Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cousin is in the market for his first bike, and found a Buell Blast he's interested in. From what he said, it's a 2002 purchased new in 03. It's got 2900 miles on it, and the guy is asking $2500. I know almost nothing about these things, but am going to start searching for info on the net. Just though I'd ask the pros here first.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
Average retail is right at $2500. That's no 'deal' - just a fair price.

Frankly, Blasts are anything but. I'd steer him to a used 500 or even a new 250 Ninja ($3,000 NEW).

I believe even the Ninja will run and hide from that abortion of a bike.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
i'm far from a pro but.... stay clear of that bike. i've ridden it, i've had 2 freinds that had em. i can't say enough bad things about that bike.... definetly look at the smaller (250 - 500cc) ninjas. we've had 7 in my circle of freinds and they all loved them and became better riders by starting out on them. but... i am still relatively new to all this.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Blasts

I also considered a Blast as my first bike, and the major thing that turned me away from them was size. I'm 6'3'', and sitting on that thing I felt like my knees could touch the ground. The SV is a good bike for my height. So if your friend has long legs DO NOT get a Blast. A Suzuki GS500 might be a good choice. Like a late 90s or early 2000 model. They have lots of aftermarket parts for those and it has a real world seat height.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
the ONLY thng the blast has going for it is a low heat height, other than that, it's not only an underpowered slug, it's relativly heavy for the category it's in.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Hey Slave, put him on a SV! :twisted:

We can find him one and under expert guidance he'll be riding the gap with us next year. :wink:

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
WeezerKDI said:
Hey Slave, put him on a SV! :twisted:

We can find him one and under expert guidance he'll be riding the gap with us next year. :wink:
Finding one in his price range is challenging to say the least. Even wrecked ones are fetching pretty good $$$. My younger brother is in the want for a bike too, but he's in the same boat. Maybe a little worse, since he's in college.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I looked at the Blast while at the Harley Dealership(don't tell anyone!) and it just looked like a silly little toy bike, with tiny toy wheels, and childish toy paint.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
So I'd say that the Buell Blast is the most perfect creation and damn near the benchmark for bikes to do your MSF class on. Other then that a scooter would have more power and be more fun on the street.

·
Registered
745 Posts
There's a guy selling one in GA on here right now for 2k obo. That might be in his price range. It has a Gixxer tail and some other goodies. I will even donate some of old parts if he wants to trick it out a lil. :wink:

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
WeezerKDI said:
There's a guy selling one in GA on here right now for 2k obo. That might be in his price range. It has a Gixxer tail and some other goodies. I will even donate some of old parts if he wants to trick it out a lil. :wink:
Yeah, but who's gonna go get it ?? Georgia is like 14 hrs from here. It would cost at least $400 just to get down there and back in the truck, not to mention that I would have to haul mine down there and ride the Gap at least once. Which I would probably crash in spectacular fashion since that's how my luck has been going. So then I'd be out 2-3 days vacation, $4-500 cash, a busted up bike, and a busted up 'slave !! You gotta think these things through Kev. :wink:

·
Registered
745 Posts
I am just one state over, I could help. I know it's a long trip, but I could go get the bike and trailer it up to Deals Gap, with mine, just to keep it company. You meet me there, we'll ride the gap a few times, you know, just to check the bike out thoroughly. :wink: Then we'll load it on your trailer and you take it home. Sound good?

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
While that would be cool as heeeeeeeelllllllll, I'm afraid a road trip like that just isn't in the cards. I'm gonna send him the link just in case tho. :wink:

·
King of D'bags
3,579 Posts
Blast motors are basically half of an 883 Sportster motor. Which, as we all know, is a technological tour de farce. Er, force.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
arimichael said:
Blast motors are basically half of an 883 Sportster motor. Which, as we all know, is a technological tour de farce. Er, force.
but it's more than half, it's got a complete crank & transmission, just missing 1 cylinder

·
King of D'bags
3,579 Posts
Nitpicker. :p

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
arimichael said:
Nitpicker. :p
I only pointed it out, cause I think it's the real problem with the bike, it has to add 75 pounds of unnecessary weight. isn't it pretty much the same crank & transmission you see on all hardleys, I know all you have to do to turn a 883 sporty into a 1200, is change jugs

the blast weighs in almost identical to the SV, I think if it were 75 pounds lighter, it might be a much better bike.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts