is do I go down in a straight line over the bars, or do I swerve and hit something worse? (Tree, car, guardrail...)

I had a woodchuck run onto the highway kind of in front of me (about 4 seconds to react) at 85mph this past summer. I was lucky in that I could ride center line ready to move left or right, but not too much since there was very little shoulder and Jersey Barriers on each side of the highway. I was fully prepared to hit that damn woodchuck at that speed instead of swerving and taking my chances with the barriers. Fortunately it stayed on the shoulder.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The Noob said:
Thats a common thing round my way i live near the new forest where horses and cattle are allowed to roam free (some old English common law that allows people to graze there animals there) and there are major link roads going through it. the animals are always on the road, so much so that many of the horses wear reflective collars so they don't get hit at night. It's crazy but the tourists love it. :)

Never hit a dog though just a pheasant.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I had a German Shepard jump out of the bushes at me while I was on the bike. My usual tactic is to slow down; that way the dog has the wrong trajectory, and then speed up as he/she gets closer. The dog nibbled at my right leg and I ended up running over it with my rear wheel. It wasn't difficult to control the bike at the time; just like a big pot hole in reverse. The dog actually got up and ran away. Not sure if it was seriously injured or not.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Dragon Slayer almost got hit by a deer, I seen it out of the corner of my eye and juiced it. But it kept up with him.

THem deer are fast!!!!

·
Registered
787 Posts
Your third option was the best give it a little gas and hit the horn and pray for the best, IMO i wouldn't feel that bad if I hit somebodies dog because they should be on a leash or fenced in or something, i mean you don't let a 3 year old just run around in the yard unsupervised

1 - 20 of 29 Posts