Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys know of anyone who has done an official ironbutt on the SV? For anyone who doesn't know about official ironbutts, that's 1500 miles in 24 hours or less. You must have witnesses along the race to verify when you get to a certain amount of pit stops in order to make sure you actually went the route you said you went. And you must also keep all of your gas reciepts and must make sure each one has the address of the gas station as well as a time stamp. These are required to get your official ironbutt plaque.

What got me thinking of this, is a buddy of mine from work just finished his 5th official ironbutt on his 1978 Kawasaki KZ650 a couple of weeks ago. "Nadine" as he affectionately refers to the bike has over 300,000 miles on her. She uses a little oil but still runs great. Quite an amazing bike. His has this big ass fairing on the front that deflects the wind so well he can wear his baseball cap forwards going down the highway at 70+ miles per hour.

I was thinking about doing an official ironbutt with him next year and he's going for his 6th one as well. Then later we're talking about riding from oklahoma to california for the motoGP races. I'm not sure how far that is but he says it will qualify for the next step up from ironbutt which is called golden bunghole (not really, but it's golden something or other). Anyhow, I'm skeptical even about the ironbutt. In one day, the farthest I've ridden so far is 550 miles, and that's a far cry from 1500 in 24 hours. I held up pretty well through it, though. But I think 1000 is about the max I could do in 1 day, that is without maybe getting in really good shape and doing plenty of conditioning runs between now and then. 1000 miles in a day right now would be a serious stretch, though. I think I'd be just about zonked after 750 miles.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Randy O has done at least 1. I could've sworn an Iron Butt was 1000, but they have em at all sorts of increments with names so I dun really know. I'm not interested in that kind of riding, personally.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am pretty sure the Ironbutt is 1000 miles. I have done more than that in 24 hours, but left at midnight and wasn't organized enough to get the paperwork. It certainly can be done, and I am sure there are multiple people on this site that have done it.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
theres a bunch of different classes, my buddies and i were gonna do it but then i rode oneday for like 4 hours and was like "ugh fuk riding for 15 hours"

goto the site, it will tell you who did it on what bike and which class they did

·
Registered
400 Posts
What about the actual Ironbutt Rally...11,000 miles in 11 days, with national maps, bonus locations listed daily...you know, the Cannonball Run for the distance junkies.

I know of a juy who has done the full 11-day rally on a Ninja250...how about our trusty 650? Anyone know of anyone?

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
saddlesore 1k is minimum IBA ride, I've done both SS1k and bunburner 1500,

bb1500 is 36 hours, b1500 grand is 1500 in 24

you don't just do the Ironbutt rally, you need to qualifyto get an entry

several SVers have done the SS1k

·
Registered
935 Posts
The guy that cut my dads logs for his log house does the 11k every year on a big old BMW something or another but that 1500 sounds intreaguing. I did 1200 in 2 days, although its not 24 hrs im perty sure that 1500 in 24 hrs is dooable without too much puss achin on the sv

G

·
I did 2000 miles in 48 hours twice about four months ago. From Los Angeles to Madison, WI in under 48 hours. It was pretty nasty to say the lest.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
That Guy said:
The guy that cut my dads logs for his log house does the 11k every year on a big old BMW something or another but that 1500 sounds intreaguing.  I did 1200 in 2 days, although its not 24 hrs im perty sure that 1500 in 24 hrs is dooable without too much puss achin on the sv
the 11day/11k Ironbutt Rally is held every other year, in off years they hold a "Buttlite" 7day/7k rally

1500/24 on any bike is tough

a steady 75mph pace after stops yields about 1000 miles in 19-20 hours

·
Registered
935 Posts
yeah so i was a lil mis informed and talkin from my keister, sorry peeps. Knew it was something like that

·
Registered
96 Posts
I read an article written by this guy who took a Kawasaki touring around Lake Michigan (1000 miles) in 24 hours, and a guy that went with him had a copper SV. There were pictures, and it detailed where they stopped, and how many miles between stops and other stuff about the trip. If I can find it again, I will post the link...

.... disregard. can't find it

·
Registered
935 Posts
Thats it, im doin lake Michigan on my copper next year, and my buddy on the 954!

·
Registered
197 Posts
I went from college station, tx to silverton, CO in one day on my 750 (during 4th of july week)... that is 1,054 mi according to google maps. I learned to shift positions while riding, but it went just fine. My ass was a little sore, but honestly it felt just fine after getting off the bike for 15 min.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I don't know of any personally, but I've heard about a guy who did on a RC51. Now that's got to be uncomfortable!

·
Registered
935 Posts
Probably really uncomfortable. Although im like 6'3''+ and i make the sv look like a hobby horse, well I make most of the bikes I ride look like that , cept for the busa and some 1ks's

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
Id be up for the 1500 in 24 if I had the time and money for gas.......
Although the 8 hrs I rode straight on the blue ridge parkway was pretty grueling.

Woody

·
Registered
313 Posts
I did a solo saddlesore 1k this past summer, got starting witness and finish witness as well as reciepts from gas stations proving my route, even with construction and some poor weather i made it in less than 18? hours (i'll check after i get off work) all of which on my SV. It isn't difficult at all to get witnesses or reciepts, don't know about the authenticating process since after a rough trip back from my vacation i never bothered sending it in ::) Which the more i think of it i really don't mind not having done so, the trip was worth the adventure in itself.

I remember miles 300-500 being the hardest after that it didn't seem to matter - as i could no longer feel my butt.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts