Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched but didn't find much on switching to GP Shift. Anyone have any pics or instructions on how to?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
uhh i am pretty sure it is as easy as putting a dirtbike style shift lever on the end of the shiftrod--(is that what its called??).

technically the linkage is what makes it "backwards"

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
You don't need to put dirtbike anything on the end of anything.

Follow the shirt rod to where it meets the shaft from the transmission. There's a 10mm bolt on the arm Remove this bolt, slide the arm off the shaft then reinstall the arm pointing downwards instead up upwards.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Why do you want to do this? It is not really necessary for the street.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Nothing is necessary, it's all a matter of taste and preference. I've enjoyed GP Shift on my SV for the past 8 months and haven't looked back. In addition for toe clearance when shifting mid-corner, I feel it provides more positive and fluid upshifts.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
+1 its also not always necessary for the track either. there wa an article in a mag recently about this. there are some racers that use normal shift patterns. one of them was matt mladin, sorry i dont remember the others

·
Registered
334 Posts
all personal preference with the main advantage being that grabbing an upshift balls deep in a left turn with standard shifting can be very tough.

·
OberKommandant
6,127 Posts
Why is changing your exhaust necessary? Or your headlight? Do you really need different rear-sets? Or a solo seat cowl? Fender eliminator? Hugger?

Could it be that some people just like it like that?

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Why is changing your exhaust necessary? Or your headlight? Do you really need different rear-sets? Or a solo seat cowl? Fender eliminator? Hugger?

As I am reading this all I can think of is Joe Dirt saying, "why posi traction on a hemi is good?" LOL!!

It is all just a matter of taste though.

·
Registered
969 Posts
all personal preference with the main advantage being that grabbing an upshift balls deep in a left turn with standard shifting can be very tough.

First off, I am almost 6'4'' I don't worry about reach. Second, I am not saying he shouldn't do it, I just wanted to know why he wanted to do this.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
in a left hand turn at full lean and suspension settled, you many not have enuf room to fit your toe between the pavement and the shifter for an upshift

while you may have rare occasion to upshift at full lean, you would never downshift at full lean, switching to gpshift makes upshifting at full lean possible

·
Registered
108 Posts
in a left hand turn at full lean and suspension settled, you many not have enuf room to fit your toe between the pavement and the shifter for an upshift

while you may have rare occasion to upshift at full lean, you would never downshift at full lean, switching to gpshift makes upshifting at full lean possible
+1 simple and easy explanation, thanks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I remember reading somewhere that by flipping the linkage there is a danger of expensive damage in a crash, like if you lowside onto the left side. Sorry for being so vague. Can anyone else add?

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I bet you can find an article that says Rotella oil is bad for motorcycle use.......

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
I remember reading somewhere that by flipping the linkage there is a danger of expensive damage in a crash, like if you lowside onto the left side. Sorry for being so vague. Can anyone else add?
the theory is that the connecting arm on the shift shaft is left unprotected and protrudes away from the bike. this could lead to a bent shift shaft in the event of a crash. Big bucks to split the engine case to fix.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts