Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new rider, bought my 03' SVS from a poster on these boards, it's currently being shipped from Alaska. I have two friends who ride SVs so I'm sure they'll help me out, but I was wondering, besides the MSF courses (which I'll be taking the 14/15th) is there any books or videos I can watch improve my riding? I have all of 2 hours behind a bike and want to be as safe and prepared for anything the road can throw at me.

Also if you have any good tips for new riders I'd love to hear them. Also if anyone is curious here is all the safety/riding gear I've bought so far

Alpinestars GPS 3
Waterproof Boots

Joe Rocket
Hard Drive Gloves

Tour Master Robo-Max Carbon Gloves
Alpinestars TZ-1 Leather Jacket
Joe Rocket Rio Jacket
JOE ROCKET BALLISTIC 5.0 PANTS
Scorpion Exo-700 Dark Silver

Just need to get a replacment back protector for the TZ-1 once I actually get it in the mail.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Nick Inesach (sp?) book called "Sport Riding Techniques" is great

·
Registered
203 Posts
"proficient motorcycling" by david l. hough. Get nates frame sliders while they are on sale!!!

·
Eagle one
1,660 Posts
Storz said:
Nick Inesach (sp?) book called "Sport Riding Techniques" is great
+1

·
Registered
88 Posts
Proficient motorcycling and more proficient motorcycling by David hough,ride hard,ride smart by pat Hahn,total control by lee parks.Ride hard ride smart gives great examples in staying safe,the books by David hough pretty much cover everything and is well written and very understandable,the lee parks book is more technical instructions but does cover the essentials and does have great instructional photo's,enjoy and ride safe.

·
Registered
5,382 Posts
I'll second the votes for "Proficient Motorcycling", it's easily the best book for a newbie IMO.
When you're new, you're learning 2 different sets of skills at once. The first is the basics of riding a bike, steering, stopping, braking, shifting, the raw mechanics of getting a bike down the road. The second is riding a bike in traffic, with is different and more complicated than driving a car. It's a lot to be figuring out all once. Sooo, the best advice I can give is to try to separate out the 2 as much as possible, try to stay in simple, low traffic situations as much as possible until you're completely comfortable controlling the bike.
Also be very careful riding with your buddies, it's very easy to get sucked into riding over you head.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts