Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I'm a long time reader of these boards, finally delurking to ask a question. A friend of mine is looking to purchase a '99 SV650 (I have a '00 model) and being that '99 was the first year of the bike, are there any concerns to think of?

For example ... my second ride is a '05 Victory and I would wave anyone off the first two years of Vics because of serious tran issues that Victory refused to acknowledge under warranty.

Just wondering if any of these issues cropped up with the '99 models.

Thanks,
Gino

·
Registered
505 Posts
No worries, there are rarely any first-year quality issues with Japanese bikes. Tell your buddy to go forth and enjoy! The only thing I'd be looking for are maintenance items due to the bike being 7 years old (seals, etc.), and depending upon how many miles are on it and how well taken care of it was, it may need a good once-over to head off any problems. These bikes are virtually bullet-proof.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice everyone, glad to hear no apparent first-year issues with these bikes.

Yah, the mileage on the bike for sale is 10k and the guy is looking to sell it for $3500 (only mod done is an after-market exhaust). Lookign through the FS area on this board, I'm thinking this guy is asking quite a bit too high ... gonna recommend to my friend to counter with $2700 and maybe settle for $3000.

~G

·
Registered
505 Posts
bambino said:
Thanks for the advice everyone, glad to hear no apparent first-year issues with these bikes.

Yah, the mileage on the bike for sale is 10k and the guy is looking to sell it for $3500 (only mod done is an after-market exhaust).  Lookign through the FS area on this board, I'm thinking this guy is asking quite a bit too high ... gonna recommend to my friend to counter with $2700 and maybe settle for $3000.

~G
I would agree that $3500 is a little high for a '99. I'd pay $3k for one in good condition.

·
Registered
43 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
I paid $2,700 for my '99 back in '01 with 4k miles ;D  I now have 18k with no problems to date. I can confirm that Candy Jay Blue is the fastest blue of all.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I love my 99. She's still Jay under the new blue I picked for her so that still counts right? ;D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Again, thanks all! It makes me feel better about my wife's 2000 model as well as being more confident in my friend's decision.

*chuckle*

So this fall (next week, in fact) I'm starting an evening course at Dekalb Technical College here in Atlanta ... motorcycle service technology. Going to take two years at the evening speed but after that I should know my way around a bike pretty well. When the instructor asked me why I was joining, I mentioned that I wanted to make sure I could maintain my bikes. Asking what I had, I responded that I had a new Victory and an older SV650.
He hummed a bit, said he didn't know much about Victory's but guaranteed I wouldn't have to worry about any major stuff with the SV for many, MANY years to come.

·
Registered
432 Posts
$3500 for a '99? Holy crap!

Maybe some markets are a little different but that's still high. Look it over good, make an offer.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I'm in north central florida and I've been looking for a 1st gen sv650. I have talked to alot of people but everyone seems to think their bikes are workth $3500. I'm talking to a girl about buying her 2001 with 1k and "gummed up carbs" (because she left it in the garage for 6 months with a full tank of gas) and a prestine 1999 (red) that has just gotten its 10k service. I'd like to buy the one in Atlanta but I could only talk him down to $3200. The girl said she would come down from the $3000 she is asking but I'm worried there might be other problems besides the carbs (she hasn't gotten a battery yet, to get it started).

·
Registered
432 Posts
Well, things are worth what people will pay I guess. I just couldn't pay $3500 for a six year old bike when there are brand new ones, with 0 miles at dealerships for $5200. That's just me.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Mike said:
$3500 for a '99? Holy crap!

Maybe some markets are a little different but that's still high. Look it over good, make an offer.
I paid $2300 for my '99 blue with 12.5k last april in Central Al. It needed a new chain and sprocket and and had a blown fork seal. It was clean with no rash anywhere.

Stock '99 bikes are bad about surging, and come running very lean. See tips and tricks on how to fix it. However, this is not detrimental, because mine has been this way for 12k and is still fine.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
toyozuki said:
I paid $2,700 for my '99 back in '01 with 4k miles ;D  I now have 18k with no problems to date. I can confirm that Candy Jay Blue is the fastest blue of all.
You betcha!!! ;D I had #00091, in Blue of course. 13k street miles, over a hundred sprint races, a dozen track days and a full endurance season later it was still going strong. I'd buy another in a heartbeat. (Though 2500 seems a lot closer to a fair price than 3500 does.)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts