Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking around for an "almost new" naked SV650. All dependent upon what the tax guy has to say this week, but I think I can do this for cash. A couple of interesting things happened last night -

1) The wife says I can buy a bike "whenever I want." Not even an annoyed "whenever I want."
2) OTD in Denver (about three blocks from my house) lists a 2008 with 1,600 miles, gel seat and carbon M4 for $5,800 all tax, fees, etc. included.

I'm curious if anyone has bought a used bike from these guys and if there is any room to negotiate on the price. If it was $5,300 instead of $5,800 I would probably buy the bike in the next few days. Any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bumping for the evening crowd.

Does anyone have any direct experience buying used from OTD and know if there is room to negotiate from the advertised price? It sounds like they will do right around MSRP or even a little less on new bikes, but with all the fees and taxes included, so this bike would have cost me ~ $6k (all in) from these guys new. So it really seems to me they should be able to do $5k pretty easily used with 1,600 miles. But I have seen a couple of references to a no-haggle policy and am not sure if that's the case, or if that is just on new bikes, etc.

The other part of my decision is the convenience factor. I've been talking to dealers and private parties out of state, talking to shipping companies, thinking about the logistics, should I buy sight-unseen, etc. I live 4 blocks from OTD. I love the color and it's the last year produced. I would sorta prefer bone stock, but the mods (M4, gel seat, fender delete) are ones I'm basically ok with. I'm not rich, but in reality $1,000 one way or the other isn't a huge deal for me. Still I don't want to be a sucker.

So back to the original question - does anyone have any direct experience buying used from them. PM me if you prefer. Thanks.

·
Chief Greeter
28,482 Posts
When it came time to buy my bike I called around to see who had the best price, and OTD was the one.

Since the bike you're looking at is used, you should be able to negotiate for a better price. Good luck!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Is this 08 an ABS or regular naked? Let's look @ some figures:

Kelly Blue Book lists a regular 08 SV650 in excellent condition with low miles @ $4820. Throw in another $500 for the slip on & seat, and you're looking @ around $5300. Throw in your tax, title, blah, blah, blah, and yeah, you're right around $5800 out the door.

If you compare apples to apples, most dealers list the price, minus the taxes, etc ... so really you're looking @ $5300. KBB states that an 08 can have up to 3700 miles for that quoted price above, so you're doing good @ 1600.

I would seriously consider the bike, especially since it's probably the only one in the state ;D You're right, I don't think they haggle, but it doesn't hurt to try.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, I'm seriously considering. Was just out in the garage with a tape measure trying to figure how to fit my car and the bike in my garage. It could very well be in there tomorrow. Frankly it was your post about the deal they gave you new that makes me think it should be a little cheaper. Do you typically pay for mods buying a used bike? That doesn't seem to be the case with cars, but I have no experience buying bikes.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Oh, I'm seriously considering. Was just out in the garage with a tape measure trying to figure how to fit my car and the bike in my garage. It could very well be in there tomorrow. Frankly it was your post about the deal they gave you new that makes me think it should be a little cheaper. Do you typically pay for mods buying a used bike? That doesn't seem to be the case with cars, but I have no experience buying bikes.
Usually no ... I would say that you don't usually pay for mods ... however, this bike is practically brand new, so I don't know if they are saying "hey, there's no wear and tear on the mods". I would still try and haggle, worse that they can say is $5800, take it or leave it.
I feel pretty lucky to have gotten the deal from them that I did. Jake was a good guy to work with. I think that I got the last/only new Thunder Gray ABS in the state ;D

Thing that sucks is that yours already comes with a mod that I want to do (M4 slip-on) ;) I know the feeling of measuring the garage to make sure that it'll fit ... I did that at least a dozen times before I got mine ;D Hope that everything works out for you Cennis, and that beauty is in your garage by tomorrow evening!

·
Registered
22 Posts
cash talks,i have allways talked a dealer down 3 or 400$ if you have cash in hand.i usually go in and ask what the bottom dollar is right now cash money and see what they say.

·
Registered
117 Posts
cash talks,i have allways talked a dealer down 3 or 400$ if you have cash in hand.i usually go in and ask what the bottom dollar is right now cash money and see what they say.
Good suggestion! I did go to the dealer with cash ... don't know if it had anything to do with it, but they definitely take you more seriously when you "show them the money". :)

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
On new bikes, OTD is KING! At least here in California you will not beat there deals, just doin't go there without knowing exactly what you want. If you do your homework, it's likely you'll know more about the bike than the sales rep. That said, I've never bought used from them. It would appear to be a pretty good deal, though. I'd take the approach of "Cash in Hand" as well and see what that gets you. Be prepared to walk though. Gotta give the sales guy full effect!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts