Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never been a user of coupons, aside from those attached to what I buy or if they're hanging near the item on the shelf. I tend to do my grocery shopping at Sam's or Wal Mart (yeah, yeah, I'm aiding and abetting the Evil Empire, I know). I don't often buy name-brand; substituting with store brands when possible, as they're typically less expensive.

I'm looking to start using coupons to save more money (which can be done, if you pay attention to the shows on TLC and the like). Without becoming white trash and getting addicted to that style of fake-ality show, can you guys offer up any advice?

Let the jokes begin.

·
Premium Member
2,566 Posts
My girlfriend uses coupons. Sometimes I think she is encouraged to buy stuff that she normally wouldn't buy, but she counters that we still eat the stuff she buys with those coupons, so it's not like the money is "wasted."

A highschool friend of mine is a super-couponer, and posts on FB sometimes about how he saved $247 on groceries, and it just makes me feel sad for him. He probably doesn't need my pity and enjoys what he does, so maybe it's me that has the problem.

Alternately, if you take all the "free" groceries you get and donate them to the food shelter, claim market price for them, and take a huge tax deduction then that's pretty cool.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Do you get the Sunday newspaper? Plan your meals around whatever coupons you find that are useful. If there is a coupon for something that you regularly use, stock up.

That's all I can think of and I'm guessing you've already thought of it as well.

·
site supporter
6,051 Posts
can you guys offer up any advice?
1. Stop watching stupid TV shows.
2. Rather than planning your diet around food which manufacturers have to bribe you to eat, find the best places to buy the least processed foods. Farmers' markets are good places to look. I understand that you still need paper peroducts and cleaning supplies, so coupon away. But saving $$ on a can of Pringles or a jar of shelf-stabilzed salad dressing isn't helping yourself or your kids at all.

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh, I hear ya, Jim.

1) I don't really watch TV. There are a couple of shows I watch, and they're either on demand or DVR'd.

2) I did get the Sunday paper for a period to try out clipping, but most of the coupons were for things we didn't use much; we don't eat a lot of junk food and I like to cook, so heat-and-eat foods are rare.

(edit)

WD--Nah, it's not douchey. Jim and I know each other.

·
BANNED!!!
4,805 Posts
1) Make a fist with your dominant hand

2) punch yourself with it.

3) repeat until you forget about htis coupon nonsense.

Oh yeah, a :) because im giving you a hard time.

·
Registered
5,710 Posts
I don't like to be influenced into choice of store or brand, so I let most coupons go by without looking.

On a similar note, a real pet peeve of mine are the stores and their "rewards programs" or cards that give you a discount. I'm not talking the anonymous punch cards for buy 10 and get one free. That's fine for those who want to do that and are regulars. I'm talking the grocery or drug stores that advertise a price on the shelf that is ONLY good if you have their GD Perks card.

First off, I don't want to sign up and get more crap in my mailbox. I also want to keep my wallet to a minimum and so an extra card to shop at a certain store is just not happening for me. I go out of my wat to NOT shop there.

Not only does it flood my mailbox with crap and probably invade my privacy by tracking my shopping habits, but it's also an extra step for the cashier to scan or look up an account to give them their credit, points, etc., holding up the rest of us in line.

Sorry for the rant and threadjack, but I feel better now. :hug:

·
site supporter
6,051 Posts
Thats kind of a douchey response. You don't know what he's buying or feeding his kids.
I know. That's how I roll. You have no idea how hard it was for me to rein in my inner d-bag for all those years when I was a moderator. I'd spend hours at a time like this . . .

because, deep down inside, I HATE ALL YOU A**H*LES!!!!

:-*

·
BANNED!!!
4,805 Posts
I don't like to be influenced into choice of store or brand, so I let most coupons go by without looking.

On a similar note, a real pet peeve of mine are the stores and their "rewards programs" or cards that give you a discount. I'm not talking the anonymous punch cards for buy 10 and get one free. That's fine for those who want to do that and are regulars. I'm talking the grocery or drug stores that advertise a price on the shelf that is ONLY good if you have their GD Perks card.

First off, I don't want to sign up and get more crap in my mailbox. I also want to keep my wallet to a minimum and so an extra card to shop at a certain store is just not happening for me. I go out of my wat to NOT shop there.

Not only does it flood my mailbox with crap and probably invade my privacy by tracking my shopping habits, but it's also an extra step for the cashier to scan or look up an account to give them their credit, points, etc., holding up the rest of us in line.

I hear you, man. What's worse is that now grocery stores, drug stores, and even gas stations offer this crap. Effing annoying, just sell me my iced tea, stfu, so I can get along with my day. :mad:

·
...is no fun!
2,764 Posts

It's all by phone # now so there's nothing else in your wallet. And as long as you don't care about the free stuff you earn, just use xxx-867-5309 or xxx-555-5555 and you'll get the benefit.

You likely won't get to use the gas perks (who wants to save $0.70 a gallon anyway) but it is doable without inconveniencing yourself whatsoever.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I dont coupon but a good way to save money is to create your shopping list ahead of time and then scout on the ads. If you can find enough deals at a store outside your regular store, it is usually worth a trip there. I wouldnt go for one or two things but if they have items I normally buy like meats at a great price, I will go out of my way to go there.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
I grew up with metric **** tons of coupons. I ******* hate having to dig through newspapers, flyers, Valu-pak mailers, etc. I sold those ******* coupon books for school funding, too. And I always felt like an ass for being the one person in a long line for the cashier with 50 items and 50 coupons. We were super poor and had to scrape by, so our diet was largely dictated by what we could buy cheaply. I was underfed and malnourished, and the food was generally processed crap.

When I got older (college), I found it was more efficient to find the grocery store specific specials for that week, either a flyer or news insert (often available only at the store itself) and check out what is on sale. Beware, though, some of that stuff is on special because it's about to go bad so be sure to check expiry dates.

What was even better was finding out that farmer's markets are amazing. The produce is far superior, the "organic" stuff generally much better than the non-organic (picked riper, and usually more variety for heirloom/rarer stuff too), and there's 8 types of local honey, dried fruit, homemade sausages, cheese, etc. And it's really inexpensive! A bag of morel mushrooms for $4, yes please. 10 lemons for a dollar. Bunches of vegetables for a dollar. The most delicious strawberries for a buck a basket--not that horrible Driscoll's garbage.

All that said, I do use some coupons, but only if it's a convenience to me and if it's something I'd actually use. Do I go out of my way to find them? No. Do I throw away the mailers and Valu-pak envelopes? Yes, unless I happen to need a carpet cleaner. Then I check carpet cleaner reviews and see if the better ones coincide with the carpet cleaner coupon.

I also hate the "rewards programs" BS, with the marked-up "normal" prices and then "discount" specials. I find that most things at those stores are more expensive than stores that don't use a rewards program, were I to purchase the same exact items, on special or not. Besides trying to foster brand loyalty, a major reason they do this is for marketing and trending. Even if you use a fake number, it's still linked to YOU. They track the person's buying habits using that number, whether you know it/like it or not.

xxx-867-5309
Hey, stop using my number!

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
I think you can type *******s. I could be wrong.

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
nope can't type as sholes. I was wrong. you can say dick. And penis now too. Can we type vagina?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts