Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have....used to have one and found a good deal on a used '03 with 580 miles bought as a leftover by some guy from a dealer 2 months ago. Dunno why I'm like this but I'd have to sell the SV to have another one. My naked SV has a more comfortable riding position and I just got back from riding it 90+ mph...what more do I need? I cranked to 110 yesterday. It doesn't have the insane pull the XX does at that speed.....jeez why can't I just be happy!

Somebody please talk me out of it! I just put a full exhaust and pcIII on my SV fer cryin' out loud!

·
Registered
419 Posts
I don't have the Blackbird, but I do have a ZZR1200. Similar bike. If I had to toss one of the two the SV would probably be the keeper.

The SV is just as comfortable, and it's definitely more fun to ride under 75 mph. If you ride well into the triple digits (which I don't) or you spend 90% of your time on the freeway or do mostly long distance touring, then a big sport tourer is the way to go. But personally, the SV puts a bigger smile on my face for the type of riding I do.

'Course I like to have both. Buy used, keep your driving record clean, and you might be surprised how many bikes you can fit in your garage (and wallet).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Randy I would think a naked SV would be more comfortable than a ZZR1200 which is pretty aggressive ergowise. Do you have an S? Regardless you make good points. The SV is a blast on the back roads....I like it on the highway too. :D

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
The bf had one and wadded it up in the mountains before I had a chance to try it out. :( It looked like a boat w/the full Givi luggage setup he had on it.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
Dude - the Blackbird is a Mack Truck in corners compared to the SV.

If big sweepers, high speed and longer distances are your thing - then it may be a fit.

If not, and tighter twisties are your thing - damn little beats the SV.

·
Registered
419 Posts
BarryG, comfort comparisons between a big sport-tourer like the Blackbird or a ZZR1200 and the naked SV (which is what I have) are pretty interesting. I said they are comparable because they each have different strengths.

For instance, I like the ergos of the naked SV better than the ZZR. But I like the winscreen and fairing of the ZZR better than the naked SV for long distance at higher speeds. Fpr that matter, I like the 150 lbs of additional weight of the big sport-tourer as well. It helps with the crosswinds that I regularly deal with in the desert.

The two bikes are just very different rides. That's why I think they make great complimentary tools. I hear that the new Blackbirds that are still around in dealer warehouses can be had for very good deals, though they may be getting scarce by now. Either way, I would not give up my SV for a big sport-tourer based on my riding needs. Though I sure like having the ZZR in the garage. The Nevada-Utah-Arizona area in which I ride lends itself to the big sport-tourer machines. But if I'm going less than an hour I always take my SV. Got a KLR for dirt roads.

If you can swing it, pick up the 'bird and keep the SV. Check into insuring an additional bike. I think my ZZR only added a couple hundred bucks to my annual premium without collision.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Randy S said:
If you can swing it, pick up the 'bird and keep the SV. Check into insuring an additional bike. I think my ZZR only added a couple hundred bucks to my annual premium without collision.
I could probably swing that but that would be THREE bikes in the garage. For me my Wing is what I take for rides over an hour....it's sorta my "big" sport tourer. Talk about different rides....the Wing and the SV.

When I had the XX, I couldn't ride it for "sport touring" or longer rides...back of my neck and shoulders would get too sore even with helibars but I only rode it about 3K miles. It was like a big fast sportbike that I felt handled great. But I'm not into having 3 bikes to deal with. The Wing stays simply b/c of the comfort/bad weather riding/storage. The XX would have to replace the SV if anything and don't know if I'm ready to do that.......I'd miss the lil' SV that could. :( Ok, I'll just get 3 bikes...hey I don' t own a car :D

M

·
0 Posts
I love the XX, especially the FI version - whoo hooooo fun bike to ride! It's also a matter of I4 vs VTwin... IMHO if you are getting a really fantastic deal, grab it!!

I rode one (and an anniversary Edition Hayabusa) this past Bike Week in Daytona... here's a shot my buddy took - forgot to use the flash but it came out kinda cool...

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
I've never had the pleasure myself but one of my instructors described his old one as the best bike he'd ever ridden... And he's had everything from a 7/11 Gixxer to a 916.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
ride_naked said:
The bf had one and wadded it up in the mountains before I had a chance to try it out. :( It looked like a boat w/the full Givi luggage setup he had on it.

You had to show that one?!? You couldn't have shown the ones with the luggage? hehehe ;)

I already messaged him on the CBRXXOA board, where I think my comments fell on deaf ears...

PS. GEAR WORKS!! I WALKED AWAY FROM THAT...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I did it, sold my SV for and got an '02 cbr1100xx in mint condition w/1600 mi. Loved the SV but missed the incredible smoothness, fantastic brakes, insane power, and more stable feeling the XX has....but the SV was a great bike...I'd a kept it for sure if I didn't already have another bike.
Ride safe.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
That color doesn't do it for me but I'm still thinking about one of those. It's funny to know they "only" make about 130HP and are total rockets while the latest crop of superbikes (Busa, ZX14) are nearly 200HP.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts