Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Next trackday is Monday... high is supposed to be around 60ish, which I'm not too thrilled about. You guys have any advice other than to take it easy in the morning and give tires a couple laps before really pushing later in the day?

How nervous should I be about riding on a cold track? I know it's all about being smooth and getting a feel for the traction availble, but will the pavement and my tires ever heat up enough to be aggressive with braking/acceleration?

lalala.. I know I'm probably about to get a bunch of common sense answers that I already know, but oh well, I need some reinforcement so I dont go out there and do something stupid. ::)

·
Registered
120 Posts
I just rode on a cold track on Monday and did OK. I took it easy in the morning and stepped it up a bit in the afternoon when the sun warmed up the track a bit. High temps were in the lower 60s.

What I did:
1. I used my tire warmers and made sure the tire was well warmed before I went out.
2. I took it easy on the first two laps.
3. I did not go for a personal best, just got out there and practiced lines and technique, and got a feel for the new front end on my bike and the new racing slicks.
4. If I felt anything slide or get weird I backed off a bit.
5. I ran my tires 1 psi lower than usual (as advised by the trackside tire guy) so they would generate more heat.
6. I gave riders I was setting up for passes a little more room when I went by so they did not get spooked.

There were a lot of crashes in the morning sessions despite warnings by the track day organizers to take it easy.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
if it gets in the 60's, then the track and tires would almost be optimal. i dont have any problems going 100%, even when the temps are in the 50's. be sure and check your pressures constantly throughout the day. a lot of riders will set their pressures in the am, then the temp rises 20deg throughout the day, and by the end of the day, the tires gained 3-4psi. in a normal race day, i probably check my pressures a good 5-6 times.

unlike the other guy, i add pressure to pirellis when its cold so they get in the optimum operating range. if its too cold out, the tires wont generate enough heat to get to the proper psi. but i dont set my tire pressures cold, i set them hot using warmers and check them on pit lane to see where they're operating. good luck.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Kris is right, 60's and even 50's are fine. Especially if it's sunny you won't have any problems. If you're not using warmers just give the tires a little extra time to come up to temp.
Back in '99 the CMRA did an October race at Topeka, it was 28 degrees when practice started. We all survived. ;D

·
Registered
109 Posts
wonderjosh said:
Next trackday is Monday... high is supposed to be around 60ish, which I'm not too thrilled about.
You're kidding, right?  I wish I considered 60ish cold for February!

I raced with WERA at Beaverun last April when it was in the low-mid 30's with rain, sleet and snow!  You'll be fine.

·
Registered
113 Posts
60's -Holey gosh man thats like tropical. I'd just ride as you normally would.
My opinion is that its more in the mind than the actual bike at thjat temp.
Everythings gonna feel wrong on the bike if you're over nervous and wound up.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Yeah well, when you are b1tching about your "hot" 91 degree days in July and August Josh and I will comment on how that is just a plesant early spring day. :)

I'll stand up for you Josh. It's cold here in the DFW plex.

Josh, how'd it go. I'm going to Oakhill Friday. Post up in the Regional forum and let me know how the track and tires felt.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jacob said:
Yeah well, when you are b1tching about your "hot" 91 degree days in July and August Josh and I will comment on how that is just a plesant early spring day. :)

I'll stand up for you Josh.  It's cold here in the DFW plex.

Josh, how'd it go.  I'm going to Oakhill Friday.  Post up in the Regional forum and let me know how the track and tires felt.
well yeah, once it got up to 60 it was beautiful... but when we first went out it was right around 40... which makes MSR, which is alreay a notoriously slick track in the mornings, feel like ice at that temperature.

overall, it was an okay day... didnt crash, got to push a lil bit in the afternoon, got to pass some faster bikes and feel like a racer boi. oh, and i didnt crash. ;)

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
good work joshie. i spent yesterday wheelie'n.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts