Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched through a number of pages in the open forum, and noticed that there did not appear to be any threads on modified vehicles. A large number of you have things done to your bikes, and i would be interested to see what else you have done with your fleet. Not to turn this into a car forum by any means, just post a pick of your current, past, or parted with ride if you fee like it.

I personally have only owned volvo's, more specifically volvo wagons. Ive owned everything from a 71 145 to my current P2 V70, and everything in between. I know it not in anyways many drivers choice :), but i was raise on the brand, and have learned to know these cars inside and out.

Current: The DD
04 2.5T V70 Titanium Edition (1/500)
S60R front bumper, VST CF lower lip
Euro Spec Bi Xenons
F+R 4 Piston Brembos over Slotted Rotors
18" Medusa Wheels
Koni FSDs with Eibach springs
15mm F+R spacers
More sets of wheels than i shoes for my feet
plenty more not worth mentioning.

Sold: The Sleeper :(
98 V70 T5-M
Built motor, transmission, suspension.
Stage III.5
Everything was done on this car, but it became terribly impractical to justify having with 4 cars and a single car garage.

Lets see your rainy weather (more than two wheeled) rides

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
very big dumb
8,901 Posts
i put a trailer hitch on the gti to tow bikes. that's all i have interest in.

previously had some hopped up stuff. an '02 1.8t that ran 13.6 in the quarter, a mazdaspeed6, a lifted titan, a wrx. now that I found bikes, i just don't give a ****

·
Registered
760 Posts
I have a '98 Mustang GT 4.6l SOHC, that I bought as my 18th birthday present to myself as a bone stock car. After throwing a bunch of $$ and parts at it, it was 314 HP @ 5600rpm and 373 ft-lbs at 3200 rpm when I strapped it to a local dyno in august of 2008.

The fun weekend car :)

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
Awesome Volvo's there, OP! I've always liked the boxy look of the Volvo's, I'm kinda saddened that they're adding more curves to their bodies these days.

I've got a 2006 Audi A4 Avant 2.0T, 6 spd, S-Line package w/ Stage 1 and a tow hitch. My car modding days have passed- I add a few light mods and leave it at that. I focused on the bikes for a few years and now, as much as I'd love to dump some more $$ into the car, I just have other things in life that I care to throw money at. A kid on the way doesn't help that situation any.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I have a '98 Mustang GT 4.6l SOHC, that I bought as my 18th birthday present to myself as a bone stock car. After throwing a bunch of $$ and parts at it, it was 314 HP @ 5600rpm and 373 ft-lbs at 3200 rpm when I strapped it to a local dyno in august of 2008.

The fun weekend car :)

That's awesome! I had an 03 GT with a few bolt ons. Wish I had never gotten rid of it. I would have quiet a few upgrades strapped to her by now.

I have an 88 Chevy C1500 that was just in a fender bender. I sourced the replacement parts locally already(front fenders, bumper, grill).

This is my true beater, I've had her two years and bought her from my mothers boss who is a car fanatic. He has done some randomness to my truck, but not nearly as detailed as his shelby 350 or sting ray 'vette(it's a truck for christ sake).

I have 370K miles on her, got her at 342K two years ago. She had a '93 350 Crate motor swapped in at 250K. Transmission rebuilt at 300K (700R).

I put a new rear end in her since the stock one gave out at 350K miles. Got a low mile rear end from a salvage yard with 3.42 gears in pristine condition(had 3 rear ends shipped to the shop before I gave up looking for a Posi was a bit disappointed but the 3.42's do very nice in this truck).

Full tune up on the motor, new shocks, poly engine/trans mounts. Single exhaust with a dump and high flow cat.

My goals with this beater are/were to do all maintenance with the best parts at the lowest prices I could find. She's itching for a paint job, and now with the recent fender bender I am in a debate with myself.

When I bought her, she was getting a measly 12.8 MPG. Since she averages at 16.4 MPG and at best has seen 17.3(HWY) I think for an 88 with the stock smog setup still functioning, that's pretty damn impressive.

A) just put the replacement parts on and primer them only and keep driving.
Get an 06-08 Mustang GT.

B) primer the entire truck, replace the rest of the suspension with poly bushings, firmer shocks, roll pan, complete flat black paint job and black out the front end(black grill, black headlights/turn signals etc). Maybe even lower her, then put long tubes and ditch the smog setup.

Like I said, she's a beater, not really wanting to put money into her, but I do want her to look good and keep her a while longer. Always practical to have a truck handy.

·
Registered
760 Posts
That's awesome! I had an 03 GT with a few bolt ons. Wish I had never gotten rid of it. I would have quiet a few upgrades strapped to her by now.

I have an 88 Chevy C1500 that was just in a fender bender. I sourced the replacement parts locally already(front fenders, bumper, grill).

This is my true beater, I've had her two years and bought her from my mothers boss who is a car fanatic. He has done some randomness to my truck, but not nearly as detailed as his shelby 350 or sting ray 'vette(it's a truck for christ sake).

I have 370K miles on her, got her at 342K two years ago. She had a '93 350 Crate motor swapped in at 250K. Transmission rebuilt at 300K (700R).

I put a new rear end in her since the stock one gave out at 350K miles. Got a low mile rear end from a salvage yard with 3.42 gears in pristine condition(had 3 rear ends shipped to the shop before I gave up looking for a Posi was a bit disappointed but the 3.42's do very nice in this truck).

Full tune up on the motor, new shocks, poly engine/trans mounts. Single exhaust with a dump and high flow cat.

My goals with this beater are/were to do all maintenance with the best parts at the lowest prices I could find. She's itching for a paint job, and now with the recent fender bender I am in a debate with myself.

When I bought her, she was getting a measly 12.8 MPG. Since she averages at 16.4 MPG and at best has seen 17.3(HWY) I think for an 88 with the stock smog setup still functioning, that's pretty damn impressive.

A) just put the replacement parts on and primer them only and keep driving.
Get an 06-08 Mustang GT.

B) primer the entire truck, replace the rest of the suspension with poly bushings, firmer shocks, roll pan, complete flat black paint job and black out the front end(black grill, black headlights/turn signals etc). Maybe even lower her, then put long tubes and ditch the smog setup.

Like I said, she's a beater, not really wanting to put money into her, but I do want her to look good and keep her a while longer. Always practical to have a truck handy.
Holy crap OrangeBlood!! I worked my arse off to get my old '96 Taurus (high school car) past the 200k mark, you are my hero.

Why an 06-08? '12+ for the coyote motor.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Can't afford the new 5.0 :(

I do everything on a budget lol. I mentioned somewhere before how cheap I am. When I bought my 03GT I got her for $12,000 with 35K miles. Had every factory option other than the Mach1000 Audio setup(was fine by me).

I've found a lot of 05-06 model GT's in my area for sale by owners for around $12,000-15,000. That's right in my price range, if I wait a little longer I may get lucky and find an 07 or 08 model. Don't get me wrong, I WANT the new GT. Just too expensive right now.

Oh and the coyote rolled on the lots in 2011 ;-)

Your N95 is great though. That's one of the lightest models to get(next to the old Fox). I've seen a lot of guys do PI head swaps and break low 13's NA with a set of 4.10's.
I was looking into Supercharging my Mustang when I had it, there are a lot of people piecing together their own Vortech systems. You can basically get the entire setup for under $2000 and install it yourself. I would be content with 330ish RWHP naturally aspirated instead now.

Your GT is putting out some fantastic numbers for that body style. What modifications do you have done to her if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
760 Posts
Can't afford the new 5.0 :(

I do everything on a budget lol. I mentioned somewhere before how cheap I am. When I bought my 03GT I got her for $12,000 with 35K miles. Had every factory option other than the Mach1000 Audio setup(was fine by me).

I've found a lot of 05-06 model GT's in my area for sale by owners for around $12,000-15,000. That's right in my price range, if I wait a little longer I may get lucky and find an 07 or 08 model. Don't get me wrong, I WANT the new GT. Just too expensive right now.

Oh and the coyote rolled on the lots in 2011 ;-)

Your N95 is great though. That's one of the lightest models to get(next to the old Fox). I've seen a lot of guys do PI head swaps and break low 13's NA with a set of 4.10's.
I was looking into Supercharging my Mustang when I had it, there are a lot of people piecing together their own Vortech systems. You can basically get the entire setup for under $2000 and install it yourself. I would be content with 330ish RWHP naturally aspirated instead now.

Your GT is putting out some fantastic numbers for that body style. What modifications do you have done to her if you don't mind me asking?
I was trying to remember what year they started the coyote lol. Swing and a miss.

I was at car craft summer nationals in St. Paul last weekend and there was a guy there with a '95 GT that he swapped in a coyote and a tremec T-56. Pretty soon people will start to crash their 2011+ GT's and you will be able to pick up the drivetrain cheap to put in anything you want.

I'm seriously considering this for mine, just gotta wait until there are a few more around, and for Kenne Bell to make a twin screw kit for it. :naughty:

Lemme see if I can remember all of it...
BBK Ceramic coated long tube headers (those were a real ***** to get in)
BBK Cat-less H pipe
SLP Loud mouth 2 cat back exhaust
BBK Cold air intake
Diablo sport ecu flash and custom tune
Brembo Brakes
Russle Stainless brake lines
BBK high flow fuel pump
Accufab 75mm throttle body
Accufab 75mm plenum
Comp cams (I dont remember the number, pretty moderate)
MSD ignition coils
Steeda spark plug wires
Under drive pullies of a brand that I dont remember, but should have bought nicer ones since the paint is pealing off :(

I think thats all of it... I think...

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
the exhaust is loud as EF I bet. I had a friend an 02 GT with the BBK's, no cats and SLP loud mouth. It was too loud for me LOL.

Yep, the LT's are a PITA to install, knew two guys that did it and took them several days. Also knew a girl with LT's but she went back to stock because it was such a PITA swapping out her H pipe(she had a catted and non catted for inspections). Looks easy to swap, it's not though.

If I found a coyote in a salvage yard I would put in a factory 5 car. Have you seen the factory 5 cars? They are kit cars and they are all setup for the 302/305 motors.

Salvage yards are getting smart these days though, I'm sure if they have a wrecked GT with a 5.0 in it, they would charge a good penny for it. Would still be nice to find one though.

I like the Kenne Bell's but their boost comes on to fast. I like a smidget of lag, something that's at 6-8psi around 3,200-3,500 in a Mustang is pretty good. that way you can still drive it in the streets :)

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
Not that it has much to do with this thread, but we designed and make the timing system for the coyote (as well as just about every other Ford V8, some V6's, etc).

·
Registered
760 Posts
the exhaust is loud as EF I bet. I had a friend an 02 GT with the BBK's, no cats and SLP loud mouth. It was too loud for me LOL.

Yep, the LT's are a PITA to install, knew two guys that did it and took them several days. Also knew a girl with LT's but she went back to stock because it was such a PITA swapping out her H pipe(she had a catted and non catted for inspections). Looks easy to swap, it's not though.

If I found a coyote in a salvage yard I would put in a factory 5 car. Have you seen the factory 5 cars? They are kit cars and they are all setup for the 302/305 motors.

Salvage yards are getting smart these days though, I'm sure if they have a wrecked GT with a 5.0 in it, they would charge a good penny for it. Would still be nice to find one though.

I like the Kenne Bell's but their boost comes on to fast. I like a smidget of lag, something that's at 6-8psi around 3,200-3,500 in a Mustang is pretty good. that way you can still drive it in the streets :)
The Exhaust is not nearly as loud as you might think... until you stand on it, then every cop in the county knows you are speeding. But just rumbling around town its really a lot quieter than a lot of the pick ups around here. I really like the exhaust, it has a very nice low grumble at idle and when you are just off idle under load, like cruising through a parking lot of car show.

The car is super fun. Not frighteningly fast but even with posi and 9 inch wide eagle F1's first and second gear are really only there to convert fuel and rubber into noise and smoke. (which never fails to make me smile)

I dont feel so bad about my LT's anymore lol. It took me 20 hours to get them in. The trick is to unbolt the engine and jack it up until the bellhousing almost hits the trans tunnel. Then chase all of the threads in the heads otherwise running the new ARP header studs in is a real PITA.

Gotta love MN and ND, no emissions or smog testing. :) But I would put the BBK H pipe with the high flow cats on if I were to do it all over again. If I don't wash the car all the time, (like every time it runs for over a couple of hours) I get soot stains on the back bumper. But I wash this car more or less every time it goes into the garage.

I am very familiar with Factory 5. My dad and I have discussed building one for the last ten year. I am thinking about buying the kit as a retirement gift for him when he does make that decision. We have also discussed the possibility of putting a coyote motor in that but we have pretty much decided that an aluminum big block would keep the weight down, deliver the power, and make that rumble that we certainly want in a car like that. The downside is then you are talking about a $10k motor and that is one spicy meatball.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
That is pretty neat Dan, always cool to hear about things that go into something like an engine. Most of the time we just appreciate it for what it is and do not think about the countless hours of engineering it takes to make everything work in harmony.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
The car is super fun. Not frighteningly fast but even with posi and 9 inch wide eagle F1's first and second gear are really only there to convert fuel and rubber into noise and smoke. (which never fails to make me smile)

The first month I had my GT I did countless amounts of donuts and smokey burn outs(use to sit still, dump the clutch, grab the brake and mash the throttle). Sadly I never recorded any of it on video.

I'd love to build a factory 5 car, actually, I would love to build one of each of their kits. They all look like too much fun! You will have to keep in touch and let me know if you get your father a kit for retirement.

·
Registered
760 Posts
The first month I had my GT I did countless amounts of donuts and smokey burn outs(use to sit still, dump the clutch, grab the brake and mash the throttle). Sadly I never recorded any of it on video.

I'd love to build a factory 5 car, actually, I would love to build one of each of their kits. They all look like too much fun! You will have to keep in touch and let me know if you get your father a kit for retirement.
I try not to dump the clutch and hit the brakes for long, I had to buy tires once and want to make them last for at least a little while. But in first or second cruising around you can give her a quick throttle jab and spin up the rears. I like to do that when there is a prius or insight behind me :evil6:

We have decided on the Mark III roadster. But all of their kits seem really cool and top notch.

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
That is pretty neat Dan, always cool to hear about things that go into something like an engine. Most of the time we just appreciate it for what it is and do not think about the countless hours of engineering it takes to make everything work in harmony.
It's actually really cool to see how some of this stuff is made.
For instance, the variable cam timing system is designed in house and we make some of the parts here- the VCT housing + rotor are made from powder metal. Powder metal, gravity fed into a die cavity and pressed into shape, sintered and then re-strike for final net shape. Voila. There is machining that takes place secondary but that's not done here. All assembled in some high-tech clean rooms in the other facility.
We also make the cam sprockets and crank sprockets the same way.

Fun fact- timing chains are made in our other facility, but back when they did Roush Racing chain (it may still be done there) it was all assembled by hand- no automation other than transfer belts between a few stations and to get it to the stretcher/inspection area.

I hope I haven't disclosed too much already.

·
Registered
760 Posts
It's actually really cool to see how some of this stuff is made.
For instance, the variable cam timing system is designed in house and we make some of the parts here- the VCT housing + rotor are made from powder metal. Powder metal, gravity fed into a die cavity and pressed into shape, sintered and then re-strike for final net shape. Voila. There is machining that takes place secondary but that's not done here. All assembled in some high-tech clean rooms in the other facility.
We also make the cam sprockets and crank sprockets the same way.

Fun fact- timing chains are made in our other facility, but back when they did Roush Racing chain (it may still be done there) it was all assembled by hand- no automation other than transfer belts between a few stations and to get it to the stretcher/inspection area.

I hope I haven't disclosed too much already.
That is way cool. I love watching manufacturing plants. There are just so many ways to make stuff.

Hopefully the MIB dont come for you...

1 - 20 of 85 Posts