Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm stuck in a bad position. Next trackday is in Nov, but I need new tires soon. I was thinking Michelin Pilot Powers, but I'm afraid that they might be too worn to pass tech by then.

So, what does anybody think of using Metz Z6's? Anybody tried?

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
I crashed :) They're by no means bad but I simply overrode the straight line braking capabilities after 50 laps or so. hands up, I was pushing too hard, but I'm too used to the Roadtecs doing exactly what I want. I'll not take them back to the track, since I know they're the limiting factor in my setup. I'm very definately beginner or intermediate (depending on the track) though so if you expect to be hanging with the big boys, I very much doubt they'll do you.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm, that's a bummer. The track I'm going to be on has very limited braking (almost no major straight line braking) as it is small, and all curves. I tend to push pretty hard, but I'm still in the white group. Were you getting your knee down and if so, were the tires pretty stable on entry/mid corner? That's my big fear. I can feel my current (really old-10000miles) front slide on hard entries and would really hate to have that happen at the track.

I just hate the idea of having a limiting factor on the bike, but I don't want to buy touring tires and then also buy (and pay to mount, remount) track tires.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I did a track day on them. I didn't like it too much. Stability was excellent - but in terms of ultimate grip... I'm sure there's tyres out there that are much better.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I've done my first 3 track days on them this summer, but as a track newbie probably can't tell you anything meaningful. Would you settle for a pic?

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm, I'll be on my 3rd day also. I don't care as much about ultimate grip; the way I see it, my lean angles will be limited by my stock rearsets (I got a new shock coming, but can't afford rearsets this year). Either way, I suspect that if the front doesn't slide going in, I'll be OK. I actually would love to learn to slide the rear on the exit.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Patriot at VIR. I want to do the North course, but my buddy has a KTM supermoto and would be better off on the little course.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have done 2 trackdays on my Roadtechs since last October. One at Firebird West and one at Streets of Willow. I had a great time and felt they provided good breaking and cornering feedback. While they were not quite up to the super corsas and rennsports I have raced on in the past, they did work very well for track day conditions. Also, they are great on the street and looks like I will get well over 10K mi out of them!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts