Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was riding the other day and stopped for refreshments at Alice's resteraunt, and ended up parking next to another '05 650s and when talking about our bikes the other rider suddenly was like, "it's happening to you too!" And sure enough she pointed out two spots right above the indicator arrows on the gauge cluster, where the plastic is deforming, hers was a lot more severe then mine but definetly noticeable. Is there a recall I missed or has anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
397 Posts
i'm pretty sure you have a short somewhere on your guage's electronics board, maybe one of the light bulbs are shorting out and putting too much heat out...take your guage apart and check to see where the burn is then investigate further...

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've heard of this happening but it's the first Ive heard it happening to the 2nd gens. As I recall it was only happening to people with the stock windscreen too. I have a tinited ZG double bubble and haven't had any problems.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Above the blinker inticator arrows??? is this problem coinsidental to those riders that forget to cancel their turn signals for miles on end ? just a thought

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
No... do a search here. I remember reading on here a while back where several people with '03+ bikes were having this problem. As the thread progressed, it became obvious that it was only happening to SVS owners - no nakeds. Then someone either realized (or found some info in another forum and linked it... can't remember) - that the problem is if you park your bike out in the sun, and the sun shines through the stock windscreen in just the right spot at just the right angle, the windscreen can act like a magnifying glass and focus sunlight onto the gauge cluster and melt spots on it. Kinda cheesy, huh? If it's bad enough and your bike is still under warranty, maybe Suzuki will do something about it. Worth a shot. I guess the immediate fix is to toss something over the windscreen/gauges when you park in the sun.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
it happened to mine too... its happened to a lot of the new bikes

·
Registered
166 Posts
mine did it too, and my friends '03 ninja also did it. We just painted the back side of the stock windshield and it hasn't got any worse. I hardly ever let my bike sit outside for long periods at a time, and it did it when the windshield was clear. The dealership said there made like that, but the new on the showroom floor was smooth. They wouldn't do anything since it is cosmetic!! ??? :-\

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Poe said:
No... do a search here.  I remember reading on here a while back where several people with '03+ bikes were having this problem.  As the thread progressed, it became obvious that it was only happening to SVS owners - no nakeds.  Then someone either realized (or found some info in another forum and linked it... can't remember) - that the problem is if you park your bike out in the sun, and the sun shines through the stock windscreen in just the right spot at just the right angle, the windscreen can act like a magnifying glass and focus sunlight onto the gauge cluster and melt spots on it.  Kinda cheesy, huh?  If it's bad enough and your bike is still under warranty, maybe Suzuki will do something about it.  Worth a shot.  I guess the immediate fix is to toss something over the windscreen/gauges when you park in the sun.
Poe hit the nail on the head. It happens to 2nd gen SVS's only. It's from parking in the hot sun with a stock windscreen. If the angle is right it acts like a magnifying glass. I actually was lucky enough to catch mine right in the act of melting. switched to a tinted screen, problem gone.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I got a melt spot too. Ha I thought I was special

·
Registered
153 Posts
Wow I thought I was the only one. I have a new 03 model and have 2 of those marks. They happened when my d.b. broke in a crash and I put the stock screen on. Then parking it at work the 2 marks showed up. At least now I know what cause them.
My question is, is that coverd under the factory warrenty, since it is a stock screen?

·
Registered
22 Posts
same thing on my 04 gsxr 1000.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well if it is the whole sun and stock screen scenario then I'm really happy that my ZG double bubble gets here on tuesday. I feel sorry for that poor rider who pointed it out to me, hers was getting to be bad, luckily I caught mine before it got too serious.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
lemme see some photos :eek:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Mine never gets parked in the sun except for stopping during a ride. I have a few spots on my guages that are melted as well. (stock screen BTW)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Painting or replacing with a tinted one will really help with seeing the gauges, too. I know sometimes before I painted mine, I couldn't see the speedo in certain light or the glare from them were overwheming when the sun hits it!! 8)

·
Registered
84 Posts
shekshishekki said:
i'm pretty sure you have a short somewhere on your guage's electronics board, maybe one of the light bulbs are shorting out and putting too much heat out...take your guage apart and check to see where the burn is then investigate further...
you don't have a clue about electronics, do you? ::)

·
Registered
270 Posts
I've seen this same complaint on some CBR boards (mostly 929 and 954). None that I can remember were from the stock screen all aftermarket double bubble tinted screens. Apparently with the sun on the bike's six o'clock the screen acts like a magnifying glass. It's not just a Suzuki thing. :-\

1 - 20 of 20 Posts