Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up an "08 SV650sf to build a naked.
Using the Skytants 7" LED w/ daytime running lights. Looks great, but the daytime running lights are creating an issue with the built in turn signals.
Turn signals don't really function well in low beam, high beam they function fine.
When I disconnect the daytime running light, the turn signals function fine while in low beam. Don't know why the issue exists. The connections are solid.
Any suggestions are really appreciated.

Jon

·
Registered
7,580 Posts
Make 100% sure your headlamp calls for DRL as brown and your right turn signal is blue and your left is black or whatever the third color is. I think you may have a couple of them mixed up.

·
Registered
7,580 Posts
Also make sure your Hi Lo and Ground connectors at the headlight correctly correspond to the plug on the headlight. It might be that the socket is non-standard.

I say that because, well, #1 I ran into that on my Saturn with 9007 headlight bulbs and my HID kit. And #2, it seems odd to me that your DRLs are on bright when your low beams are on and dim when the high beam is on, and your turn signals work better when the DRLs are dim. I would think since 99% of the time you're riding on low beam, that you would want the DRL to be dim so that the turn signal stands out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Make 100% sure your headlamp calls for DRL as brown and your right turn signal is blue and your left is black or whatever the third color is. I think you may have a couple of them mixed up.
I'm 99.9% certain that the brown is for the DRLs, when I disconnect the DRL (brown) turn signals function as they should in both high and low beam.
Looking at the diagram you posted, I'm wondering if I should try running the DRL off of the high beam line. I'll give that a try later tonight.
Thanks so much for the input!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm 99.9% certain that the brown is for the DRLs, when I disconnect the DRL (brown) turn signals function as they should in both high and low beam.
Looking at the diagram you posted, I'm wondering if I should try running the DRL off of the high beam line. I'll give that a try later tonight.
Thanks so much for the input!
I've got a similar headlight in mine and had a similar problem with them wired the way you've got them now. With the motor off they worked fine but once started they didn't work properly.

So I did what you've just said and wired the drl to come on with high beam and mine works fine now.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Since you have an S model you already have a dedicated wire for daytime running lights. It's the brown one. No need to tap the headlight wires.

Do you have the stock flasher relay or have you changed it to one made for LEDs?

I ran a direct wire to the battery (via a switched terminal strip), and had problems with the indicators as well until I disconnected the DRL for a while. When I reconnected the DRL wire it all of a sudden worked perfectly. So I guess try to run it without the DRL, turn the ignition on and off a few times, and if it all works connect the DRL last.

Btw, the DRL are supposed to turn off completely when one of the indicators is on. They'll turn back on automatically after 1-2 seconds.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I think I'm mistaken about the model SV I have. don't have a dedicated DRL line coming off the harness. Unless it's buried somewhere in the frame.
Last night I double and triple checked all my connections. Got a LED flash relay in there.
Ran my DRL lead to the high beam line. Turn signals worked fine, but no DRL unless I had the high beams on... should've expected that.
At this point, I'm debating disabling the turn signals completely in order to have the DRLs and just putting in stand alone turn signals.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm shelving the DRLs for now. So everything is working perfect, minus the DRLs. There's still a lot of good riding days left and I'd rather ride. When the weather gets nasty, I plan on taking it on again. There's a brown line in the ignition switch branch of the harness that (if my thinking is right) that I could splice into for the DRLs.
This is the schematic I'm working from.

Reality check please.

Thanks to all of you for your input to get me to this point. Appreciate everything,
Jon

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts