Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd really appreciate it if someone took the time to do this, I would because hearing protection is very important and one of the undervalued/overlooked areas of safety.

:eek:ccasion14:

·
Safety Adviser
879 Posts
Hearing protection. use protection or loose your hearing.

Does that help? LOL

Good Idea Frick, I would but I am teaching a lot now.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
- Don't use cheap generic style earplugs from CVS or whatever. The are really hard to roll up and insert and they probably won't be as comfortable as something fitted better for your ears.
- I ordered this assortment pack of earplugs. I highly recommend this to find what works best for you. There is a huge variety in available earplugs. The website also has a wider selection of different types and review. http://www.earplugstore.com/unfoamtrialp.html
- Make sure you fit them correctly, or else it will feel like you have them in but you can get a lot of noise entering and sometimes high pitched whistles or ticking sounds from vibrations.
- Always wear the earplugs while riding.

·
Registered
575 Posts
More hearing protection is better. Cheap foam plugs are as good as anything else; just make sure they are rated for max protection (about 32db NRR). More expensive molded plugs may be more comfortable for some, but they may not offer any more protection, and in some cases much less if they don't seal perfectly.

source: I'm an ear doctor.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the reminder. I recall reading about this when I first started riding, but it hasn't entered my mind since. Two "highest NRR" trial packs ordered; thanks for the link foca.

·
Registered
121 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Cheap foam plugs are as good as anything else; just make sure they are rated for max protection (about 32db NRR)....source: I'm an ear doctor.
Sorry no mean to disrespect, but the cheap foam ones from CVS that I tried, along with the cheapo varieties from the sample pack, performed terribly. Many people report the same thing. That being said, the best foam alternatives are still relatively cheap, just skip the really generic ones.

The baddies could work ok for sleeping, or maybe some light construction work, but on the bike it was like mating with a mongolian camel, if they even exist.

The bad ones can suck in these ways:
- expand too fast and are hard to get a good fit since they are expanding past the size of your canal before you can insert them
- hurt esp after an hour or so from being too big for ear.
- stick out too far from ear and hit helmet or loved ones
- not sit well for above reasons and cause excess noise and ringing even hours after riding

I went crazy with the cheap ass cvs ones and after the trial pack I found a few different types that fit and it's just night and day.

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
My first pair of hearing aids this year. Finally broke down and bought some.

A little over five grand ... only going to last about five years ... even with them in, it still is not like real hearing and these are decent quality.

Oh, insurance does not pay a dime ... all out of pocket.

Prevention is cheaper and better.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Sorry no mean to disrespect, but the cheap foam ones from CVS that I tried, along with the cheapo varieties from the sample pack, performed terribly.
I can't speak to that brand. Try hearos or mack brand.

99% of issues with foam ear plugs is improper use. Most people don't get deep enough insertion. If they are very uncomfortable with proper use, try a softer brand or a smaller diameter plug.

·
Registered
123 Posts

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
I had them done at MotoMarket, actually. I don't know if I would have done it correctly myself. They insert a foam stopper into your ear canal deeper than I would have on my own.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
- Don't use cheap generic style earplugs from CVS or whatever. The are really hard to roll up and insert and they probably won't be as comfortable as something fitted better for your ears.
Cheap ones work fine as long as you wear them properly.

·
Registered
51 Posts
And to wear them properly, I've been told to use your right arm over your head and pull up on your left ear to put the rolled up ear plug in and vice versa for right ear. Seems to work good for me, get pretty deep insertion, the ear plugs I use sit about flush with my ear so they don't stick out and get pulled by the helmet. Just thought I would share my $.02 in case someone was wondering what the "proper way" is.

Sent from my DROIDX using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
322 Posts
Maybe I just have small ear canals. I couldn't get the cheap cvs ones to fit consistently following the correct steps. I kept having to pull over with clicking sounds from them not being fitted right - they just expanded too fast for me to get them in properly.

The Moldex 6800, Earsoft yellows, or Howard Leight Maxlights rolled up tighter, expanded slower, and didn't hurt as much after 4+ hours.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
The skin toned Hearos are all I use. Have ridden 500 miles non stop in them. It's a personal fit issue, so try everything and use what works for you. But don't say they're all terrible, because they all aren't the same.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I try telling people that don't wear them, to do it. None listen, so I gave up.

But I really like these Laser Lite Earplugs. Out of the trial pack, I found I liked these the most.

I think when I first started riding I tried this exact pack back in 2009. $15 for a bunch of trial earplugs isn't a bad deal at all, considering you can re-use each earplug for up to a week (depending on your ear hygiene, ymmv haha)

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
I got to ride a little bit today with those insta-mold earplugs. They do a great job of blocking the wind buffetting noise and they stay in place when I put my helmet on and then have to push the tops of my ears back up.

They are easy to clean with soap and water or a little rubbing alcohol, so as long as I don't lose them, they should basically last forever.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
I try telling people that don't wear them, to do it. None listen....
Maybe you're too late?

:ears: Huh?

I recently switched to the Nexcare Ear Plugs Comfort Foam.

I have one ear canal larger than the other, so I usually find that most ear plugs are either too tight in one ear, or too lose in the other. Because the Nexcare are tapered in sections, they fit both of my ears, perfectly. This also makes them easy to insert. They are also very soft and comfortable, and, they work.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts