Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mom has a Virago 750 Cruiser right now. Getting old though its a 96 and she is looking at buying a new bike. She likes my SV but sits a bit too high for her, (doesnt help my suspension is on the stiffest settings). She is like 5'6". How do the women Gladius owners like theirs?

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
At 5'6" she's like a giant! I don't have a currently unavailable Gladius, but I have an 05' SV and love it. She should be able to find a stock height, with a low seat that she should be able to handle very easily.

btw, my 05' was originally my son's.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh yea, well maby, I thought you could already get a gladius? Since they have already on Suzuki's website for a while now. Yea, and im 6'4 so yea my bike is set up for my height, thus being a bit tall for her. She likes the styling of the gladius a little better than the SV. But yea, didn't realize that they hadn't quite hit the market yet.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Well I hope to test ride one next week if they are in Daytona!!!

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Yep you can count on me!! I so want to be the first to ride one!!

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Sad update. Gladius were not available for test rides up in Daytona.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea that does suck... Well if anybody gets the chance in the future to ride on or atleast sit on one, post it up on here how it is! thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,654 Posts
sitting on one at the minnisota show, they felt quite a bit shorter than the sv (but i'm 6'2) the seat also was quite nice. I think the egro's should work well for shorter people.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, too many balls on 1 bike but how was it?

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Ok, too many balls on 1 bike but how was it?
It was a motorcycle.......just like a second gen with a one piece seat. Gauge cluster was cool looking.....plastic bits and HUGE rear sets look like crap....other then that....it was a motorcycle.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alrighty then, Be interesting to see how it rides, they tuned it down to 66HP from the 2nd gens 78.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Alrighty then, Be interesting to see how it rides, they tuned it down to 66HP from the 2nd gens 78.
HP is not the important number....torque is. I believe that the torque numbers are very close between both bikes. Even if the Glad has slightly lower numbers....so what....the SV has more then enough power so a bike with a fraction less power surely will not be disappointing to ride. You'll have to do the same suspension upgrades to it as you do to the SV and it should then prove to be just as much fun to ride as the SV......you'll just attract a different crowd when you stop....... a slightly more :gay: crowd! :D

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
People that say HP is unimportant and torque is all that matters either fail at the dynamics involved or prefer driving tractors to sports cars.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
It will still be faster to 100mph then all but the top 6 cars on the Top Gear track time board. Isn't that fast enough for most people??

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
You do realize that 12 hp is a lot of hp on a bike? What is good enough doesn't mean it's good. 9.96 seconds, 0-100mph is what 78 HP nets a 2nd gen SV. What does 12 hp cost you? More than it should. The gladius should have been a progression of the SV. Not a step back.

I haven't actually seen that 66hp figure marked anywhere. If it's validated I'd like to see it. I have seen gladius dynos and they place wheel power anywhere from being within 1-2 hp of a second gen or being 8-10hp down on a second gen sv. Unless someone can find an SV run on a fuch dyno so we can have a closer approximation.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
HP is not the important number....torque is. I believe that the torque numbers are very close between both bikes.
People that say HP is unimportant and torque is all that matters either fail at the dynamics involved or prefer driving tractors to sports cars.
Having a hard time with comprehension today?
Please re-read what I wrote......I didn't say that HP is "unimportant" nor did I say that "torque is all that matters". What I said is that torque is the more important number....a far cry from HP being "unimportant" and torque being the only thing that matters.
Since we are not talking about "tractors or sports cars" but V-twin powered Suzuki motorcycles which by the nature of their design have a very wide torque band....which is the driving characteristic behind the SV650.
It has the ability to pull hard from down low in the RPM range to above 6,000 RPM, which makes the torque figures of the engine the more important number of the 2.
For the record....I ride a SV because it's a "sports car" that pulls like a "tractor".....;D

1 - 20 of 179 Posts