Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
I need to start jogging again. Try and lose some of the 20 extra pounds I've tacked on. I just HATE running. Like my very least favorite activities.

·
Banned Member
4,562 Posts
Back in the day I used to run ~30-45 mi/wk. Now, if I run more than 10 mi/wk I get really bad shin splints and knee issues after 2-3 weeks.

I ride my road bike now. I've been pretty consistently 100-150 mi/wk except the past few. Weather hasn't been too agreeable and I don't want to hook up the trainer.

I go to the gym and move weights around 3 days/wk as well.

I'll be out in UT from 18 May - 26 June. No GF, nothing to do but work my reserve duty and exercise. I'm planning on 200+ mi/wk on the bicycle and the gym 3-4 days/wk.

·
45% Member
7,585 Posts
If you enjoy running, more power to ya.

Personally, I can't stand running just for the sake of running. I have to be doing something, playing a sport, being chased by a bear, trying to catch the beer truck, anything. I simply can't run "just because". Perhaps my brain is malfunctioning.

Edit: Oh yeah, and my knees and ankles are ****** up beyond belief. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
nope...bad knees...jumped outta too many trees as a kid!

I use to get bored running in HS gym class tho. I loved volleyball & sprinting though...I loved how people would say "Smokers cant run!" then I'd be all slow till the last 1/2 lap and I'd sprint the HECK out of it and blow past em ALL lol

I wish I was as in shape as I was then LOL. My thighs are still hecka strong but the rest....nooot so much!

G

·
I used to run about 5 days/week. Never a long distance runner, just a consistent 10Km run... I used to try to beat my time to become faster. Best time I ever did was 10Km in a little over 37 minutes. And I was a smoker during my running days.

Now I'm old, fat, and I suffer from arthritis. I couldn't run a city block now.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Back in the day I used to run ~30-45 mi/wk. Now, if I run more than 10 mi/wk I get really bad shin splints and knee issues after 2-3 weeks.

I ride my road bike now. I've been pretty consistently 100-150 mi/wk except the past few. Weather hasn't been too agreeable and I don't want to hook up the trainer.

I go to the gym and move weights around 3 days/wk as well.

I'll be out in UT from 18 May - 26 June. No GF, nothing to do but work my reserve duty and exercise. I'm planning on 200+ mi/wk on the bicycle and the gym 3-4 days/wk.

Ugh, thanks to SF in the military, 12k miles every other day. Shin splints? Oh if you didn't have em, you weren't trying.

Now I run...3 miles once a week (maaaaaaaybe)

·
Registered
328 Posts
There's a member on here that goes by COrun, If I recall correctly he said he runs the Ultra marathons, distances of greater than 26.2 miles.

My dad ran numerous marathons and 50-100 mile ultra's, his knees are so bad now he has a hard time going up and down stairs.

I, myself ran two marathons in my teenage years and used to run 35+ miles per week, nowadays however I'm lucky to finish the 1.5 mile run for my annual Air Force PT test, Lol.

·
Registered
167 Posts
That would be me. I'm sticking to half marathons and below this summer. yes, I know I'm crazy by most people's standards and I'm fine with it! :p

I coach high school track and cross country now as well, its a way of life I guess

G

·
I've always considered full marathons to be abuse of one's body. And those triathalon folks are just plain nuts. I don't know how anyone could do that.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I was a big running for a long time, then I got a severe high ankle sprain last year. I've started running again but my ankle is still messed up, and I have knee and hip problems from it now too. I miss running, but it sucks that it hurts so much just to get a few miles in.

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
Also used to run a lot. Could bang out 6+ minute miles all day long. Then I stopped playing rugby competitively, and lost my reason to be fit - survival.

Now I'm a big fat blob, trying to start again. It's not easy.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I really like it. I do it partly to stay in shape but I also really just like that time. I am fairly busy with work all day and family in the evenings and it is just nice to get out every other morning and have a half hour or 45 minutes of just running with noone but myself. Sometimes I listen to the iPod and sometimes I just run.

I have been using the Nike sensor deal for the last year or so which makes it a little more interesting. At least I get a general idea of my pace and I can keep a log of my runs.

You guys that run < 6 minute miles are just nuts. My mini time last year was something like 2 hr 10 min. Something around a 10 min/mile average. I think my best average ever was in a 5k at an 8 min/mile. I don't think I could even run one mile at under 6 minutes.

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
If you enjoy running, more power to ya.

Personally, I can't stand running just for the sake of running. I have to be doing something, playing a sport, being chased by a Brad, trying to catch the beer truck, anything. I simply can't run "just because". Perhaps my brain is malfunctioning.

Edit: Oh yeah, and my knees and ankles are ****** up beyond belief. :rolleyes:

fixt;D

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
Well, I really like it. I do it partly to stay in shape but I also really just like that time. I am fairly busy with work all day and family in the evenings and it is just nice to get out every other morning and have a half hour or 45 minutes of just running with noone but myself. Sometimes I listen to the iPod and sometimes I just run.

I have been using the Nike sensor deal for the last year or so which makes it a little more interesting. At least I get a general idea of my pace and I can keep a log of my runs.

You guys that run < 6 minute miles are just nuts. My mini time last year was something like 2 hr 10 min. Something around a 10 min/mile average. I think my best average ever was in a 5k at an 8 min/mile. I don't think I could even run one mile at under 6 minutes.
Sigh...I love running, and at one point in my life I was really, really good at it. Was all-state in HS, in spite of the fact that 3 mile X-Country wasn't really long enough for me. Get me out to 10 or 15k and things were good. Ran a 31 minute 10k in HS, in practice. I could run 6 minute miles virtually forever, 20-25 miles or more. Then I developed bad shin splints, and never completely recovered. I can run, but can't train, and just jogging for health or fitness frustrates me no end.
I know I'm sounding like I'm whining, and I guess I am, but it's the only thing in life I've had honest to god top shelf talent in. To get a taste of operating at that level and then lose it...not fun.

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
Rich, you sound like me and swimming. I was pretty good in high school. We used to average about 12k yards a day in two-a-day workouts. I was a distance freestyler, and could pretty much go forever. Today, I probably couldn't swim 100 yards without dying, and can't even get into a pool to splash around.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Sometimes I run with a few weights in my hands and a jockstrap around the family (intact and guarded); Makes for good conversation and no "pulling-a-baller"

Oh...look, it's me before a run....

Thanks to Brad for saying "Crotch"

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
I used to run a lot way back in high school. Now my back can't take the shock, so I ride a bicycle.

·
45% Member
7,585 Posts
In highschool, I played basketball and while I could make a six minute mile if I worked at it, my "quickness" was lacking. So I was forced, (yes forced) to don these friggin monstrosites.

That's called a Jumpsole. Basically it works the fu(k out of your calves, helps increase quickness and agility and adds to your verticle. They look like a retarded gimmick, but take a run with them on, and after it feels like your legs wiegh nothing at all.

Plus it put 4 inches onto my vertical leap. I could dunk. :) Hell, I could almost stand right under the basket and dunk.

But sh!t those things looked retarded. I looked like a 7 foot alien running down the street. This is why I had Popeye calves for years and years.

Ugh, thanks to SF in the military, 12k miles every other day. Shin splints? Oh if you didn't have em, you weren't trying.

Now I run...3 miles once a week (maaaaaaaybe)
Twelve thousand miles every other day?? :eek:

I'll bet you had shin splints after that. :p

I lol'ed. :lmao:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.